Wonder Woman 84

Started by JasonPratt, December 08, 2019, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

So, the first trailer finally drops!

:bd:

The bad guy with the dubious hair is OrAnGe MaN bAd... I mean "Maxwell Lord", one of DC's evil businessmen/industrialists. Not sure if he's still alive in the current canon, but he's mostly famous for having his neck snapped by a reaaaaaallly poor choice of taunting Diana: he has mind-control powers, powerful within some limits, and he was currently using Superman to tank the Justice League. WW caught up to Lord and ordered him to stop, and the smarmy dip said basically, "Why, what're gonna do, trolololACK?"

There was a theory going around that Steve Trevor, back in the film (as noted), was some kind of mind-screw set up by ML; but he clearly interacts with other people (up to and including flying a jet plane? Is this where she'll get her invisible jet? No doubt there will be a reference at least.)

The blonde with the (apparent) crush on Diana will be the speedster villain Cheetah (having a crush on Diana/WW would be a new thing for her, I think). No clue why or how she gets that way in this film yet, so far as I could see; in fact no clear reason in the trailer why this character is even important. She might have just as well been setting up Giganta or anyone else.

Interesting that Diana will be picking up (what looks like maybe) her "Goddess of Truth" armor! That suggests a massive scale-up to the threat level. Not sure why; Lord isn't that much of a threat by himself (he's just a regular guy without training or tech or combat powers), and neither is Cheetah (she's just really fast, but not Flash-level fast.)

Nice to see more Paradise Island scenes. This happens in 1984, so it's still a prequel to Dawn of Justice and Justice League by several decadAAAHHH THE AGE IT BURRRNNNSSS!  :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

1984? You'd think the bad guy would be named, 'Big Brother'.  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 08, 2019, 11:37:07 PM
1984? You'd think the bad guy would be named, 'Big Brother'.  :P

There are indications that the DC villain "Brother Eye" will be in the film!

Also, Metallica's Ride the Lightning album was released in 1984, and well...  :coolsmiley:

One plot element that has been rather downplayed in the trailer, is that WW runs up against the Soviet Union -- that's presumably who's doing the fighting in the desert with the truck flip. They would be involved with the Brother Eye side of the plot (in keeping with any Orwellian references); Max Lord might be looking to use the Eye technology to extend any magically granted powers.

I strongly suspect that there's a wish-granting thingy which is how Steve is back (the director has insisted that he definitely died in his sacrificial act at the end of WW1), and so we'll get back around eventually to Diana snapping Lord's neck to stop him from doing something nefarious, with the cost being that Steve must cease existing again.

I would not be surprised if the writers also merge "Maxwell Lord" with the classic Batman villain "Maxie Zeus" (a similar industrialist who goes insane and starts imagining he's Zeus, gathering minions with powers similar to the Greek gods).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

jamus34

On a side note I am freaking amazed at Pedro Pascal's ability to channel other actors as a bad guy.

Kingsman 2 - He did a near perfect Burt Reynolds (ala The Bandit) impression / impersonation.

WW 1984 - At the 1:10 he looks very much like a younger Nathan Fillion (maybe channeling his Caleb stint in Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

I'll probably wait until video but this is one of the few DC's properties that I can watch and not risk my eyes bleeding.
Insert witty comment here.

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Quote from: jamus34 on December 09, 2019, 09:16:14 PM
WW 1984 - At the 1:10 he looks very much like a younger Nathan Fillion (maybe channeling his Caleb stint in Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

That's exactly what I was thinking: why does he look like a de-aged Fillion??

Martok

I'm already psyched for this one.  :bd: 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

besilarius

So far the enthusiasm seems pretty strong.

https://gph.is/14niwl5
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

I can listen to this on loop for a while.  8)

(Caution: I do not recommend trying to find the original version from 1984. It does not sound like the Terminator, and is clearly made by and for people who are taking insane amounts of drugs.)

airboy

Weird - I've not seen a single trailer for this at the movies.  We go to a lot of movies including Jumanji yesterday.  Has the release been delayed?

Martok

It was originally supposed to come out last month (November), until it was pushed back to June. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces