Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis

Another oddbally type question was if someone originally purchased a Windows version but now has a Mac. It won't matter. Keys have not been platform specific since CMFB was released and the download (as with the 4.0 Upgrade) links allow someone to download either platform's version of the game. Heck, for that matter...if you own both a Mac and Windows computer you can have the game installed on both because you'll have access to both downloads and the key will work for both.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Elvis on August 10, 2018, 12:24:04 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on August 10, 2018, 12:04:15 PM
@Elvis -- You're a gentleman and a scholar.

What hope for those, if I may ask, who did not order from BFC but purchased the hard-case version at retail?
Good question. The Paradox purchases are something that I specifically asked about. People who got the Battlefront  "Retail Upgrade" had their keys converted to Battlefront keys with that.

I have the Paradox version but bought on Gamersgate (patched to v 1.10 and 1.20) and this one doesn't appear in my account (I have an activation code/key).
The 3 expansions are bought from the Battlefront store and are in my orders.

Will this be a problem to get the full upgrade package ?

Elvis

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 10, 2018, 12:40:36 PM

What hope for those, if I may ask, who did not order from BFC but purchased the hard-case version at retail?
Good question. The Paradox purchases are something that I specifically asked about. People who got the Battlefront  "Retail Upgrade" had their keys converted to Battlefront keys with that.

I have the Paradox version but bought on Gamersgate (patched to v 1.10 and 1.20) and this one doesn't appear in my account (I have an activation code/key).

Without having double checked your key it sure sound like you would.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Elvis on August 10, 2018, 02:07:30 PM

Elvis, do we know how the upgrade process will work and what exact info we would need to provide?  meaning, when we go to order, will will need to provide serial number and order number of original game at that time?  Will it be just like ordering off the web site or will we have to go through some other process to get the upgrade pricing?

Elvis

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 10, 2018, 07:12:48 PM
Quote from: Elvis on August 10, 2018, 02:07:30 PM

Elvis, do we know how the upgrade process will work and what exact info we would need to provide?  meaning, when we go to order, will will need to provide serial number and order number of original game at that time?  Will it be just like ordering off the web site or will we have to go through some other process to get the upgrade pricing?

My understanding is that all of the old CMSF keys are being incorporated into the newer (since CMBN) system  and will be matched up to any purchases of the Upgrade version of CMSF2.  The mechanics of that are above my paygrade other than it can be handled manually as well as being automated.  I  personally haven't seen how it functions but my understanding is that when you order the Upgrade you'll enter your existing CMSF key(s) during the purchase and it will match it up in the database...or something similar to that.

As the tech support guy I definitely assume that there will be issues for some people (it's the default position in tech support) but hope and assume it will be the minority and not the majority that will need to contact me. RyanE will be one of them....ya I'm looking at you .😀 Just kidding....I hope it goes smoothly for him as well if he decides to get the Upgrade.

Elvis

I did get more information on how the mechanics of how the CMSF Upgrade will work regarding the old game verification.  It's even more simple than I had guessed.  I actually feel thick headed in not assuming it would work this way. The system will work exactly like the current system works for all 4.0 Upgrades. Anyone can buy the Upgrade...whether you have the original or not. But you will need to old keys to "unlock" the content.  So, once you've installed the Upgrade you use the Activate New Products utility to activate the base game and any modules with your old keys.

Cyrano

Cool.

Two installs per key still?
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Pete Dero

Quote from: Elvis on August 11, 2018, 11:39:03 AM
I did get more information on how the mechanics of how the CMSF Upgrade will work regarding the old game verification.  It's even more simple than I had guessed.  I actually feel thick headed in not assuming it would work this way. The system will work exactly like the current system works for all 4.0 Upgrades. Anyone can buy the Upgrade...whether you have the original or not. But you will need to old keys to "unlock" the content.  So, once you've installed the Upgrade you use the Activate New Products utility to activate the base game and any modules with your old keys.

Small issue (maybe ?) : The Gamersgate key I have (xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx) doesn't resemble the keys Battlefront uses. 

Elvis

The number of activations per key is the same as always.

Gamersgate keys will be the same as I mentioned earlier about the Paradox keys.

RyanE

So if have used up the activations, we'll have to have then reset?  btw, I thought it was 5 activations on new products with the new activation systems?  IIRC, CMSF had a license/de-license ability.  Will I have to de-license CMSF on my machine?

Pete Dero

Quote from: RyanE on August 11, 2018, 03:14:20 PM
So if have used up the activations, we'll have to have then reset?  btw, I thought it was 5 activations on new products with the new activation systems?  IIRC, CMSF had a license/de-license ability.  Will I have to de-license CMSF on my machine?

I think I read somewhere you can have the 2 versions next to each other.  (Missions, campaigns and mods you downloaded or made for v1 most likely will not work on v2)

Snapper

Good question. The Paradox purchases are something that I specifically asked about. People who got the Battlefront  "Retail Upgrade" had their keys converted to Battlefront keys with that. So, they will qualify.  People who never did that won't. There just isn't a way to use Paradox keys in the system (or frankly even know if they are actual keys to anything). So, they won't be eligible.  If memory serves me correctly there was a point that regular patches wouldn't work with the Paradox. And also, if memory serves, I don't think you could run a module on the Paradox version.  So, my guess would be that there are very few CMSF players who own just the base game without the Retail Upgrade that are still paying attention to CMSF. But that is pure speculation.

Thats a little harsh being as one can play the main game with a module on top of a Paradox version and only use the Battlefront module license as activation.

It's pretty obvious if someone has modules in their Battlefront account but no retail patch that they have the main game as why buy the addons in the first place?

Elvis

Quote from: RyanE on August 11, 2018, 03:14:20 PM

I hope this talk about the backend system isn't too inside baseball and makes sense.

Keys in the newer system are assigned "assets". Which are a designation for what it will activate.  The old CMSF keys that are migrated into the new system become keys in the new system and are assigned assets based on what they were under the older system. They are effectively new keys in the new system.  So they will come with 4 activations each. With additional activations every year available (although,  in practical terms it happens so rarely that anyone needs more than that we have never refused to add activations based on date...so it really is as many as someone needs.....I suppose if someone asked for a new one every week it may raise a red flag that someone is giving them all away or selling them for $5 each on eBay or somefink....but that hasn't happened in the 7 or 8 years I've been doing this).

Elvis

Quote from: Snapper on August 11, 2018, 03:22:04 PM

Good question. The Paradox purchases are something that I specifically asked about. People who got the Battlefront  "Retail Upgrade" had their keys converted to Battlefront keys with that. So, they will qualify.  People who never did that won't. There just isn't a way to use Paradox keys in the system (or frankly even know if they are actual keys to anything). So, they won't be eligible.  If memory serves me correctly there was a point that regular patches wouldn't work with the Paradox. And also, if memory serves, I don't think you could run a module on the Paradox version.  So, my guess would be that there are very few CMSF players who own just the base game without the Retail Upgrade that are still paying attention to CMSF. But that is pure speculation.

Thats a little harsh being as one can play the main game with a module on top of a Paradox version and only use the Battlefront module license as activation.

It's pretty obvious if someone has modules in their Battlefront account but no retail patch that they have the main game as why buy the addons in the first place?

Again, I'm doing this from memory from a pretty long time ago and the affects on me of the late 70's/early 80's have lessened my memory,  I remember it as needing a Battlefront version to to run the modules. I could be wrong about that.

And regarding people with just the base Paradox etc...versions have keys that we have no way of tracking.  I could type out 17 random numbers and letters and say it's my Paradox key and I'd have exactly the same knowledge of that as if you sent a real key.

Snapper

So if i have the Paradox version minus the retail patch but have all the modules, i have to buy the main game again?

Why not base the discount on modules, as surely it must be assumed that if you have the any of the modules you have the main game (which takes out the uncertainty of not knowing the Paradox keys).

A trust thing if you like. .

This way everyone gets treated fairly.