Verdun gets Scottish Highlander squads- were they not sections?

Started by Destraex, January 12, 2017, 12:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Verdun just added the Scottish. A Light Infantry squad with rifles and no grenades or MGs. But only very small units (up to 5 or so men I would say) are squads and sections are 10 or so men. British units were mainly sections and probably are today. Unless they are very small elite units. I think the American army though just terms everything a squad these days? In ww1 I don't know enough however without consulting my books.
Looking forward to these guys. But I wish they would add an Aussie squad. Some 295,000 Australians served on the western front. Over 46,000 died there and 134,000 were wounded or captured.
This is not including other theatres like the middle east and turkish theatres that Australians were involved in, where what some call the last great successful cavalry charge was carried out and of course Gallipoli (what a freakin disaster).

However, that aside. Squad variety is amazing thus far. Still no tanks or heavy machine guns though. Artillery is a little too predominant during attacks as well. Who fires on their own men intentionally?

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Father Ted

Quote from: jomni on January 12, 2017, 03:18:20 AM
Just had to look up Kilts during WW1

You should not look up kilts at any time, let alone during a war

Ubercat

Is Verdun an FPS? If so, they shouldn't be introducing squads or sections of anything. The players can implement that themselves depending on how organized they are.

Are there AI bots that follow you around and obey your orders? That would make sense for squads, etc.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

AI Bots for single player is the one thing that is missing from this game. No AI, no play.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

Quote from: Ubercat on January 12, 2017, 10:51:56 AM
Is Verdun an FPS? If so, they shouldn't be introducing squads or sections of anything. The players can implement that themselves depending on how organized they are.

Are there AI bots that follow you around and obey your orders? That would make sense for squads, etc.

Yes it is an FPS.  IIRC the game is played as one 4-man squad versus another.  In this case "squad" is just a generic term for a group of soldiers.  The introduction of a new squad isn't gameplay change, but another set of skins to play in.

However I don't see why having squads or sections implemented in an FPS is inherently a bad thing..?

Ubercat

How would you implement it? You can't force players to work as a unit. They have to do that for themselves.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

This game kills me...literally every time I play I get killed within 5 seconds. If there was a single player my mode or a campaign I wouldn't feel like I totally wasted my time and money.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: Ubercat on January 12, 2017, 01:34:24 PM
How would you implement it? You can't force players to work as a unit. They have to do that for themselves.

I understand what you're saying.  It's just that I know many people view somehow coercing players into doing something other than team death match as being the Holy Grail of "realistic" shooters.  The epitome of that at the moment is "Squad".  It is designed to corral players into working as a unit.  They can choose not to, but their experience of the game will be dull if they don't.

So yes, you can't force players to work as a unit, but I think you can encourage them to do so by game-design.

jomni

Quote from: Ubercat on January 12, 2017, 01:34:24 PM

No you can't force people to stick together.  But squad system limits the soldier class to historic proportions.  Not too much snipers, not too much machine gunners.  Force people to play squad leader.  This is good. 

I say squad mechanics are similar to other FPS.  You can spawn near your squad mates.  Nothing really groundbreaking.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 12, 2017, 11:55:44 AM
AI Bots for single player is the one thing that is missing from this game. No AI, no play.

Jarhead. Their is a bot wave mode. In which you fight off waves of bots entering your trenches. But they are in no way smart. I find it fun though for a bit. You really should have friends to do that with though.
It should also be noted that it's still buggy; some comments I put on their forums:

" Sick of having my screen not show what the enemy is actually doing!!!! Is their some sort of master server in europe slowing things down? I am in the AU server with a ping on 40.
I tried playing in a different region and that is when the problem was literally unplayable. I could loose a whole pisol mag at point blank and not hit anything.
I don't have problems on US servers in other games. But in this one it seems their is even animation and general lag in 40 ping servers!"

"Exactly! I am so glad that others and not just me can see this as well.
I always have a hard time seeing that they released the same game on console leaving the PC version in this state. It's such an awesome game and would be my go to if it actually was playable. As it is I generally log on go and fight some. Realise how bad the netcode is making the experience and almost rage quit.... then play some more trying to ignore the animations and just twitch shoot. But eventually you realise that you cannot shoot something that is not showing properly. Then sometimes you get the unfair advantage of seeing the enemy first when they should see you and it feels better for a bit.
I own BF1 and that runs very nicely and everything is smooth as silk. But the game play is not really reflective of ww1 and just a COD run n gun, squads encircle you in 1 or 2 seconds of running and the maps are so small you can just about shoot anybody with small arms across entire maps. I'd rather play this but it's the opposite. Good gameplay but poorly optimised.
The devs don't even seem to be able to reproduce the problem but I am sure most of us see it. How could we not?"

Gusington

We've attempted to get a Grogs team set up for this, haven't we?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hofstadter

There's no point to team play anyway, there's no voice chat iirc
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Destraex

Bottom Right.
You guys don't have a discord channel or skype?