getting back into building model tanks

Started by jejo68, May 14, 2017, 12:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jejo68

Right so after a short break of 20 years or so im finally ready to get back into building tanks, pref ww2 scale 1/35.

I guess Tamiya is still a good option but what else is on the market if you want some quality models ?

JudgeDredd

I think it's wise to do your homework. Many models are older moulds sometimes rebadged.

I was pointed to this site once for checking on models
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/

Generally speaking though, I think Dragon, Takom, Trumpeter, Academy and Tamiya are good bets. There may be others and I feel terrible for simply mentioning the mainstream makers - but wherever I look, they are generally names that crop up.

Dragon and Takom I believe have high part counts. Sometimes that's a good thing. Other times, it can make the model more tedious to make...so it depends on how in depth you want to get.

I've only literally taken up the hobby a couple or 3 years ago myself but I haven't focussed on armour. Of armour, I've made a Trumpeter Challenger II and a Tamiya Leopard 1A4. Both were excellent models but I definitely found the Tamiya one easier. I don't know how old the moulds were - but they were both well detailed.
Alba gu' brath

Phantom

I think it's wise to do your homework. Many models are older moulds sometimes rebadged.

I was pointed to this site once for checking on models
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/

That's a really good site - was looking for an age of sail frigate model, this just made it a whole lot easier!

many thanks
Regards
Phantom

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

and this website, www.missing-lynx.com is probably the best for armor modeling.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

jejo68

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jejo68 on May 19, 2017, 07:44:07 PM
ty for the replies guys  :bd:
jejo - there's also this site...

https://intscalemodeller.com/

...people there are very helpful and lots of informative posts
Alba gu' brath

jejo68

btw I found this youtube channel called Andy's hobby headquarter. its quite good

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

I forgot to mention Andy's Hobby Headquarters. He does some great, helpful videos

Good looking kit. You're jumping in at the deep end the  ;D
Alba gu' brath

jejo68

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 30, 2017, 01:07:26 PM
I forgot to mention Andy's Hobby Headquarters. He does some great, helpful videos

Good looking kit. You're jumping in at the deep end the  ;D

Why do things halfway ?  :)