All-time baseball list...

Started by bayonetbrant, January 06, 2015, 09:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

So today's Hall of Fame announcement got me thinking -

Best baseball player to never win a World Series is ____________?

Totally cool with 2 different lists, for field players and pitchers.

Ted Williams?
Don Mattingly?
Ernie Banks?
Craig Biggio?
Nolan Ryan?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Ted Williams, but there a lot of great players that never won a world series pennant.  Of course I'm partial and would say Harmon Killebrew.

MetalDog

Donnie Baseball most definitely.  Ken Griffey, Jr.  Mr. May, Dave Winfield.  I'm sure there's more.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Dave Winfield he won a series with the Blue Jays.

MetalDog

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember something to that effect.  Thanks for the correction.

Bison

I pretty sure Rod Carew never won a series.  Tony Gwinn for sure.  Every decent Boston play after Ruth left and before 2000 whatever it was when the won again.  Every single Chicago Cubs play in the last century and they had some good ones.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 10:22:51 PMEvery single Chicago Cubs play in the last century and they had some good ones.

yeah, but they had a lot of those guys that won titles elsewhere.  Exhibit A: Greg Maddux
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2015, 10:56:44 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 10:22:51 PMEvery single Chicago Cubs play in the last century and they had some good ones.

yeah, but they had a lot of those guys that won titles elsewhere.  Exhibit A: Greg Maddux

I should caveat it.  Ernie Banks, Ryan Sandberg, that guy who interfered with the foul ball in the playoffs...

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 10:58:49 PMthat guy who interfered with the foul ball in the playoffs...

Actually, Moises Alou was on the '97 Marlins....

or were you referring to these guys:

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2015, 11:04:08 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 06, 2015, 10:58:49 PMthat guy who interfered with the foul ball in the playoffs...

Actually, Moises Alou was on the '97 Marlins....

or were you referring to these guys:

Yeah Bart.  The keeper of the curse.

MetalDog

Tim Raines never won one, did he?  Andre Dawson?  Those awesome Expos teams with Gary Carter, Tim Wallach, Stever Rogers, Larry Parrish and so on.

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 06, 2015, 11:05:34 PM
Tim Raines never won one, did he?  Andre Dawson?  Those awesome Expos teams with Gary Carter, Tim Wallach, Stever Rogers, Larry Parrish and so on.

No Raines and Dawson didn't, but I think Carter won with the Mets.

bayonetbrant

Carter captained the '86 Mets

Raines was on the '96 and '98 Yankees

Dawson got a ring with the '03 Marlins, but it was for his front office work with that team, since he's retired from the Marlins in '96.

Bison

I don't recognize the Yankees as World Series Champions.

MetalDog

Because you're a hater and fomenter of sports unrest.