Warframe just got its biggest ever update, Fortuna, and it's still 100% free!

Started by Huw the Poo, April 26, 2012, 06:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

This is the first of two huge updates revealed during 2018 Tennocon.  Fortuna is Warframe's second open world area and is said to be much bigger than the first (Plains of the Eidolon).  I won't write a wall of text just now, but rest assured that Fortuna brings with it a whole host of new features and will definitely keep we players happy for quite some time!

Here is a demonstration of both Fortuna and Railjack (the second announced expansion, expected 2019) from this year's Tennocon:

Veterans should come back and see what's on offer!  Those of you who haven't played: look, I will wax lyrical about Warframe for ever.  It's the best free to play game I've ever played, and then some.  Everyone bounces off it the first time because it's just so different, and there are so many complex systems.  But it's free - you have nothing to lose but your time.  Give it a proper try - team up with people, ask in chat for someone to show you the ropes, whatever it takes.  Give it some time to show you why it's never out of the Steam top 10 and why everyone who plays it regularly will tell you that it's better than any AAA game.

Tpek

Huw the Poo

Huw the Poo

I'm too tired to write much right now, but I've just finished my third consecutive evening exploring the Fortuna update and I'm happy to report that it's stunning!  There's a ridiculous amount of content in this update, from crafting custom sidearms to building your own robot companions, to hoverboards, to the sheer size of the new map.  It's an embarrassment of riches.  I will write about some highlights tomorrow if I remember.

It's no surprise that the game has just set its all time concurrent players record.  It's also interesting to note that while most games see a surge in numbers after an update followed by a huge drop, Warframe's numbers just keep on rising steadily.  There's a reason for that. ;)

Ninja edit: Warframe is currently Steam's fifth most-played game.

jomni

I launched it. Massive update. Played a bit. Reminded me why I stopped. It's just mindless run and gun. Stages are too easy. whatever you do, you still win. I guess that's why many find it fun (including me). Crafting is too complex and what's the point? I can finish the levels without them. No? Some people make crafting the goal and fighting the levels are just the means to do better crafting. But that's not really how I look at games.

Huw the Poo

No offense mate but you didn't get it, at all.  Sentences like "Stages are too easy. whatever you do, you still win" and "Crafting is too complex and what's the point? I can finish the levels without them" betray the fact that you didn't play much at all.  Those statements are only true in the very very early game.

jomni

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 16, 2018, 05:11:28 PM
No offense mate but you didn't get it, at all.  Sentences like "Stages are too easy. whatever you do, you still win" and "Crafting is too complex and what's the point? I can finish the levels without them" betray the fact that you didn't play much at all.  Those statements are only true in the very very early game.

Yup. Just 20 hours and finished only three worlds. It's still in my Steam favourites so let's see how it goes.

Huw the Poo

Hmmm, yeah if you're still on the third world after 20 hours then you're progressing very slowly.  I've said it numerous times before and I'll say it again - for some reason almost everyone bounces off Warframe the first time they play it.  I was no different.  But suddenly everything just clicks and you realise how much there is to do and how fantastic it all is.

Believe me when I say the starting equipment is absolutely not enough to play through the whole game.  In the beginning it's a lot like Diablo - you can cut through the waves of enemies like a hot knife through butter, but the difficulty curve is very gentle.  Eventually you start dying every now and again, then you die a lot.  It's at that point that you start putting a lot of thought into how you mod your weapons and your general strategy.  I promise you, it isn't all just run and gun!

Yskonyn

I am digging the Warframe vibe again.
We still have the 'Interstellar Grogheads' dojo up, but it hasn't seen much love.
JasonPratt never came around to accepting the invite and Jarhead and Jamus haven't been in game for ages!  :buck2:

Are you in a clan, Huw?

I am still a Warframe newbie. Running in my stock Volt frame. She's cool; electrocuting enemies never gets old!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Its on my list of things to do...sorry for the dust in the GH Dojo. I will return!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 26, 2018, 04:46:00 PM
Are you in a clan, Huw?

I am still a Warframe newbie. Running in my stock Volt frame. She's cool; electrocuting enemies never gets old!

I'm in a little clan made for me and my regular gaming group (all of whom I effortlessly turned into Warframe addicts!).  In case you didn't know, a lot of items in the game are only available through clan research, so it's worth keeping your clan up even if it's just you in it (a clan that doesn't rank up due to population increase has pretty minimal research requirements).

Volt is a great frame.  I actually don't have her yet but I believe she's part of the "femmes fatale" pack that's on my wishlist.  It's only a matter of time. :D
(Edit: I'm an idiot and it's late.  Volt is a male warframe and obviously not in the femmes fatale pack)

I'm still staggered by the enormity of the Fortuna expansion.  No wonder the devs were so keen to show it off at Tennocon this year.  The K Drive (hoverboard) you get there can also be used on the Plains of Eidolon by the way.  O0

Speaking of which...I'm finally at a point where I can start fighting the sentients.  In fact, I might dive in and do that right now. :D

CptHowdy

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 26, 2018, 04:46:00 PM
I am digging the Warframe vibe again.
We still have the 'Interstellar Grogheads' dojo up, but it hasn't seen much love.
JasonPratt never came around to accepting the invite and Jarhead and Jamus haven't been in game for ages!  :buck2:

Are you in a clan, Huw?

i joined the GH clan and no one was ever online so ended up joining another clan that was trying to rebuild. They had tons of stuff unlocked. I havent played much in the past year. Got burned out ranking up!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: CptHowdy on November 26, 2018, 06:39:56 PM
Got burned out ranking up!

There's really no need to worry about your MR.  Just mix it up, set yourself some short, medium and long term goals, and have at it.  There's an enormous amount of stuff to do.

If you haven't played in a while, why not dive into Fortuna? :)

Yskonyn

I killed the Grogheads Clan today. Aside from myself all other members haven't been online in more than a year. :)
So if you guys ever restart the game to take a peek, you'll know why you're not in a Clan anymore.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 29, 2018, 10:33:32 AM
I killed the Grogheads Clan today. Aside from myself all other members haven't been online in more than a year. :)
So if you guys ever restart the game to take a peek, you'll know why you're not in a Clan anymore.

Was it holding you back in any way?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18