The Great Pendragon Campaign

Started by Toonces, April 24, 2012, 02:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

The year is 485 A.D.  You are in Salisbury, a county in Logres located in the south-central portion of Britain.  Uther Pendragon is the King of Logres, but his hold is weak over three of his most powerful lords- the Dukes of Cornwall, Caercolun, and Lindsey.  Fortunately, the strongest of them all, Duke Ulfius of Silchester is a loyal vassal.

Saxon invaders have established several small but warlike kingdoms on British soil.  Their raiders are a constant menace, and there is still a good chance that they will get together an army and attacke more cities and lands.

You are all young squires, 21 years old, on the verge of knighthood.  You have been training as a squire to your knight since you were 15.  You have learned a great deal, both in serving your knight and under the guidance of Sir Elad, the castellan of Vagon Castle and marshal to the Earl of Salisbury. 

It is a warm, sunny day like many others during which you have trained in the duties of knighthood.  Under Sir Elad's guidance, you have just finished a long round of jousting practice against the quintain, a vertical post with a rotating horizontal arm attached to which is a shield on one arm, and a rope with a stone on the other.  At the conclusion of several rounds of jousting, Sir Elad gathers you all around him in a semi-circle to the side of the training grounds.  You stand there in your mud spattered armor, your horses tied to nearby trees, grazing in the nearby grass.

Sir Elad:  "Young squires, your time of training nears completion.  I have taught you many squirely and knightly skills.  I have taught you to fight with spear and sword, to ride and joust, to judge your opponent's skill by the manner by which he carries himself afoot and ahorse.  Now, as you approach the time when you will go out into the world on your own, there is yet another skill you must learn. You must learn to be able to speak of yourself, to announce yourself to your fellow Britons and knights, to describe yourself and your family to others.  Perhaps, young squire Godric, you would like to begin?"
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Barthheart

Yes Sir Elad, thank you, I will begin.

I am Squire Godric de Pitton, eldest son of Sir Gerard de Pitton. Our family has pledged allegiance to Sir Roderick, Earl of Salisbury since the time of King Constantin.

As you can see, I am a tall barrel-chest fellow with a full deep voice. Keep my dark hair short and beard trimmed in the same manner of my father before me.

As this is the year of my 21st birthday I look forward to finally becoming a Knight so I too can lend my sword to the aid of my Earl and my Lord God in ridding our fair land of the Saxons who killed my father!

Toonces

Sir Elad:  "Well spoken, Squire Godric.  Short and to the point, but with enough details that your audience will have a sense of what you are about.  I trust you will have many, many opportunities to serve our great Earl in his continuing fight against the Saxons."

"I see you other two are nervous to start.  Don't be!  I know that my punishments in the past have been severe, but you have proven yourselves as able squires and I believe we can spare the rod at this point."
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Sire!
I am Maelgwyn, proud to be son of Cadgwyn. My people have faithfully served the True rulers of Cymbri since the Rome-Folk left us to save their own besieged lands. We now pledge our troth to the Noble Earl of Salisbury. As you well know, the Earl allows us great freedom to maintain the Old Ways as long as we do not shame him in the eyes of the Christ-folk. It is because of his strong patronage that I was able to join the squires here in Salisbury as the appearence of my eldritch eyes has since birth cause consternation among the lower noble-folk and my Druid uncles have been distrusted by those manor and townsfolk who have been splashed with the Church's water. It is in honor of both my father and my Uncles that I keep my lip-hair long and my chin plucked and I have the Woad skin marks of my otherwordly ancestors. I also carry the Charmed family Lance that is now mine to wield against the foes of Sir Roderick. Woe the Saxon who will not bow down before Him and swear fealty!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Apologies, Ser Elad.

I am Squire Dalan of Stapleford, son of Sir Hervis of Stapleford. We have a long tradition of allegiance to Sir Roderick, Earl of Salisbury.

I am long of hair because my father taught me that a man should focus on his training above concerns for his hair. I have tried to follow the same focus and regimen that I witnessed in him, and hope that I have come close to his example.

I have turned 21, and I look ahead to finally becoming a Knight as my father was. I wish only to serve my Earl and help find justice for the people as he sees fit.

Barthheart

(mutters under breath).... damn druid tree hugging heathens...

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on April 26, 2012, 08:47:39 PM
(mutters under breath).... damn druid tree hugging heathens...

*Runs thumb along sharp edge of Charmed Lance*
What was that, Fellow Squire? Mine ears fail me today it would seem....

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Toonces

Sir Elad: "Very well, young squires.  Now then, we have need for your talents...a small task for the good of the country.  The peasants have reported a man-eating bear in the west acres.  I have never heard of such a thing.  It's probably a rapid dog.  Even if it is a chipmunk, though, you must go and take care of it because they claim it is too dangerous for them to come and work the lord's fields."

Sir Elad slowly shakes his head.

"Now then, squire Godric, you shall lead the expedition.  Go to Imber and ask for Old Garr, the priest.  It is already noon, and Imber lies a half day ride away, so you may leave now and arrive this evening or perhaps tomorrow morning would be a more appropriate time to leave...what say you?"

Arctic Blast

"I'm certainly curious to see this man eating beast of the hills. I would be for leaving at once. If we can get there tonight, we can hunt this monster down and deal with it tomorrow."

Barthheart

"Sir Elad, I believe we should ride at once. We could then rest up for the night and tackle this mystery fresh in the morning."

Staggerwing

Sir Elad, At the risk of seeming timid I must suggest caution. A bear has not been seen in these lands for many generations and I fear that there could be grave risk of offending certain powers if we do not prepare ourselves properly. This bear could be a favorite of one of the Old Ones such as Matunus to have survived these many centuries. We should seek council of those such as know the proper way to kill a beast who may be Fey or otherworldly. I can be most discrete in this matter and consult my Uncle later this afternoon. There will still be time to ride after that. Were this a wolf or even a Saxon giant we all should ride off to vanquish or die gloriously but when the Fey might be at hand 'tis a very different matter.

Arctic Blast

"Trust Maelgwyn to beg caution. Whatever is wandering the lands is a threat to the good people there. Is it not the job for a knight to help protect the people? I say we leave at once."

Staggerwing

"When the foe may be from beyond the mists of this world then a few extra hours of preparation are no challenge to a man's honor. Neither are milk-skinned whelps who soles are more suited to the smooth stone inside the castles of their Pater-familias than the bite of living Cymric rock. I have said my words and will now wait to hear what Godric chooses as to his preferred time of departure as Sir Elad has placed him at our lead. If Godric keeps to his original desire then I shall prepare at once."

Barthheart

"The Fey are but the reminants for your failed heathen religion, Maelgwyn. We shall ride at once."

Staggerwing

"Aye, as you wish. Yet, do not scoff so quickly at things beyond the understanding of the fat friars who claim to know the true world but never leave their cozy walls.
And remember that I do not mock your own religion, merely some of it's followers. I shall fetch my Charger now. "
*Under Breath*"Gogoniant i ladd a gogoniant i farw. Dim gogoniant mewn ysbrydion."