Main Menu

Revisiting an old design

Started by bayonetbrant, July 12, 2012, 02:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I'm restarting the discussions of the old GrogNews C2E2 from 2010 on the blog.

http://grognews.blogspot.com/2012/07/revisiting-c2e2.html

Some thoughts from the end of a long post about game mechanics and interactions

QuoteHow will the overall model work together? We need some way of tracking the local civilian 'mood' and support for the different sides, through political organized, governance, levels of I/O, etc. We also need a way to keep track of the body count, and what thresholds of dead units start to trigger counter-actions from the dead units' families. How do you know what true effects you have on the local areas, and how do you assess it, and how do you establish the longevity of the effects?

When military forces deploy to a tsunami zone, what are they bringing with them in terms on N-K factors, and how well does that play in affecting the local perception of them? How does training units in certain aspects change what their performance can be on the ground? If you plus up an infantry brigade with a variety of N-K assets and training, are they really more effective on the ground in N-K roles, or have you just degraded their KIN capabilities instead?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

taijeronv

Brant,
What kind of map are we talking about?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: taijeronv on September 01, 2016, 08:25:42 AM
Brant,
What kind of map are we talking about?

I was going to aim for area-based, which allows for some smaller spaces without becoming hidebound to a forced hex grid.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

taijeronv

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I assume you've seen BCT Command Kandahar?

I'm working on a design own platoon level meant for the classroom.  Kind of like Follow Me but playable over the net using Javascript. Coders here are affordable so I'm going to fund some prototypes to see how they look and "feel" in the browser. 

I'm interested in your project, will keep an eye on it.

bayonetbrant

yes, but it's at least one echelon below where I had in mind.