Company of Heroes 1 - The Great War 1918 mod on steam

Started by Destraex, January 11, 2017, 06:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: Tuna on January 12, 2017, 09:34:24 PM
I forgot, can you rotate the map in COH? I kept trying, but thinking that it should. Tried middle mouse button, right click drag.. the usual GUI rotate styles.

Yes. You must hold left CTRL or ALT down while moving the mouse iirc. Double backspace puts you back at normal camera angle.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

This thread inspired me to give CoH 2 another shot. After playing a skirmish match, I'm back to being uninspired.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Freyland

Could you elaborate, Jarhead? "Wargamers Envying Play Time" (W.E.P.T.) want to know.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Freyland on January 13, 2017, 09:40:01 AM
Could you elaborate, Jarhead? "Wargamers Envying Play Time" (W.E.P.T.) want to know.

It just doesn't do anything for me compared to a game like Men of War Assault Squad. Its too gamey and very little feels authentic and/or historical about the units and vehicles. There are many mods for this game and I am sure there are some that address a bunch of the issues that put me off. I'm not going to give up on it yet, because I have invested a lot into the game with all the DLCs so I at least want to explore what they all added.

I'll play around some more and report back.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

I got everything for a tenner in the steam sale - I'm going in this weekend

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Nah - isn't that call to arms? I have that

There's a thorough rework of mow2

This one - ww3 call of duty mod

JasonPratt

I subscribed to the Pacific War mod for CoH1, too, while I was at it. (I forget the official title.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

trek

Interesting how we all differ on RTS games. JH seems to like MOW AS2 better than COH. I just uninstalled AS2. Just got tired of the long grind in the game. I go all the way back to Soldiers Heroes of WW2 with the devs. AS2, unless you play some mods like Sir Hinckels  the game is just glorified skimishes that I just got burnout on after years of playing. However I'm loving Call to Arms with the new FPS Direct Control Mode and I find the modern warfare setting more enjoyable. I hope more RTS games will have the FPS feature.

As far as COH goes I agree on the authenticity statement but for me the gameplay and pacing is better and just plain more fun. I especially like the SP Campaigns in COH1 including Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor which I think are still  some of the best ever done in an RTS. I bought COH2 and all the DLC when it came out but uninstalled it a few months back. I didn't think it measured up to COH1 in the SP portion or their take on the Eastern Front in general. I do think the Allied DLC was better, though not enough for me to keep it on my HD over COH1. Maybe I played too much of the EF Mod in COH1 before COH2 came out.

Two more good mods for COH1 are Europe at War available on Steam and Battle of Crete on MODDB. Playing BOC with German Paras is a blast.

Jarhead0331

^ Battle of Crete, you say? Now CoH1 has my attention.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

trek

Just remember that COH BOC has no SP Campaign just skirmish battles. There are seven based on the historical engagements: Olive Groves, Maleme, Heraklion Airfield, Mouzouras, etc. The modder did a pretty good job even modeling the JU-52. On MDDB you'll find it under COH Opposing Fronts. Also there is the Steam Compatible Eastern Front Mod v3.6 which you might have tried. It won the MODDB award years ago for best mod of the year.

On another note: Also on the site under vanilla COH you will find one of my old favorites the Cross of Iron Mod. In it you can use Waffen SS troops and the uniforms look good right down to the camo smocks and runes on the collar badges. I got one of the versions to work with Steam COH but I can't remember now which one. If anyone here is interested I can look for it on my backup HDD and give you the info on it and how to successfully install it. But give it a try first on your own it might work as is.

Finally, the Blitzkrieg Mod is there too and many consider it as one of the best for COH and changing the gameplay to more realism.