Main Menu

Bob Stoops Retires!

Started by Steelgrave, June 07, 2017, 02:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Maybe a year with a TV gig and then he's back coaching most likely.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

I just read that Stoop's father was a high school football coach who had a heart attack on the job and passed later that night, an event that apparently made a huge impression on Stoops, who said he never wanted to be carried off the job, overstay his time or be forced out.

Well, if Oklahoma had a Mt. Rushmore, there would be four faces on it: Will Rogers, Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops. It's no coincidence three of the four were Sooner head coaches. This state loves the Sooners.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on June 07, 2017, 03:42:44 PM
Wow.  This is pretty surprising, but I doubt he stays out of coaching for too long.

He's waiting for Bill Snyder to retire and take the K-State job! ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Steelie,

Is there any talk that he just felt he couldn't compete with the bigger schools being at OK.  That to get another national title he needs to go somewhere else.  I'm just asking, not saying that's the case.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2017, 04:02:06 PM
Quote from: Bison on June 07, 2017, 03:42:44 PM
Wow.  This is pretty surprising, but I doubt he stays out of coaching for too long.

He's waiting for Bill Snyder to retire and take the K-State job! ;D

It is one of the most desirable jobs in college football.  O0

bayonetbrant

Local radio here just brought up a very interesting idea. He recharges for a year or two, and when Notre Dame gets sick of Brian Kelly, darn if Bob Stoops isn't sitting there available
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2017, 04:13:46 PM
Local radio here just brought up a very interesting idea. He recharges for a year or two, and when Notre Dame gets sick of Brian Kelly, darn if Bob Stoops isn't sitting there available

I'm not sure about Norte Dame, but it makes sense.  Unless he can pull a Gruden and get a commentator job.

Steelgrave

Quote from: OJsDad on June 07, 2017, 04:04:17 PM
Steelie,

Is there any talk that he just felt he couldn't compete with the bigger schools being at OK.  That to get another national title he needs to go somewhere else.  I'm just asking, not saying that's the case.

Not at all. The OU football program gets tremendous support from the University, the fans and the state and OU does quite well recruiting, often nabbing the cream of Texas recruits. Stoops could announce a run for Governor tomorrow and be the odds-on favorite.

My guess is he honestly wants a year or two off and then may explore coaching options again. It's a certainty that he will be linked to every hot coaching job that comes open until he either takes one or folks decide he's really retired. And OU is reporting that for now Stoops will retain some sort of position at OU. Not sure what that will look like yet.

OJsDad

Thanks Steelie.  Didn't think that was the case.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.