Gloomwood: 'Thief' With Guns

Started by Gusington, June 29, 2020, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Thief: The Dark Project and its sequels and remakes are some of my favorite games of all time. If they are your favorites too, you may be interested in Gloomwood...billed by its developers as 'Thief With Guns':

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150760/Gloomwood/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I don't know what the sound of moistening loins is, but, I think you just made it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

I'm just here to assist with the moistening

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

Really digging the demo so far.  Can't wait to see how the full game plays!

To expand my thoughts a bit, I really like the mix of stealth and guns.  I generally dislike stealth-oriented games, but this reminds me of Deus Ex in that you can basically guerrilla out and blast dudes with your guns while ducking and hiding away, or you can be a sneaky shanky assassin (or pacifist avoider of conflict).  The patient assassin method is definitely the most efficient, but if you say fukkit and want to run in with your dick out, it seems like you can absolutely brute force your way through the demo and survive if you're smart and conserve ammo, even on the highest default difficulty.  Looking forward to this one!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

The art style is a little sparse, hopefully it will get a little more fleshed out. From an early, quick look it reminds me visually of that game from a few years ago 'Sir, You Are Being Hunted.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Yeah, aesthetically it's a bit like a darker and more horror-infused 'Sir,' but the level design is infinitely better being hand-crafted rather than procedural generated.  I'm happy with the minimalist retro graphics style, I hope they don't change it.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Looks to be a good game for me to play in the fall or winter, you know for mood and such. Not sure how 'soon' is for release.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ComradeP

Unless the demo is from an alpha version and numerous changes will be made, I'm not too excited.

As the guy in the preview video -budd- posted mentions, lighting seems to be pretty primitive and not very interactive.

The stabbing range resembles that of a Macedonian spear.

To be honest, it looks like a game that wanted to ride the wave of the popularity of the first three Thief games and exploration/survival horror back around the turn of the century but somehow ended up in storage until now.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45