Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Awesome news!  Can't wait for the new patch  :bd:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

-budd-

So the flagged transport would be everyone's HQ in the platoon, mounted or not?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Veitikka

Quote from: -budd- on August 15, 2019, 07:53:06 PM
So the flagged transport would be everyone's HQ in the platoon, mounted or not?

The platoons and companies don't really have units that function has HQs. What matters is if a unit has a radio, so it's better at communicating with others. It doesn't matter if the unit is attached to the formation or not, or if it has the flag. The flag is used for maneuvering purposes, and the unit possessing the flag is usually in the center of formation, or leading it.

The HQ formations of the game are usually company level HQs.

-budd-

New beta available with increased units allowed per cell, 3 units per cell.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684239

Jarhead0331

New DLC incoming...

Two new factions: France and Belgium

New map: Ardennes, centered around Bastogne

Added more than 200 new units

The new playable factions introduced by this expansions have different army compositions and organizational structures, adding more tactical options and giving more complexity on the operational level:

FRANCE

Military Background

Just as the bloodletting of World War I has left the French military a firm believer in the prevalence of firepower over manoeuvre, so did France's defeat by Germany in 1940, which led the French military to a similar swing in the direction of mobile warfare.

Beginning in the 1950s, French started to experiment with organizational structures aimed at facilitating rapid battlefield manoeuvre, including the Javelot brigade and the 7e Division Mécanique Rapide, eventually being standardised as the Division Type 1967. However, shortages of modern equipment, caused in part by the economic crisis of the early 1970s and the expense of the French nuclear deterrent, meant that the mechanized divisions that were to follow the new divisional blueprint were being constituted only very slowly.

Although France was not officially part of NATO's command structure since 1966, there was an understanding, formalized by regular joint exercises in West Germany, that France would go to the aid of NATO, in case of any attack from the Warsaw Pact.

Army features

A striking feature of the French formations of 1970s is the extent to which they were tank-heavy, due to their intended mode of operations. Their tactics were closer to US Armored Cavalry Regiments (or, indeed, their own pre-WW2 Division Légère Mécanique) in that they were not intended for holding ground. Like the DLM of 1940, the mechanized regiments were to operate like the earlier dragons portes, locating and delaying the enemy and preparing the situation for a counter strike by the tank regiments.

However, during the 1980s the heavy manoeuvre forces saw an increase in the proportion of infantry, through the attachment of motorized infantry divisions to the corps headquarters, addition of VAB-equipped infantry regiments to infantry divisions. It also experienced an increase in the number of infantry companies in mechanized regiments. France has opted to mechanize nearly all of its units, using relatively light, wheeled armored vehicles that can be air-transported as well as driven long distances over poor-quality roads and cross-country (e.g. in sub-Saharan Africa). While lacking the level of protection of main battle tanks, wheeled armor units of the French Army do provide considerable firepower, often equipped with 90mm or even 105mm guns.

BELGIUM

Military Background

As host to NATO since 1967, Belgium has always placed great importance on functioning as a reliable and credible ally. Despite the small size of its population and demanding colonial commitments, Belgium managed to make a significant contribution to NATO collective defence, deploying half of its Army to the FRG as part of the Belgian I Corps. The remainder of the army comprised the Forces of Interior responsible for the defense of the home territory, made up of regular army units which would be augmented in wartime by the local gendarmerie and reserve forces.

Army features

The Forces Interior were supplemented by a regiment of elite para-commandos with two airborne infantry and one commando battalion. However, much of its equipment remained obsolescent; its main battle tank, the Leopard 1(BE) was of 1960s vintage and its M75 and AMX-13 Mod 56 APCs, as well as its Alouette II helicopters were almost museum-pieces from the 1950s.

Besides that, the Army went through a modest re-equipment programme through the 1980s; upgrading its APCs and artillery, increasing the numbers of ATGMs and replacing most of the Air Force's fast jets with modern aircraft. Nevertheless, the Belgian Army of the Cold War remains a very interesting and challenging faction.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089840/Armored_Brigade/?utm_source=Press+List+Feb+2018&utm_campaign=e587a5b17b-WoSRelease_MG_01_2018_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c677a188a0-e587a5b17b-93455941
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Hell yeah!

Now what on earth has been holding up the Steam release so long anyways...?

EDIT -- I just noticed they're adding an Ardennes map.  WW2 MODS WHEN!?!?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Moreb

Both Armored Brigade and its new dlc are 30% off right now for those on the fence. $27.99 and $10.49.

Good savings
When dongles fly? - mirth

Destraex

Have wanted this game for some time.
Finally got it with the sale and must say its engrossing.

I am a noob and so have to ask:
Are some sounds reused? I had a harrier fir its guns and sound like a thunderolt vrrrp.
Is their a way to show contour lines specifically on the main screen?
Is there a way to show house stories?
Are their ammo types for tank guns?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

-budd-

Quote from: Destraex on November 05, 2019, 06:53:26 PM

Are some sounds reused? I had a harrier fir its guns and sound like a thunderolt vrrrp.

Never noticed on the sound thing
bottom right small button on the mini map, its not that good
No, hover over to get a height info, usually terrain + number for the building height.
Yes, but you don't get to pick the load. Hit enter for unit info

Destraex

Gotta ask as well. Just looking at my arty and cannot seem to find the counterbattery command. PErhaps I need some sort of setup or FOB for this?

Emir Agic

Quote from: Destraex on November 06, 2019, 12:45:23 AM
Gotta ask as well. Just looking at my arty and cannot seem to find the counterbattery command. PErhaps I need some sort of setup or FOB for this?

AFIAK, there is no counter battery command. If you locate enemy artillery you have to target it manually by issuing bombardment command on designated area.

Destraex

Wierd considering it would have been a major mission in the cold war.

Destraex

Quote from: -budd- on November 05, 2019, 07:04:23 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 05, 2019, 06:53:26 PM

Never noticed on the sound thing
bottom right small button on the mini map, its not that good
No, hover over to get a height info, usually terrain + number for the building height.
Yes, but you don't get to pick the load. Hit enter for unit info

I can see the contours but like you said. Holy heck they are hard to make out on the normal map mode. A little better on google map mode.

Huw the Poo

Yeah I never bother with the contours, they're useless.

Destraex

How do you draw a picture in your mind of the terrain then?
I mean heck the terrain in this game must be over simplified in order to fit the crude tools. How complex would it be if it had the new close combat 3D's terrain?

Here are some very hilly regions in Armoured Brigade, The tiles do not even attempt texture changes or shadow etc:

Close Combat 3D, the terrain is about all I like about the game.