An Idiots Guide To Losing Your CV's Before 1942: WiTP:AE KyzBP vs UCG

Started by KyzBP, June 22, 2015, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

God damn it....You bastards are going to make me spend $104.99 CDN on a 6 year old game based on a 12 year old engine, aren't you? 

jomni

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 29, 2015, 08:22:30 PM
God damn it....You bastards are going to make me spend $104.99 CDN on a 6 year old game based on a 12 year old engine, aren't you?

And you will never play it to the fullest.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I know.  I had (can't find the damned disc anywhere) the original WiTP but I never could get the hang of loading transports or properly managing airbase requirements.

KyzBP

I bought the game back in 2011 and for the last 4 years I'd fire it up, look around the map, feel overwhelmed and, exit out.  I finally decided that this was going to be the year I learned the game.  The AI is much better, at least for the first month.  I've never ventured farther.  There's also a mod called the Iron Mod (or something close) that really seemed to kick the AI up.  But lets face it, just like Combat Mission, this game was meant to have a human opponent.

You could always wait until the Christmas Sale.  You've waited this long.  ;)

Btw, thanks to both of you for following along!

KyzBP

Since there were only 4-5 ships sunk total last turn I thought I'd show you instead why it's so important that I save the Lexington.

This is my carrier replacement schedule.  The last CV I get in 1942 is the Wasp in early June.  Then I have to wait almost a full year (close to 350 game turns  :o) until I get another US CV.  That's why I'm in full on panic mode about getting her out safely.  That's also why I'm willing to sacrifice 12 DDs to do it if I have to.

See ya next turn and thanks for following.

jomni

I had a great grand campaign PBEM once and it ended early. http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=428.msg9998#msg9998

I had several great PBEM games with the Guadalcanal scenario.  All very satisfying but it really takes some long term commitment.

Sir Slash

Dammit! Who sent all those carriers to Balboa? What was there a Alien Invasion going on there? Or was it to avoid paying US tax rates? I played the Guadalcanal scenario too and loved it but would need to rent a couple of extra brains to be any good at it. It only takes one brain to follow this thread.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

KyzBP

Quote from: jomni on June 30, 2015, 03:23:52 AM
I had several great PBEM games with the Guadalcanal scenario.  All very satisfying but it really takes some long term commitment.
With this kind of commitment I'll probably have to put UCG on my health insurance plan.

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 30, 2015, 09:44:09 AM
Dammit! Who sent all those carriers to Balboa? What was there a Alien Invasion going on there? Or was it to avoid paying US tax rates? I played the Guadalcanal scenario too and loved it but would need to rent a couple of extra brains to be any good at it. It only takes one brain to follow this thread.
But only half a brain to write it!  :uglystupid2:
All those ships enter through the Panama Canal so they all start there.  :-\

Quote from: bob48 on June 30, 2015, 02:09:03 PM
Bloody hell - what a gripping AAR. Very tense.
I'm glad you're enjoying it Bob! 

Thank you all very much for following this.  Feel free to add input at any time.

KyzBP

December 12th, 1941

Some great T.V. character from a great T.V. series once (or many times) said "Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together."

The brave, angry, and anxious pilots aboard the Lexington finally got the order they'd waited nearly a week to hear.
"Gentlemen, the location has been confirmed by a PBY out of Johnston.  Follow these updated numbers.  You'll find 'em there
and gentlemen...give 'em hell." 
The pilots didn't have to be told twice.

RADM Sherman, the Lex's commander, was the first person to climb onto the wing of LCMD Hamilton's Dauntless.
"Let's hear it Ham." The admiral seemed frozen.  He neither breathed nor blinked.  It was as if only Hamilton's words could snap
the spell the admiral was under. 
"They just wouldn't go down sir." Admiral Sherman's face seemed to be melting right before Hamilton's eyes.
"We dropped what we could on them. They're burning, but we didn't see any of them go under, sir."
"You're sure?" The admiral already knew the answer but felt obligated to ask.
"Positive, sir. Sorry."  Hamilton didn't like disappointing anyone, especially the man who personally appointed him as the raid's commander.
"Alright, get your men showered, fed, and some rack time.  We hit them again tomorrow.  Tomorrow they ALL go down.  Is that clear, Ham?"
Hamilton paused just long enough to let his grin slowly crawl across his face.  "Crystal, sir. Crystal."

The resupply task force was hit a couple of times but I couldn't get confirmation of any kills.  There will definitely be a tomorrow.

We will almost certainly sink everything in the eastern group.  Between the carrier planes and the DBs that were moved to Johnston that group
should be eliminated.  And just in case, I detached a CA from a small transport group that was on it's way back to Pearl and just happened to be
in the area.  I'm not sure if the western group will get targeted.  It may end up out of range given the Lexington's path.

But what about UCG's carriers?

You mean those carriers?  They look so lonely with no other ships on the screen to play with. 8)
Actually the Lexington is one more hex directly south.  I just can't get them on the map at the same time.  That's a good thing, right?
I have a feeling the Lexington is in the clear.  Why?  Stay tuned.

KyzBP

If you remember, the Lexington got into this game of cat and mouse because she hung around out west an extra turn swapping her
torpedo bombers with the fighters on Wake.  Well that move may end up paying off:

I'm hoping to get one more shot at the invasion force before it lands.  I think UCG will have to use at least some of his carriers to
cover his landing now that there's Devastators present and not fighters.  I think this will make him give up chasing the Lexington around,
if that was even his intention in the first place.

Oh, and the ship currently parked at Wake: the Penguin.  She just stopped to pick up mail and is headed to Johnston Island.  If she can
get there then she's probably in the clear.

Here's how Hawaii looks now:

I'm betting UCG has OCD.  The subs seem so neat and orderly. ;)  They seem to be drifting away from Pearl.  I have no idea whether that's
by design or my ASW efforts are having some effect.  I keep getting messages that various aircraft are spotting, bombing, and hitting subs
but they never come up on the sunken ships list.  I kind of feel like they're just telling me what I want to hear.

jomni

Yes. They're all lies!  Even the sunken ships list is a lie!

Martok

This really is fascinating to read.  Seeing tactics/strategies the two of you employ against each other -- including the ways in which you spoil the other's guesses -- is terribly interesting! 

Quote from: jomni on July 01, 2015, 03:54:31 AM
Yes. They're all lies!  Even the sunken ships list is a lie!
Heh.  War in the Pacific: Zombie Ships Edition

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

Nice moves Admiral KyzBP. This will give Nippon something to think about while eating their noodles. I can't remember how far east the game map covers. I know the west coast is on it but what about Panama Canal and Central America/ SE Pacific?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

KyzBP

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 01, 2015, 09:15:31 AM
Nice moves Admiral KyzBP. This will give Nippon something to think about while eating their noodles. I can't remember how far east the game map covers. I know the west coast is on it but what about Panama Canal and Central America/ SE Pacific?

Thanks Sir Slash!  To answer your question, the game kind of abstracts the Midwest and the East Coast.  The Panama Canal is represented as an off map base.  so far it seems that most of the American ships show up in Balboa and then have to cruise through the Canal.  Central America is not shown.