COD: Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2

Started by Jarhead0331, November 05, 2016, 10:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: jamus34 on November 06, 2016, 09:42:04 PM
Yeah RPS has been pissing me off with some of their "editorial" pieces lately.

if your main character isnt a troubled transgender LGBT disabled homeless person youre f****** with RPS

Grim.Reaper

Download completed during the night, but of course now work week starts.....hope to get a little time tonight.

Grimnirsson

QuoteBest Call of Duty campaign since MW. No question about it. Haters are always going to hate.

I don't doubt that the campaign is fun but actually the campaign is only part of the game and most players buy it for the MP. And the latter is but a shadow of the game it once was and it gets worse with every new CoD it seems. All this bunny hopping through extremely small maps, the dated graphics engine, the often horrible p2p connection resulting in either micro-stuttering or extreme lags, the microtransactions (now as it seems even pay to win features), the silly presentation of the characters which address kids who want to be cool, the ridiculous weapon skins, every game now comes with a Zombie mode, so no innovation here either,  etc..
We played every CoD for a year until the next game came out and then continued to play like any true fan did or still does, but Advanced Warfare was sold after 10 days because it was not fun anymore. We tried again with Blops 3 but sold it too because it was the same stuff as in AW and on top of that they even messed up the splitscreen mode - first time in the series the mode was unplayable because of the screen size and tiny fonts. So we are done with the game series after all these years enjoying now Titanfall 2 which is actually fun again and doesn't use shitty p2p connections.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

^all of the above may be completely true, but it is also totally irrelevant to a player like me. I have no desire to play this game in mp with random people on the Internet. If I use the mp mode at all, it will be to play against bots.

That's why a return to the glory days of a solid sp campaign is greatly welcome. People who prefer mp focus have absolutely nothing to complain about. The vast majority of games these days have a mp focus. If you don't like one, you have another 20 options at any given time to choose from.

Critics should realize there are still gamers who value sp content. I'm glad some developers still do.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grimnirsson

Oh I agree 100% Jar, if you like the campaign and that's enough you are fine. In the past though CoD had cool campaigns and a MP blast second to none. The latter part is totally gone and the series turned into a simple cash cow for the publisher and complete silliness regarding MP . I'm speaking as a disappointed former fan you know...if you enjoy the campaign, by all means ignore what I said  :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

While we are talking about single player, I heard Titanfall 2 patched in an option to run maps in solo mode. However, it appears that this is truly SOLO with no option to include bots. So, if you wanted to explore or recon a map by yourself without having to jump into an online match, you can now do this. I hope I'm wrong about this, but if not, I also hope someday they actually add the option for bots.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grimnirsson on November 07, 2016, 03:14:16 PM
Oh I agree 100% Jar, if you like the campaign and that's enough you are fine. In the past though CoD had cool campaigns and a MP blast second to none. The latter part is totally gone and the series turned into a simple cash cow for the publisher and complete silliness regarding MP . I'm speaking as a disappointed former fan you know...if you enjoy the campaign, by all means ignore what I said  :)
Angry Joe had a rant about MP. Apparently if you bought IW through the Windows 10 Store, then you cannot play online with people who bought it through Steam.

I wasn't too bothered as I don't play MP, but his anger was about reducing the amount of available people playing on PC...kind of splitting the online fan base.

Seems a very odd decision. No idea why that happened. He stated 15,000 people were registered playing online as it's peak on Steam and 10,000 an hour ago 13,000 in the last 24 hours. Given it's CoD, compare that to Civilization VI which has 162,000 at it's peak and 53,000 an hour ago and 78,000 in the last 24 hours.

As I said - I'm not fussed in the slightest as I don't play MP - but it seems odd to reduce the number of players playing online on PC by splitting the community.

I'll be getting this game for the single player campaign and the remastered MW.
Alba gu' brath

FlickJax

Tbh I think FPS multiplay had a sweet spot from about 2000-2008, since then it has been downhill all the way.

So I am a singleplayer these days

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: FlickJax on November 07, 2016, 04:58:08 PM
Tbh I think FPS multiplay had a sweet spot from about 2000-2008, since then it has been downhill all the way.

So I am a singleplayer these days

Couldn't agree more; I've thought about doing a study on the stimulation enhancement (? or increase) in online gaming in the last 5-10 years. The evidence is simple; just browse YouTube and compare gameplay footage from then until now. Gameplay speeds have been significantly increased, the amount of 'flair' on a player UI/screen has increased, and games have a focus on a reward system with unlocks, so players feel compelled to keep playing.

JudgeDredd

Angry Joe Review of Titanfall 2

He mentions it being 5 hours. I got 12 on my first play through, so I must just be crap.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

^I have six hours into it and I'm not finished yet. However, I think I'm pretty close to the end. I've been sidetracked by IW ans MW.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I was so close to buying this last night when I saw that I had £60 in my Paypal account from a sale of my old monitor - and decided to spend it on a family visit to TGI Fridays and going to see Doctor Strange.

We were doing that anyway - but the money can offset the cost. But IW is still very much on my list - I doubt I'll see the year out before I buy. I desperately want to get my hands on the remastered MW.
Alba gu' brath

Hofstadter

Aw man I tried to use a Mexican VPN to get TF2 but apparently they found the loophole and closed it.

I coulda bought it for 30 bucks
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

FlickJax

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath