Mental Health Crisis

Started by Gusington, April 25, 2018, 10:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Stagger, please come sit here in this nice chair with the leather seat belts on it. They're not for you, they're for somebody else but he's not here right now so it's OK for you to use them. See? We're all friends here, right?   :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RommelFox

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 27, 2018, 11:55:46 AM
I can relate Fox. My wife's sister was a long term alcoholic that needed to be committed often but nowhere was allowed to keep her longer than it took her to dry-out even if she was a threat to herself. Fortunately we found a local religious based private facility that did take her. She was able to stay there and complete their program and was discharged but, ultimately went back to drinking again. But the average person who needs a help with a loved one gets doped-up and shuffled to the back. And the costs of Psych meds are prohibitive.  :arr:

That is definitely not a fun situation.  And as others have said, the stigma associated with mental health makes things worse for everyone involved.  Saying my wife has cancer would be met with offers of help and sympathy, but saying she has mental issues will make the room so quiet you could hear a pin drop.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Windigo

I agree with the sentiment expressed here - there is a large stigma around those with poor mental health. Its a huge problem and people are not completely aware of it.

Friends, family coworkers and complete strangers struggling with poor mental health impact you and your loved ones probably on a daily basis. Asshole coworkers, under productive coworkers, family members with substance dependencies, teachers, police, healthcare professionals, the sullen unhelpful retail employee, jerk drivers - hell I could go on.

Its not a distant problem that doesn't affect you and your family because every single person you and your family deal with are healthy, we just don't readily recognize it - we right them off as just jerks, weirdos and wildly incompetent.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Sir Slash

My Step-Mother just passed recently but before that was in an Alzheimer's place. My Sister, Brother-In-Law and I went there to see her several times and they both were VERY uncomfortable being in that environment with her and the other clients. It is disturbing but the care there was good and the staff efficient but some people just cannot handle those situations. I don't blame them for that but people need to understand that Mental Illness can be very ugly and difficult to deal with for everyone. Hopefully more successful treatments lay ahead in the future.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

I can totally admire how difficult it is for someone to deal with mental health patients while also admitting that I would run screaming in the other direction if anyone ever asked me to do it
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.