The next Napleonic mod (Campaign Marengo mod released)

Started by Philippe, August 08, 2017, 05:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

I've always thought of the Italian theater as a French versus Austrians only event.  I've been delighted to discover that there were more than two nationalities actively involved, though the French and the Austrians were the main ones.  Here are the screenshots for the Campaign Marengo mod that I'll get around to releasing as soon as I've written up some semblance of installation instructions and mod notes.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Sir Slash

There was also some Russian guy named Alexander Suvorov who hung around there for a little while too.  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Philippe

He's riding on horseback about half a mile behind the last Russian marcher on the right.  I would have centered the screenshot on him, but there wouldn't have been very many other Russians in the picture.

I use his triumphal entry into Milan as the Allied victory screen.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Philippe

The Campaign Marengo has been released and version 1.0 is ready for download.

Links for downloading can be found here

https://app.box.com/s/t2jkmo6h0mpyjfb1eb66kvtb8divzgnr

and in the Complete list of Philipe's Napoleonic mods thread elsewhere on this forum.

Although this mod is an extension of my earlier Napoleonic mods, there were a lot of niggling little issues that needed to be adjusted.  I've learned over the years that a lot of little files don't always make the transfer from my personal installation to the mod version, but that's why I keep updating these things until they come out right.

Campaign Marengo has a lot of mountainous terrain not found in the other games in the series, so I ended up having to fiddle with textures that I thought I had nailed down years ago. I also corrected an error in one of the fortification textures that might show up in the other mods.  I used the Italian buildings from the vanilla release, but had to repaint them to remove their trees which clash with the ones I use in my mod. There was also the little matter of the four or five hundred French flags that show up in the Campaign games that had the blue stripe on the outside instead of against the pole.  Not a problem, since I make these mods to perfect my Carpel Tunnel.

Version 1.0 includes small flags for the 3D infantry units that also match the flags in the background of the unit boxes.  I chose not to put flags on the cavalry units, and in any case it would have looked too cluttered when there are four or more cavalry units in one hex.  The flags on the infantry units are part of the unit image, and don't respond to the view flags on/off toggle which only effects the victory location flags.

In case anyone was wondering, French regimental flags during the years after the Revolution were very different from the ones that were used under Napoleon's Empire.  Because of the way the game was constructed you will only see one kind of flag for each type of infantry unit, but in fact each regiment used two different flags: one for the first and third battalions, and a different one for the second battalion.  All second battalion flags looked pretty much alike, but the variety found in the first/third battalion flags can be astonishing.  I've used different French regimental flags to give a little bit of the sense of what this was like in the phase boxes (which you'll only see if you play with Manual Defensive Fire turned off).  And yes, Napoleon didn't carry a simple tricolor over the bridge at Arcola.

By kind permission, the mod includes most of Ed William's Sound Pack for the Napoleonic Campaigns series, so you won't have to go to the Volcano Man site to download his sounds separately. I haven't included his skirmisher fire sound clips because I like skirmisher fire to sound very different from battalion fire, but I've been flip-flopping on this over the years and may change my mind in the next version.

Installation:

The mod mimics the folder structure of the game. Start with a clean version of Campaign Marengo and apply the latest official patch.  Paste the mod's Campaign Marengo folder inside the John Tiller Software folder.  This will overwrite many files in the original game, so be sure to back up your original first.  Always reapply the mod after an official patch, because if you don't the patch will almost certainly overwrite part of the mod. If your system doesn't start asking you if you want to overwrite things, you installed the mod in the wrong place and it won't work.

The mod includes two desktop icons that you can use as shortcuts for the campaign game and the scenario game. 

To use an icon, make a shortcut from the cpr or cp_start application files inside the game's Campaign Marengo folder, and move it to your desktop (in Windows XP move your mouse over the file, right-click, choose create shortcut from drop-down menu, partially shrink your screen by clicking on the middle of three tabs in the top right-hand corner, find the newly created 'shortcut to cpr' icon - probably the last icon in your Campaign Marengo folder - and slide it onto your desktop). Go to your desktop and find the 'shortcut to cpr' icon and right-click.  Then click on properties and change the icon.  Remember that you'll have to navigate back to the Campaign Marengo folder and look for the Desktop Icon.  Once you've changed the icon (and don't forget to click on 'apply'), you'll probably want to rename the file from the cryptic 'shortcut to cpq' to something a bit more comprehensible like 'Campaign Marengo', 'Marengo' or 'My Italian vacation'.

I sometimes run out of bandwidth late in the month, so if you find you are unable to download the mod, wait until the next month when my bandwidth will have had a chance to reset. If I start
to have bandwidth problems on a regular basis I'll add a drobox link.

Philippe

I've repainted the boats and corrected one of the Italian flags, so the mod has been updated to version 1.01.  The link in the post describing the mod will take you to the latest version.

GJK

Do you have a quick link to the rest of your mods Phillipe?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Philippe