A Word From Our Sponsors (PLEASE READ)

Started by bayonetbrant, April 04, 2012, 09:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Hey Guys -

I'm glad everyone is digging what we're doing here, and I hope you're enjoying being members at GrogHeads, because we love all of you (yes, even you 0Kult!)

We do want to take a sec and throw out a shameless plug for something though - please take a second and click through to some of our sponsors and check out their sites, stores, and products.  They've taken a plunge in supporting a brand new start-up site on faith, and we'd like to reward that faith. 

So if you get a chance, check out stuff from Lock'n'Load Publishing, Paradox, and Gamer's Armory.  Place a small order, and tell 'em GrogHeads sent you.  We want the doors to stay open a long time, and that comes from all of us in the gaming world helping each other out.

Thanks, and now back to our regular jocularity and snarkiness.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

I've been, I saw, I looked - honest boss, I did!

I look at LnL's site everyday anyway.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

meadbelly

This is undoubtedly a stupid question, but where are the sponsors' links to click through? I'm not seeing anything, unless it's the crawl above the forum index (currently something about lock n load?). .

Staggerwing

You have to go to the main page. http://grogheads.com/
There is no link from the forums as of yet. The Mods are aware. Yes they are... ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 29, 2012, 03:44:27 PM
There is no link from the forums as of yet. The Mods are aware. Yes they are... ;)

I don't actually see any links on the front page, though. There's the 'Please support the folks that support grogheads' header on the right, but I don't see anything beneath it.

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 29, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

I don't actually see any links on the front page, though. There's the 'Please support the folks that support grogheads' header on the right, but I don't see anything beneath it.

We're running advertisements. I placed an order for some Flames of War through Gamer's Armory, for instance.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: LongBlade on April 29, 2012, 05:47:36 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 29, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

One of these days I'll actually remember that AdBlock has to be disabled first... ::)
We're running advertisements. I placed an order for some Flames of War through Gamer's Armory, for instance.

meadbelly

Lol, I didn't even know there was a main page! Awesome.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 29, 2012, 05:58:51 PMOne of these days I'll actually remember that AdBlock has to be disabled first... ::)
I'm curious about how AdBlock is picking up our ads. Do you know enough about how it works under the hood to describe it?  I ask b/c right now the ads aren't running through an ad server, but some custom code that doesn't intentionally identify them as advertisements, but just images w/ a link.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 30, 2012, 05:47:00 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 29, 2012, 05:58:51 PMOne of these days I'll actually remember that AdBlock has to be disabled first... ::)
I'm curious about how AdBlock is picking up our ads. Do you know enough about how it works under the hood to describe it?  I ask b/c right now the ads aren't running through an ad server, but some custom code that doesn't intentionally identify them as advertisements, but just images w/ a link.

No idea. But before I disabled it on the site, I saw absolutely zero advertising.

ArizonaTank

Happy to support you guys for providing a great service for free....   But like some other folks, I use Ad Block so don't see the ads.   

Besides, I spend most of my time on the forums.  I would happily read some posts from your sponsors, so you might want to offer them a place to post some articles on their products. 

And by the way...thanks for giving us grognards a place to whine.....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bayonetbrant

Just a quick 'bump' on this one - we've got some new advertisers joining us over the next few weeks, and we hope you're going to get a look at some games and companies that might have (thus far) slipped under your radar. 

Please take a moment and check them out - they're working hard to contribute to this great hobby of ours and we very much want to keep growing the pie so everyone gets big slices.

Also, we're testing a new engine to allow us to share those company ads in the forums as well, so expect to see some changes in the next few weeks on that front.  These guys make great stuff and we want to share it with you.

As always, we try to limit the ads we serve you to those that would be of interest to this community, so we're focusing on games, gaming, and gamers, and don't plan to throw any ol' random ad at you.  If you've got an issue with any of the ads you're seeing, please PM one of the admin team.

Windigo

As a born again gamer might I suggest that I wouldn't be adverse to seeing hardware ads. Everytime I purchase a new game I always think to check if you guys are advertising it. And I do follow the odd banner link. I know I have purchased games because of articles/forum threads here.

Keep on grogging on.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Tuna

Ad's are great to offset the cost of the site!.. But, anyway to turn off the 'active' background in the Mobile version of the forum? I'm trying to hit the lil 'new posts' link or number, and when I 'miss' which is more often than not.. I keep loading into Amazon..