Wings Over the Reich released

Started by WallysWorld, September 05, 2018, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: DoctorQuest on September 07, 2018, 09:17:07 PM
GR, does Quick Combat work basically the same way as it does in CFS3, with options for free flight, etc.? I missed that in WOFF (or at least the version that I stopped at.)

Yep, looks to have it...not sure if it works exactly like CFS3 since I didn't play that game very much.  So far, I am liking it but again I am a sucker for the campaign part.

Toonces

$35 isn't nearly enough for everything they want to do.  I suspect strongly this is going to be DLC'd to death.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.  I think I ended up dropping $200-$300 all-in on WoFF and I never even got the final ultimate version.  WoFF was one of those games where, while it was a bummer continually putting money into it for what was essentially updates and skins, it still felt like a pretty good value proposition for what I received.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Can someone please plost some details and maybe some screenshots of the campaign menus and interface? Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 08, 2018, 10:59:27 AM
Can someone please plost some details and maybe some screenshots of the campaign menus and interface? Thanks.

CAMPAIGN

QUICK SCENARIO

QUICK COMBAT

Jarhead0331

Thanks! Looks awesome...so tempted.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 08, 2018, 11:27:18 AM
Thanks! Looks awesome...so tempted.

Yep, fun so far.  Generally speaking, has the same feel as the WWI version from a look/feel perspective, but of course with WWII content.  Just finished a mission attacking ship convoy and had a lot of fun blowing up the ships!

I am sure more content will come but for now satisfied.

Gusington

I am tempted to get this and the WOFF ultimate version. The price for the latter, 29.00, seems even a little low to me...

Grim - how difficult is it to start flying in Wings Over the Reich?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on September 08, 2018, 11:31:09 AM
I am tempted to get this and the WOFF ultimate version. The price for the latter, 29.00, seems even a little low to me...

Grim - how difficult is it to start flying in Wings Over the Reich?

Too early to tell but I am a complete novice at flight sims....has options to dumb things down which I have of course I implemented to start out....screen shot below of option screens.

Gusington

This bodes well for me...also a novice 👍

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Unfortunately I do not get LucasArts vibes from this, though. If I did, I would purchase post haste.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

trek

WOTR Tip: If you're like me you probably have a key on your stick mapped to an external behind view of your plane as it's fun to use this view on a long flight during a mission. Instead of the normal chase view try hitting the F2 key for the behind the plane "Float View." It gives you a much better visual sensation of flight in WOTR. It's even better at low-level over the landscape.

PanzersEast

Some of my observations with time flying missions in the Hurricane...

1. If you have flown with WOFF you will be right at home.  It appears most of the key mappings are the same and the interface is the same as well.  This is a plus for me as I always thought the interface had some immersion qualities.

2. The terrain is unchanged it appears, however there it does seem to be more populated.  Flying over London it quit large and full, however the terrain itself always seems a little washed out but not bad at all.

3. I have to get used to handling the Hurricane, it for sure is a little temperamental... the cockpit is very nice, with a lot of touches and the sounds I would say are quit good as well.  The Hurricane is a steady platform when firing.  The wind screen and instruments reflections etc... are really nice.  Have to take some more time and setup my controls and all....

4.  I cannot say overall, but the AI appears to be adequate.  I have have only flown convoy protection missions and engaged 110's.  I managed to stall my plane on the first mission.....

Right now it appears to be a worthwhile purchase, however I still need some time with it.... but it gives me that feeling of immersion and tension of trying to survive the entire campaign..... you can start at any point during the BOB, and there are numerous historical squadrons to choose from. 

Tally Ho!

Gusington

I really enjoyed flyiing 110s and Stukas years ago in the LucasArts games...I assume they will be available here pretty soon.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on September 08, 2018, 10:13:46 AM
$35 isn't nearly enough for everything they want to do.  I suspect strongly this is going to be DLC'd to death.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.  I think I ended up dropping $200-$300 all-in on WoFF and I never even got the final ultimate version.  WoFF was one of those games where, while it was a bummer continually putting money into it for what was essentially updates and skins, it still felt like a pretty good value proposition for what I received.

This!

After picking up WOFF, quickly followed by some high-priced DLC, I came to the end of my commitment rope.  Then they re-released WOFF ..what?..  About two or three years later at full price?  Having moved on to other things at that point, it made me want to come back to that parade even less.

Don't get me wrong.  WOFF has a great dynamic single-player campaign.  I don't fly it enough to keep up with it, though.  Got too rich for my blood.  Especially since my flight simming went all PvP all the time since then.

TLDR:
Maybe I've learned my lesson and will wait a couple years for the New Revised Complete Edition re-release.  :P