Steel Division 2 Brings Single Player Strategic map campaign similar to totalwar

Started by Destraex, August 25, 2018, 04:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

So psyched for this. If the game lives up to what's being previewed in the Dev Diaries, it should be amazing. I enjoyed Steel Division a lot, but the operational level Eugen has been describing makes it look like SDII might rival Graviteam Tactics / Tank Warfare, which in my book is very high praise indeed...

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

acctingman

My apologies for semi hi-jacking this thread (but it's some what related).

I haven't touched SD1 since I bought it. Been too busy with other things. That being said, I really want to start playing SD1 before SD2 comes out. Can anyone recommend a good "how to" let's play video sort of tutorial for SD1?

What little I do remember is that I have to play this game on slow mo....it was way too fast for me otherwise  :uglystupid2:

Thanks

Pete Dero

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/197133/steel-division-2-in-april

Eugen Systems announces April 4th is the official release date for Steel Division 2, their World War II real-time strategy sequel. The game is now available for pre-purchase on Steam, and that advance commitment offers beta access as well as a 48 hour head-start on the full game when it launches. They also reveal that owners of the original Steel Division: Normandy 44 will also receive a bunch of units from that game in the sequel. A new Back To War Trailer illustrates the news, which follows:

As a special thanks to Steel Division fans for their longtime support, Steam users who already own Steel Division: Normandy 44 can expect eight exclusive divisions with over 350 extra units from the original title when Steel Division 2 launches later this year. These 350 units will join over 600 brand-new units from the Allies and Axis factions in the sequel for a total of over 950 units in Steel Division 2. There is no need to pre-order Steel Division 2 to take advantage of this exclusive offer.

In Steel Division 2, fans can look forward to deploying some of the most famous units and divisions from Steel Division: Normandy 44, including the Sherman Jumbo tank from the United States of America, the Churchill IV heavy infantry tank from the United Kingdom, the Spitfire Mk9B tank from Canada, the Sherman M4A2 from France, and many more. For a complete list of divisions and units, please visit the official Steel Division 2 page on Steam.

In addition, Steel Division: Normandy 44 owners who purchase can also look forward to exclusive new units in Steel Division 2, including:

Long Tom 155 mm howitzer (US)
        PIAT Scout (UK)
        AEC Matador (CAN)
        Panzer III N (GER)
        Do 217 Bombing plane (GER)
        Fw 58 Recon plane (GER)
        Panzer IV F1 (GER)

Players who pre-order any edition of Steel Division 2 can also expect guaranteed access to game's Beta phase. Scheduled to start later this year, the Steel Division 2 beta will offer players exclusive access to an early build of the game ahead of its 2019 launch. In addition, players who pre-order the Commander Deluxe Edition, General Deluxe Edition, or Total Conflict Edition will also benefit from 48-hours of early access to the game ahead of the worldwide launch for Steel Division 2.

Pete Dero

Quote from: acctingman on January 31, 2019, 09:41:43 AM

I haven't touched SD1 since I bought it. Been too busy with other things. That being said, I really want to start playing SD1 before SD2 comes out. Can anyone recommend a good "how to" let's play video sort of tutorial for SD1?

What little I do remember is that I have to play this game on slow mo....it was way too fast for me otherwise  :uglystupid2:

Thanks

Quill18:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-uOWt1Yg_lePtMi_HVuPE0f
https://www.wargamer.com/articles/steel-division-normandy-44-beginners-guide/
https://www.strategygamer.com/codex-hub/codex-steel-division/

acctingman

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 31, 2019, 11:57:52 AM
Quote from: acctingman on January 31, 2019, 09:41:43 AM

Thanks

Thank you Pete!

Quill18:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-uOWt1Yg_lePtMi_HVuPE0f
https://www.wargamer.com/articles/steel-division-normandy-44-beginners-guide/
https://www.strategygamer.com/codex-hub/codex-steel-division/

Skoop

Preordered, looks like it will be available for beta access early March with release in early April.

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Skoop on February 01, 2019, 01:53:42 PM
Preordered, looks like it will be available for beta access early March with release in early April.

This is from the official site.........
"When will the BETA happen?
The BETA will start in early 2019, with an estimated start time around 6 to 8 weeks before the game's release. We will communicate the Steel Division 2 Beta dates on our Facebook page & Twitter account, so stay tuned!"

Which would put it in the next week or 2, not sure which version I am getting but it is a instant purchase for me.

Destraex

Well a few rough edges but overall I like it.
They say units are no longer limited to phases. However phases apply to some units they showed. The IS-152 was limited to later phases if you chose anything above recruit you will draw from the previous sentence that you can once again choose veterancy.
So not limiting units to particular phases does mean you must choose whether to take lesser numbers and probably higher costing units in phase A or save those cards for later phases that enable more to be brought on.
I found it interesting to see that the Russians seem to have picked up a panzerschreck unit for their infantry AT. Something the Russians may definitely have had. I know they had some lend lease Bazookas and PIATS, but they were very rare. They also had special AT flamethrower units at some stage.
Notice the entrenchments available in the last tab.
I also noticed they were using the button "add to battlegroup" rather than division which I would have thought would be the accepted terminology for Steel Division 2.
Command units still seem to be in which especially for the Russians should be very relevant.
I really like that you can choose transport types now as well. A novel way of solving the problem AT guns used to have where their transport for re-deploying them disappeared if it had no weapon. Originally to stop the red dragon and earlier titles transport scout rocket soaker\suicide scout charges.
Whilst I like the unit cards better. They still could have been a little more dramatic for my tastes. They were supposed to be better but what I mainly see is that instead of water colour blurry drama they have gone to basic scetches of faces with hard to see black and white photo backgrounds.
Tank cards are bland but ok. I realise they needed easy to identify.
I really hope these are moddable more easily in the first.
Stats shown are the same as the first game. With a tiny bit more detail and less obscurity.
I like the new ammo types and wonder how they will be controlled in game.

HoodedHorseJoe

I'm very much looking forward to SD2, but it's really starting to bug me that they keep calling it a 'Deck Builder'.

Only because I play a lot of actual card games, that involve actual decks and actual deck-building. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a legitimate card mechanic, but there isn't - it's just window dressing and presentation and ultimately a bad summary of what the mechanic represents.

Thank you for listening to my unnecessary mini-rant. AMA.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

sandman2575

I'm just glad they ditched the 'comic book' style unit cards from SD in favor of the much better card types from Wargame.

I also love the addition of defensive stuctures. Anything to make the game less rush-y and more methodical is a big plus, imo.

Moreb

Am I the only one that really disliked SD? When I looked at how much I played it was 5 hours and I bet much of that time was idle. Maybe i'm missing the nuances but, to me, it just seemed like an unrealistic mad rush tower defense with waves of enemies. Much too arcadey for my liking. I never played any of the predecessors so it wasn't clear on how the game played prior to buying it but, now that I have, I think I prefer more of the simulations that other games offer.

But to those that enjoyed the series I understand the anticipation of progress and it's good to see people still like strategy games and that they can be profitable.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Destraex

Moreb I am sure plenty of people do not like steel division here. Because it is less of a pedestrian paced game unless you pause a lot.
However if you want a more stand up defensive battle set points to max and closed combat mode. This starts you close to be enemy like you are fully deployed with all of your phase a troops.
I'd be playing battlefront's combat mission but unlike this game I cannot play with multiple friends coop.
There are also stand alone missions that require you to attack or defend I steel division since you played I am betting.
For the record the game does not seem very tower defence in nature to me unless you are playing ai on medium which can spam units. Steel division is a meeting engagement and played in proper frontlines mode requires both players to attack to win. You have to take the ground to be able to defend it and win.

Moreb

Quote from: Destraex on February 17, 2019, 10:41:23 PM
Moreb I am sure plenty of people do not like steel division here. Because it is less of a pedestrian paced game unless you pause a lot.
However if you want a more stand up defensive battle set points to max and closed combat mode. This starts you close to be enemy like you are fully deployed with all of your phase a troops.
I'd be playing battlefront's combat mission but unlike this game I cannot play with multiple friends coop.
There are also stand alone missions that require you to attack or defend I steel division since you played I am betting.
For the record the game does not seem very tower defence in nature to me unless you are playing ai on medium which can spam units. Steel division is a meeting engagement and played in proper frontlines mode requires both players to attack to win. You have to take the ground to be able to defend it and win.

Well I've reinstalled to see if I was hasty on my impressions. I do need something to play in this period that isn't so heavy so maybe I give it another go.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Pete Dero

Quote from: Destraex on February 17, 2019, 10:41:23 PM

Posted this a couple of years ago and I still use it today for many RTS games (Company of Heroes, Sudden Strike, ...) and it works with Steel Division. (Single player only)

A small cheat hack that sits outside the game and allows you to adjust the speed to your tastes : http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12733.msg332074#msg332074

P.S. Use without the automated installer to avoid any malware.

I know Steel Division has speed settings but these don't have a key binding (only bullet time has one), so you have to click with the mouse on the speed bar each time.
This cheat let's you use 5 user defined speed settings with 5 hotkeys.