What's the latest news?

Started by Staggerwing, September 21, 2013, 06:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Cool! Looking forward to more...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

rdockal

Year End Status for WWII Europe development:

I could not be more pleased at the latest news.  I had some time off from my day job, and made lots of progress.

1. Terrain array complete.  434 x 360 hexes.  We store 25+ pieces of static information per hex, so this was a big effort.

2. City array complete.  WWIIE has 3735 cities and towns to fight over.  We store 6 pieces of information per city/town. This was also a big effort.

3. Two scenarios fully complete and usable. Saving Moscow (#54) and Bagration (#91) are the two.  8 more are close to completion.

4. Many small bug fixes and game improvements have been implemented.

The game plays well as is, but I'm sure the playtesters will have some suggested improvements as we test each scenario.  The items left on the "To Do" list are complete the scenarios, test, improve the AI, update the help pages and build the manual.  Everything else is ready.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of my wargamer friends.

Ron

Staggerwing

Thanks for the update Ron!

And release day is projected to be... ? *holds breath*

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

rdockal

I am holding my breath also.  WWII-Europe is a huge effort, but release date really depends on my day job.  Having said that, my goal is September 2014 in time for the next Christmas season.

Ron

Bison

Well that's good for me.  I've got a serious backlog of games to catch up on!

rdockal

More WWII-Europe development status:

1. A total of 9 scenarios have been converted to use the complete terrain and city arrays.

2. Additionally, I developed scenario #8 Sealion 1940.  Interesting scenario.  I have been play testing it.  The Germans can get a foothold in southeast England, but the Home Fleet sorties and cuts off supply.  Significant battles as the Ju87 air units attack the Home Fleet.  England prevails in every playtest, with the British naval and air losses being the only variance.  I really like the custom cursors which allow you to switch between ground, air and naval unit display and selection  seamlessly.

3. I have spent some time documenting design notes for WWII-Europe in general, and for each scenario.  This will be part of the WWII-E manual.  You guys will like this.  Why did we choose attack factors, defense factors, move factor and training/experience/morale numbers as we did?  This will get you into the details of how we develop a wargame.

Ron

Staggerwing

Thanks again for the updates. September seems so very far off!

BanzaiCat

Great to see this going, Ron. I believe I covered RGW many years ago back at WG. You're still in Texas, correct?

In any case this is fantastic news and indeed a long time to wait.

rdockal

@ Staggerwing.  September seems so close to us!  So much playtesting to do.  It is fun though.

@ Banzai_Cat.  I remember on RGW.  We released that game in 2001, and it is still selling.  WWII-Europe will finally replace it.  And yes, we are still in Texas near Houston.

Ron

spelk

Great news to hear that we have a projected release date for WWIIE! Good luck with the remaining development and playtesting Ron!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: rdockal on January 08, 2014, 10:01:38 PM
@ Staggerwing.  September seems so close to us!  So much playtesting to do.  It is fun though.

@ Banzai_Cat.  I remember on RGW.  We released that game in 2001, and it is still selling.  WWII-Europe will finally replace it.  And yes, we are still in Texas near Houston.

Ron

Yep, I'm the guy that lives just north of Houston. Never moved. :)

Glad you're still going strong, sir.

rdockal

WWII-Europe status:

1. Completed Battle of Britain scenario.  Added some new code to allow for this battle.  77 targets (airfields, Chain Home radar sites, and manufacturing/population centers). Goal of the scenario for the German is to bomb these targets, while England fighters is to knock the bombers out of the sky.  Rewards given for destroying targets.  Best to maximize the destruction of one of the three.

2. Scenarios 2 through 8, 43, 44, 54 and 91 are now ready for playtest #3. Scenarios 10, 15, 29, and 37 are almost ready.

3. Completed code that allows the map to be centered on a city picked from a list for each scenario. Right click, select City Locator, then left click on city name.  Really handy when performing long range air and naval operations.

Ron

rdockal

Continuing development on WWII-Europe.  Scenarios 2-8, 10-16, 43,44,54 and 91 are now complete.  Updated the help files.  Designers Notes section is particularly interesting with all sorts of information about how the scenario is modeled, where the OOB came from, special rules, etc.
Updated some of the graphics to have a classier look.

Ron

Staggerwing

Classy is good! I am really looking forward to this.

jnpoint

Will the games in future be available as digital download?
and are there no videos with Schwerpunkt games-gameplay?