Steel Division 2 Brings Single Player Strategic map campaign similar to totalwar

Started by Destraex, August 25, 2018, 04:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: WargamerJoe on June 25, 2019, 11:21:40 AM
Those Wargamer.com guys sound well rubbish, amirite?

...and since he is always hanging out in our forums, he is a Grog too!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Who needs a front page when you have forums this girthie and muscular?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on June 25, 2019, 10:30:17 AM
wargamer.com review.
How is wargamer.com regarded these days by the by?

https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/steel-division-2/

I thought that review was dang good, and would have sold me on the game if I hadn't bought it already. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

The reviews are pretty bang on. 

The more I play this game the more impressed I am with it.

I really feel like we've got the next Close Combat on our hands.   I really hope they keep developing this game and expand it into more theaters and scenarios.

fran

Hi, how buggy is it at the moment?

Did you buy the base game only, or one of the bundles. If so which one? From the recall the bundles allow you access to the planned DLC?

Thanks

Destraex

Been playing naval action as it is now released. So cannot tell you about the campaign being buggy. I played one battle and had no crashes. It's very time consuming setting up defences as the Germans. But I won on medium in the first battle. Without the tank destroyer unit that came in in phase B though. I would have been cooked.

As for the bundle. I have the top one I think. Plus the back to war pack if you own the first one which gives you western divisions for skirmish, as well as the newsletter sign up ace.

Personally I do not think you need to worry much about some of the content. Because it's just skins and music. Also the aces are really just flavour, their stats are not any better than the base units in the game. But they are elite base units. Generally going by SD44, they just replace existing elite cards. I like them though as I associate them well with stats and find them easy to track on the field.

Note that the special content as far as I know (and I may be wrong) just affects skirmish mode. Not campaign mode.

So looking at the below. The commander pack seems unnecessary. It just has visual goodies and bibs and bobs that are outside of the game itself.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

i prefer it to SD 44, bbut for some reason do not play it as much. I've had a lot of distractions lately...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

glen55

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 10, 2019, 01:11:40 PM
so where's everyone at with this game?

I have enjoyed it quite a bit. It's great that the battles now have persistent results that translate into the campaign layer that you go back to every battle. I am personally having a little trouble getting the campaign layer to deliver the battles I want, but I tend to think that might be more on me than on the game system. The battles are quite similar to SD Normandy, and that's a good thing: they're very playable while still being fairly detailed and realistic.

The campaign layer is actually a separate game, and some people play it and just auto-resolve all the battles. It's actually pretty intriguing once you get a basic grasp on it (which can be a little tricky, given its fairly unique nature and the lack of a tutorial).

HOWEVER--I'm wondering how much replayability it has. Yes, there are a lot of different battle maps, and a bunch of different divisions with different types of battalions, so there is plenty of variation in terms of using different units and fighting on different terrain. There are also attack, defend and meeting engagements, but all that means is how much of the map you hold at the beginning and whether you get to place things like bunkers and trenches.

But every single battle is on the same-sized map, and they all start with you having 20 points worth of units (infantry squad = 1 point; tank/artillery piece = 3 points) and adding 3 or 5 points per minute coming on at one of your entry points on the edge of the map until the battle is over. I've done maybe 10 battles and they're starting to feel a little generic already. That hasn't killed the fun yet, but it's starting to blunt it.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

JasonPratt

I'm so distracted with all the new shiny things that I haven't gotten to this yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Rayfer

Quote from: Barthheart on July 16, 2019, 06:48:56 PM
Haven't even bought it yet...  :hide:

And in today's gaming world I'll wait until the Winter holiday sales and get it with a hefty discount.