The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 - Into Africa! (No Berto!)

Started by Crossroads, October 03, 2015, 03:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #3 - Gimel Company

Time to push on then, with my main force.

I observed an Egyptian truck-mounted AA team shooting and scooting during the replay, and as this is a non-paved road that costs them more movement points than paved one, I thought I'd immediately push after them. They are spotted during the same turn, for I had APs to enter the hex thery were in, was not able to enter of course but instead revelaled their counter.

I also had the AP to destroy them. Ha!

Next, time to rid that LMG section harrasing me.

I have a Jeep/RCLR (recoilles rifles) team sitting on a hill behind me, they engage the LMG position first. Then, relying there's no one at the hex immediate to my north, I move my two Shot'Kal troops for close support. Hostile LMGs take a couple of retreats, possibly losing some SPs too, but on EFOW I don't see the firing results, and I don't bother to check the Strength Dialog just now...

Here's then the situation at the end of my turn 3.

I stopped at where I got last turn, and saved some APs for Op Fire should there be an immediate counter attack. It is a bit worrying there's two paved roads at my flanks, allowing for fast movement. The road by the canal needs to pass my fire base east of Canal though, so I am not overly worried. Time to plot some artillery, and finish the turn then.

See my Bde leader, leading from the front he is. Leaders can't be targeted alone as long as there's accompanying units in the same hex. A lone leader can be killed though, and even when with friendlies they are suspect to in-direct artillery fire. When attacking, I do lead with my Leaders though. Good for morale and assist in recovering from Disruption. Also, they pack their SP worth of factors to firing missions, as long as they have as many APs as the fire cost of the firing unit. Direct fire only, and they need to be from the same organization as the firing unit.

The other Para platoon is out of APs, while the other one retains enough for one firing mission. Should an enemy move to their LOS and within the set range of my Opportunity Fire, they will be fired at. More of Op Fire in coming turns.

Of my two Rocket SPAs I leave the other one out to secure they've got loaded tubes come next turn. The other rocket artillery will fire, as will my two 155mm batteries.

I put two fire missions to the empty village in front of me, I hope Berto can't resist on putting a forward observing post there...
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Situation End of Israeli Turn #3

I finally open the Strength Dialog. Not bad! I took no casualties during my active turn, but there's the Egyptian counter move with some of my units unsecured so let us see how it goes...

Victory Dialog reports a good start, but I really need to keep moving before Berto can get too organized. I hope he has not really yet detected my strenghts at each sector, and will have to take some thinking as which of them to address first.  :knuppel2:

It is a fine line between Draw and Minor Win, every loss or kill counts. Often, it is not only about Objectives, but avoiding unnecessary losses too. I really would need to push for the Major Win, so let us see how this goes. Should I feel a Major win is within my grasp, I will notch the aggressiveness level up. The early moves have been pretty aggressive though. Let us see the situation come next turn. Again, Berto is sure to pick on the most vulnerable leading units of mine.

And over to Berto! Working week commencing, it might be a few days until my next move.

Meanwhile, any questions let me know!

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #4

And so it continues. Having received the PBEM file from berto it is time to boot up the game again and to open the file for a replay. I am particularly curious how I guessed his movement with my artillery plotting...

Lucked out, it turns out:

The Egyptian artillery phase properly wiped out my Jeep/RCLR team from that hilltop. Should have known better than to keep them in enemy LOS for two consecutive turns... During the battle replay, a hidden HMG team pops out in front of my leading Aleph Coy platoon, costing me a SP. Quite nicely, they are now on my artillery's crosshairs...

Also, my leading platoon from Beth Coy in the center lost a SP to Egyptian fire.

That's it though, could have been worse I guess. Time to hit back!

Crossroads

Turn #4 Aleph and Beth Companies

The two artillery strikes I called in town during the previous turn managed to both hit a hostile platoon, causing the rifle platoon to retreat, possibly in a retreated state.

I move my HMG team below theirs, and firing at it causes it to retreat too. Time to bring in the armored support team then:

With the AA APC and Centurions, the Egyptian rifle platoon takes hits and retreats out of town to the scrubs behind it. Then, calling in the Beth Coy one of their platoons moves south, to trap the Egyptian HMG team. Moving my APC behind it to not allow it to retreat, I call an assault:

Captured! Why the downbeat look fellas, we've got great shawarma at out POW camp! Sometimes assault+capture is the quickest way to overcome a disrupted enemy unit with a low morale. Worked this time!

Crossroads

Turn #4 - Gimel Company

The replay left a Syrian T-55 platoon at my LOS. Curiously, it did not fire at my infantry. Or maybe it did not see them. Regardless, knowing berto, it is set there for an ambush, maybe even Op Fire target against armored targets only?

Not taking any chances, my forward platoons move in an attack it, causing a kill or two, and a retreat. Then, time to bring my Centurion troops to finish them off, hopefully!

Clear! Finishing my move, I bring forward an infantry cover, and move my few armored assets behing their protection:

Crossroads

End of turn #4

Not a bad turn for my paras: loss of 2 Para platoon SPs and 2 Jeep SPs with the line of Egyptian casualties growing...

Here, then is the end of turn situation. One point to Minor Victory.

My plan for the next move is to surround and capture the Egyptian infantry platoons, in disrupted state, seriously hindering their capabilities to retreat out of harms way. Then, Aleph Coy will remain in the area securing the two bridges, preventing any sneaky Egyptian counter attack to my rear areas. Beth and Gimel Coys will then combine a push North, first towards the Objectives there, and depending how it goes, then towards the Northern edge of the map, for the remaining Objectives.

That's where Egyptian artillery park resides too, would be nice to be able to close it down. So far I have prevented from placing random Indirect-fire-by-map counter battery fire there. Might start doing it though.

Egyptian turn #3  next though, let us see what berto got in his sleeves... As obvious from the screenshots above, the terrain here is very difficult for a consistent LOS in front of my advance. Plenty of ambushes ahead I am sure!

Crossroads

Turn #5

First, as a reminder, there's a DAR going on at the Matrix CS:ME AAR forum, so if you want to have a look at the life from the other side, here's the link again:

Quote from: Crossroads on October 03, 2015, 03:20:43 AM
I am playing a PBEM game vs Berto, our lead programmer. 

There's a DAR going on at the Matrix CS:ME Forum by him but since I am not allowed for a peek I will post here instead. Berto writes a mean report, so if interested to see the life from the Egyptian side of the trenches, have a peek there.

What's new this turn is I just received the second BETA (of many) of CS:ME 1.01 UPDATE, to be released according to the plan come end of November.

On my behalf I am working on the 2D counters and NATO icons for that little detail here and there, so things are smoothing out as there's a chance to touch all the little areas we did not have the time for the 1.00 release.

Crossroads

Turn #5 - Aleph Company

Having spent their time for three turns now in Disrupted state, my leading platoon now stacked with a Leader recovers as of beginning of this turn. Finally! Time to head straigth to North with them, to catch up that Disrupted Egyptian rifle platoon probably making a slow retreat towards friendly lines (for Disruption affects Movement Cost too, among other things).

On show here are the bit brighter blue Israeli counters being considered for 1.01.

Next, time to deal with the other disrupted hostile rifle platoon I pretty much surrounded last turn. I move my paras around it, and Assault it from opposite directions. First assault - no result... Second assault - Captured! Planning your assaults in a manner you can have several of them with decent odds rather than one massive one often pays off better, as was the case here.

Things are wrapping up really nicely at Aleph Coys area. No hostiles in LOS any more...

Crossroads

Turn #5 - Headquarters

I have just the single Arm'd Infantry platoon protecting my Headquarters, Fixed for the duration of this scenario.

One of the new features just put in is the ability to show both Contours and Hex Grid at the same time, something visible here as the Arm'd Infantry climbs a small rise to have a LOS around the area.

With latest BETA, the Counter Stats are placed a bit better now.

The four values, from top left to bottom right are

- Strength
- Morale
- Assault
- Defense

Crossroads

Turn #5 - Beth Company

Here is the situation with Beth and Gimel Coys at this stage. You can also observe my Aleph Coy pushing North on the road west of the railroad.

The next step I set up during the previous turn is the capture or destruction of the isolated Egyptian rifle platoon holding the village, and preventing the Beth to move north to join Gimel in clearing the vital bridge, held by yet another Egyptian rifle platoon.

First things first though. I move one of the Gimel platoons to block its route of retreat, then close my HMG team to fire at them, causing a retrat. Nice, it can't escape North anymore!

To wrap up things, one of the Arm'd Engineer platoons closes in to fire at them, then the two Centurion troops close in for the kill, or in this case, an Assault. With Extreme FOW in place, this is a bit unnerving for not knowing the odds The Egyptians there should be pretty shaken at this stage though...

Success. POW camp is thattaway lads, plenty of shawarma for everyone!

Crossroads

End of Israeli Turn #5

This was a nicely smooth turn. It is rare for things to go according to plan. What do they say again? If you're attack proceeds surprisingly well you're likely heading towards an ambush! I guess I will find out.

Here's the Strength report at this stage:

And the overall position of my Para Bde at the end of turn, before plotting my artillery for the next turn:

Turn #5 saw 10 enemy SPs killed or captured against a loss of 2 friendly SPs.

Of course, berto's to have his turn 5 moves next to even out things. Regardless, I now moved to Minor Victory range, and hope to remain there for the duration of the game.

Over to you, berto!

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #6

This being weekend, I receive the turn back from berto pretty much right away. Time to hit the trenches again, then! With the pace this battle is going, there's no time to dig in, though.

Aleph Company

Beginning of turn sees the Egyptian rifle platoon at my gun sights. I fire at it twice with my Para platoon, and then assuming there's no risk of Op Fire anymore bring in my meatchoppers for close support. The Egyptian platoon takes a couple of retreats and finds himself at the edge of the map. Berto's have a chance to take it off the map come next turn, to have it disappear into desert so to say.

There's hardly any clear terrain hexes to see his Strength. With EFOW in place, enemy Strength can only be observed while at clear.

Next turn I'll have my Bn Leader (on foot) moving towards the action again, and will have my sole APC coming to meet him. With the effect on morale, he'll be needed near the front. Incoming artillery alone causes now kills and disruptions, as things have slowed down a bit in the middle with Beth and Gimel coys.

Crossroads

Turn #6 - Beth Company

Watching the replay was a bit of a painful experience this time. Lost a few SPs and two or three Disruptions to enemy artillery phase alone. Time to hit back!

My routes of advance are both blocked at this stage by enemy counters, one at the Beth Coys route of advance, and two blocking the Gimel company at the vital bridge crossing:

I will deal with the one blocking Beth from advancing. With LOS at minimum I am only guessing, but it would seem there'd be a chance to bypass it from both flanks. I chose the left flank in order not to receive any Op Fire from the counters at the bridge hex.

So if you look at the pic above, and then this one, what I did I brought the 6SP Para pltn up one hex to fire at the enemy counter. I then had the full 100AP available to my leading platoon, which with Double Time used will allow me to flank the enemy to its rear. Moving there, the LOS rule reveals the trucks that were in the hex. I only saw them because I had the APs to enter the hex.

Time to fix those hand grenades for a close assault again:

"Passengers Eliminated", read the result. Oh wow, they were bringing reinforcements, not retrieving the forward platoon.

Then, time to hit the now surrounded rifle platoon. Moving on paved roads my 3rd platoon moves at Double Time to have the APs at one assault attempt at the enemy. Success. My paras are on a roll here.

Not to become complacent, I now move one of the Aleph Coy platoons to guard my left flank. Visible Hexes toggled ON:

With Beth's left flank secured, time to see if I can force the bridge now with the reinforced Gimel Coy.

Crossroads

Turn #6 - Gimel Company

Before moving with Gimel, I had a look whether I can already deny the enemy there a retreat route. I've got my HMG team on the APCs, and with Reachable Hexes highlighted, while having pressed Save AP for Loading/Unloading, I can observe how far they could go.

For a second I am tempted to have them flying in an unload at the crossroads to 10VP Objective, but since I have no LOS there I decide to move them to hex with my Arm'd Engineers instead for fire support. APCs will then retrieve the Para Bn Leader next turn from Aleph Coy.

Then, as an opening move, I will move the 6SP Para Platoon and the Arm'd Eng Platoon to flank the 20VP Objective from the 1o'clock position:

Only to find out the area was guarded by an HMG team. My Paras take a 1SP casualty and retreat, using all their APs while at it. I return the fire with Arm'd Engineers to no effect:

Then I pound the enemy from South with first my HMG team there, then with first Sho't Kal troop, then with another, finally causing one disruption. Villages give a Terrain modifier, which together with unlucky dice denied my access to bridge hex. I was hoping for a retreat at least.

Still, there seems to be a chance come next turn to make a little pocket of the defending forces here, should I be able to close the hexes marked with arrows. Time to plot the artillery and wait for the next turn. I have units in depth, so should my forward counters disrupt I should have fresh troops coming in from behind.

Finally, time to check that enemy counter under the 25VP Objective next to my Fire Support base East of Suez Canal...

Crossroads

Turn 6 - Fire Support Base

Sagger team! ATGMs pack a huge punch where available, so I better hope for good luck with fire resolutions next!  :o

I select all four Sho't Kal troops and fire at the enemy. Each counter will calculate separately, and with the enemy on Rubble, with a good Terrain Modifier for defense, at least some of them remain there. I could now retreat, but I'd lose the LOS to them, and would give them the advantage. Instead, I fire again, and hope for the best. This time I do check the Strength Dialog immediately, and notice 5SP worth of Saggers destroeyd. So it was a full 6SP team.

With only one of them remaining, and Disrupted at that, I can assume they will be dealt with next turn, against a loss of one or two tanks most I hope.

So here we stand then, with the Egyptian turn 6 to come:

Egyptians were hit pretty hard again. I racked up casualties worth 3SP of infantry, but they lost like 18SPs worth of units.

I have 234 VPs from kills and captures, agains a loss of 66 VPs of friendly units. In addition, there's 55VPs I've obtained from Objectives.

Often, Objectives are not the route to victory, like is the case here. Regardless, the Objectives around the river crossing are now strongly contested by my Paras.

Over to Berto for his countering moves!