Total War: THREE KINGDOMS In-Engine Trailer - Reveals plans for non-historical c

Started by Destraex, June 07, 2018, 06:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Their is a statement somewhere saying that their will be two campaign modes. One campaign mode is based on the fiction of the three kingdoms. Which means generals who can beat entire armies iirc.
The other attempts historical accuracy, however it seems they are afraid of offending china and will be doing the historical one with an emphasis on "cultural authenticity" iirc.
So anyways. The long awaited next historical title promised seems like it may not be so historical. The choices will be of playing crouching tiger hidden dragon or sanitised history.

Add to this that the engine looks like warscape still.
The game has now been delayed anyways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyVhUvWDkfA

The quote below refers to the romantisicsed three kingdoms stories that will be made into the fictional campaign. But I guess the above video reads between the lines about the historical narrative they will tell as well.
"As a western studio retelling stories of such cultural importance in much of Asia, we have to be sensitive when handling the source material in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS. In many respects, we have to hold ourselves to as high a standard for cultural authenticity as we do for historical accuracy."
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/three-kingdoms-romanticised-history
Maybe their is hope:
"Historical authenticity is clearly important for this title – what steps are you taking you ensure you achieve that?

Janos: We're working with numerous consultants to ensure both historical and cultural authenticity, one of whom is renowned historian Rafe De Crespigny. He's helping us ensure all the historical aspects of the game are as authentic as we can make them. He's the author of many of the go-to academic texts that outline the events of the Three Kingdoms period and was our first choice as a historical consultant. We're delighted with the amount of accuracy and insight he's brought to the project. His expertise has provided us with as authentic a view of the events of this period as possible.

"
I am expecting the fiction element to be front and centre and the historical campaign to simply remove the most fantastic elements from the fictional three kingdoms campaign. Leaving us with something perhaps less seriously historical than the historical team should strive for. When warhammer and warhammer II were being made some, like me, hoped that it meant the separate historical dev team would go hard core historical for us and give us something with "as close to history as possible" strategy and combat. Hopefully adding many custom features to achieve this. I am expecting a pretty vanilla experience using the current systems with almost no battlefield improvements. We will see. But the initial vibe I am getting is one of a lot of artistic license even in the historical campaign.
P.S. I am yet to pour through the 4 or 5 dedicated books I have on Chinese units and warfare to see if we even have any real evidence or fact to draw from for this period.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Generals better not be wearing Tang and Song Dynasty armour featured in the trailer for the historical version. Haha.

CJReich46

Quote from: jomni on June 07, 2018, 07:37:51 PM
Generals better not be wearing Tang and Song Dynasty armour featured in the trailer for the historical version. Haha.
Slightly OT, but does your Silk Road mod cover this period? :) Just curious.

Cao Cao resembles the one from the series I watched on You Tube.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

jomni

Quote from: CJReich46 on June 07, 2018, 10:52:10 PM
Slightly OT, but does your Silk Road mod cover this period? :) Just curious.

Cao Cao resembles the one from the series I watched on You Tube.

Yup. Silk Road covers this period.

Destraex

Really? So this is like seeing 9th Century Knights armour in the 13th century?

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on June 08, 2018, 04:40:02 AM

Really? So this is like seeing 9th Century Knights armour in the 13th century?

The foot soldiers are fine. But the generals, who have semblance to Koei's rendition, look like they are not wearing period appropriate armour.  But of course you won't notice them in the battlefield unless maybe in Fantasy mode when they are Super Generals.  Which reminds me, the usual generals in TW historical titles are procedurally generated and not historical. So maybe these characters only come out in the Fantasy mode (like Warhammer). Fingers crossed.

Destraex

Jomni. Fantasy mode seems to be the default. I think the historical team is concentrating on the fantasy mode and that it will be the main event. The historical campaign I am guessing will just be fantasy mode without the generals. Rather than any significant attempt at a historical campaign, we will simply get the three kingdoms novels version of history without the overtly fantastical generals.

SirAndrewD

Yeah.  I'm out on this one.  I get it, it's a game, people like it, Total War has never been historical.  But, I don't know, I'm a grog.  I have three levels of degrees in history, and that makes me both poor and nerdtastic on a level that's hard to comprehend. 

I can't follow CA through on this one.  Going to play FoG2's new Bellisarius DLC instead.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jomni

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 08, 2018, 11:59:43 PM
Yeah.  I'm out on this one.  I get it, it's a game, people like it, Total War has never been historical.  But, I don't know, I'm a grog.  I have three levels of degrees in history, and that makes me both poor and nerdtastic on a level that's hard to comprehend. 

I can't follow CA through on this one.  Going to play FoG2's new Bellisarius DLC instead.

Play my Silk Road mod too which covers this era. Thanks!

Destraex

Still the same old LOD issues. Things look great until you zoom out over 2m away. Then the engine rips out way too much detail and leaves you with what looks like shogun1 graphics.

Destraex

MengJiao

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 08, 2018, 11:59:43 PM

Why couldn't CA just have done the Taiping Rebellion?  Very Bloody.  Mid nineteenth-century.  Lots of technological diversity?