US troops drink Iceland dry

Started by steve58, October 27, 2018, 04:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Well Reykjavík anyway...
Last Wednesday, October 17th, 6,000-7,000 American troops landed on Iceland for joint training exercises with other NATO forces. This is the largest NATO training exercise since 2015 and officialy started on Thursday, October 25th and will last through November 23.

But, before their actual mission began, American troops decided they would partake in some good ol' fashion drinking in the nation's capital. In just two short days, bars across Reykjavík had to go into emergency mode as their beer supply simply could not keep up with the copious amounts of drinking that the American forces completed.

According to press reports, "several bars in downtown Reykjavík ran out of beer while serving thirsty US sailors." Other bars, were forced to break into their emergency supplies.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2018/10/27/7000-american-forces-go-to-iceland-for--nato-training-exercise-promptly-drink-every-beer-in-sight-n2532564

Who knew bars had emergency supplies  :clap:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Dammit Carl!

Steelgrave

Con

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

besilarius

My dad was on the destroyer Wilkes, in 1942.
Many of the cans on the Neutrality Patrol and on convoy duty pulled into Iceland for a short port visit. 
The navy establishment hosted dances and a lot of girls came.  But they came to dance and not to talk.  There was a lot of resentment over FDR "occupying" the island to ensure it didn't fall to the nazis.
The girls came for the bands, jazz was very popular, to dance, and to drink.  At the time, there was little choice of booze on the open market.
Compared to England, anecdotally, there were few romances.  Of course, since the ships were only in long enough to refuel and load supplies, the sailors had little chance to fraternise.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.