Steel Division 2 Brings Single Player Strategic map campaign similar to totalwar

Started by Destraex, August 25, 2018, 04:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

There will be 25 tactical maps in total for the grand campaign iirc.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

trek

They released SD2 early (originally not supposed to be until 3pm today) I'm playing a solo skirmish right now!

Pete Dero

Quote from: trek on May 29, 2019, 09:22:47 AM
They released SD2 early (originally not supposed to be until 3pm today) I'm playing a solo skirmish right now!

3 PM CEST (and it is almost 5PM CEST over here).

GeneralHawk

Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Jarhead0331

I'm disappointed with the choice of German divisions. They all seem to be rear guard, rear echelon and/or reserve level troops, save for one or two experienced divisions, but even those seem to have glaring weaknesses...this may be historically accurate, but its part of the reason why I think Bagration was a bad choice for the focus of the game. The Germans were woefully outnumbered, out-gunned and under strength.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 29, 2019, 09:20:17 PM
I'm disappointed with the choice of German divisions. They all seem to be rear guard, rear echelon and/or reserve level troops, save for one or two experienced divisions, but even those seem to have glaring weaknesses...this may be historically accurate, but its part of the reason why I think Bagration was a bad choice for the focus of the game. The Germans were woefully outnumbered, out-gunned and under strength.

Maybe this could help with the limited options (in full release version) :

Back to War pack

Play with the most powerful Units & Divisions from Normandy in Steel Division 2! Completely free for Steel Division: Normandy 44 owners, this Pack features:

4 additional Nations: USA, Canada, United Kingdom & France
    8 Divisions, 4 from each side, playable in solo, coop and multiplayer real-time skirmish
    350+ units from the first game
    Exclusive never-seen-before units

trek

Agreed on the setting of Bagration for SD2 as a negative. I guess I'll be playing a lot of skirmish with the divisions inherited from SDN44 in this one like I still do with SDN44. I DO smell future paid DLC coming with let's speculate: Kharkov, Kursk etc. I think the devs will mine this one for all it's got. I can also see more content for the first one like Battle of the Bulge, etc. although it probably will be a new standalone game. Sales for this one will probably surpass the first game and I see a long life for this series. No other publisher in my opinion has anything quite like this series to compete with it as far as features and gameplay. I love Combat Mission and Graviteam games as well, but Eugen seems to be on the cutting edge of this type of game.

mbar

SD2 is published by Eugen Systems again instead of Paradox. In the past Wargame titles Eugen has supported their games with free and paid DLC.

Destraex

In guess this is why both sides have not only A. But B and C class divisions. I just dont know what exactly why b and c class divisions would be used in a competitive skirmish gsme unless a specific strategy is planned.

Destraex

acctingman

An observation from a guy new to this series (just started on the original a month ago) is that this new game looks better  :smitten: and I really need to learn how to scroll in and out with the camera angles/views because it adds so much to the visuals of the game.

Looking forward to the reviews here

Destraex

Here comes a few of the Western Front sides to Steel Division 2 for D-Day's anniversary. Good stuff Eugen. You listened to the people. I hope they add more than just the four divisions we get for the western front and keep moving divisions over from the original game. The western front maps would also be nice.  Then their would be no reason to go back to steel division 1 at all.

IICptMillerII

I finally got around to picking up the beta this past weekend, though I haven't had a lot of time to play it. A buddy and me have played some skirmishes against the AI, but I haven't tried multiplayer yet. Though with that said I am enjoying what I'm seeing so far.

I'm a huge fan of Wargame: European Escalation and Wargame: Airland Battle. I got them both in beta and I think W:ALB is the game I have the most amount of hours in on Steam. I wasn't a fan of Wargame: Red Dragon for a number of reasons, but I liked the direction they were going in with Steel Division Normandy (even if I would have preferred them staying in the Cold War era).

I think what I'll end up having the most fun with in SD2 is the strategic campaign, which from what I've heard will be coop.

Right now my only real issue with the gameplay is how hard it is to manage things when you're zoomed out. I don't like how the unit scale is individual as opposed to platoon in the Wargame titles, and for me it is very hard to see what units are shooting at what when zoomed out. Most of this is just me having to unlearn Wargame and relearn the similar but new system in SD, though I do wish that tracers were easier to see from a distance.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 29, 2019, 09:20:17 PM

Completely agree. This is one of the main reasons I was hesitant to get SD2. The Germans are at such a massive disadvantage across the board. From the little I've played, it doesn't feel too dire playing as the Germans, though I still think that Bagration was probably not the right period to go with. On the other hand, Eugen likely felt that they had to do late war Eastern Front as that is likely the most marketable. People want their late war heavy tanks and other "uber" toys to play with. If they went with a game based around Kursk, the Germans would only have access to a small handful of Tigers and Panthers. Plus, the German units were already made for SD Normandy, so doing the same time period on the Eastern Front likely cut their work load in half. All that said, I still would have preferred a SD Kursk instead, but I understand why they thought that might not have been feasible.

AchillesLastStand

Played a bit in the beta a bit and the Back to War pack plus 4 new maps is getting patched in tomorrow.
One thing that is baffling me is why Eugen decided to give tanks{all} a universal range of 2000m. Been playing mostly against AI and the Soviet side does seem a bit OP atm. Just tonight I had a Valentine and a T-70 take out a Panther/Tiger which is a load of #*&%.  Back to the range subject there are variances in the stats such as penetration/damage/suppress/blast/accuracy to make up for the universal range of 2000, still is confusing as to why they did this. Not sure out of laziness or some other reason/s. In real life no way would a T70 or T34 stand a chance against a Tiger/Panther/Nashorn.

FlickJax

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on June 06, 2019, 02:59:20 AM
Played a bit in the beta a bit and the Back to War pack plus 4 new maps is getting patched in tomorrow.
One thing that is baffling me is why Eugen decided to give tanks{all} a universal range of 2000m. Been playing mostly against AI and the Soviet side does seem a bit OP atm. Just tonight I had a Valentine and a T-70 take out a Panther/Tiger which is a load of #*&%.  Back to the range subject there are variances in the stats such as penetration/damage/suppress/blast/accuracy to make up for the universal range of 2000, still is confusing as to why they did this. Not sure out of laziness or some other reason/s. In real life no way would a T70 or T34 stand a chance against a Tiger/Panther/Nashorn.

Don't like the sound of this :(