Brothers in Arms at GOG (and on sale)

Started by DoctorQuest, January 18, 2019, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I've never had more than realistic problems with aiming: down the sights is always better, rifles generally better but depends. German k94 is kind of crap except for sniping. M4 is godly average. Pick up a German submachine gun pronto, ditch your 45 caliber tommy gun.

I mean, it isn't Red Orchestra, but the spread of accuracy and stopping power is fine for me.

I've noticed that the complaints for part 3 partly boil down to the weapons being too arcade shooty, unlike the moar-realism of the first two games.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: Toonces on January 19, 2019, 10:29:09 PM
What kills it for me, is the horrible inaccuracy of the weapons.  I've played enough FPS shooters to know how to line up an iron sight on a baddy and kill him, but for some reason in this game it seems almost as if there's a random number generator like Morrowind rolling a dice to see if I hit when I'm otherwise lined up.

Let me know if you's guys's experiences are different.  This is a game I really want to work through, but after about an hour I've always had enough.  I know it's a good game, I just can't find it for myself.

I had exactly the same experience - though I did play all the way through the first one.  The impression I had was that the devs were trying to say,"Look, this is realistic - it's a lot harder to shoot in real life than in a videogame", but as you say, it just generated a disconnect between shooting a bullet and its effect. A bit like war films pre-SPR.

I also struggled with the way some of the scenarios were just puzzles.

That said I enjoyed the sounds of the guns and the whole ambience of the game.

Sir Slash

I liked the shooting part. What killed it for me was completing a mission while getting Red, Lefty, and Joe-Bob killed and then having them show up for the next mission healthy and ready to go and wanting to talk about their girlfriend back home. I hope they fixed this at some point.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.