My new computer. Breaking it in...

Started by SirAndrewD, October 22, 2019, 10:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Just finished putting together my new rig today.  First big upgrade in six years. 

I-9 9900k, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 32gb of Kingston HyperX, Corsair 850w PSU, 2tb SSD and 2tb WD Mechanical.

Yes, I'm bragging.   :D

Trying to figure out something ridiculous and good to put on it and try it out.  I have Arma 3 and IL2, I know they push some boundaries.   But I'm wondering what I can throw on this and really really swing for the fences. 

What games really give you guys a run for your money and are good?   I mean, you know me, I've got a ton.  Just trying to think of something new (outside Outer Worlds this week) that I can get that will cross my eyes and boggle my dongle.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

RommelFox

Very nice upgrade!

I'm running a FX-8320 and R9 390 card, and I'm really trying not to upgrade until something major breaks.    :hide:

I believe Total War Warhammer II has some pretty beefy requirements? 
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

SirAndrewD

Yep, that's one I've got I need to reinstall and give a go with.   

Been a bit since I'd done a campaign so It'll be nice to set some benchmarks.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Very similar to the system I just got and have been wondering the same thing. Also installed ARMA 3 and BoX. For me the real test is going to be DCS with VR. Construction is almost done downstairs, at which point I can set up my flight and vr gear.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Wildlands was pretty hefty on requirements, as was Arkham Knight -- they're essentially why I finally trashed my Nvidia 680 SLI (or whatever its number was) for a 1080Ti.

Hm, today, aside from things already mentioned... Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is a big system hog.

I suspect the NBA2x games are beasts, but I don't know from experience.

Red Dead Redemption 2 will be out for PC in a few weeks (supposedly); it's quite late-gen. The new Spider-man game from last year should be dropping around Christmas, but I haven't heard any chatter about that. Console ports to PC are notorious generally, so those are good places to look!  :coolsmiley:

What else.... Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2? Blood Bowl 2? They aren't the latest things but they're infamous for being system hogs.

.....Pride of Nations?!  >:D

Arma 3? Witcher 3? (Again not recent but known system hogs.)

What's the most recent AssCreed games? Origins and Odyssey?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Ah, here's one from last year which would just flash-fire people's systems: Space Hulk Deathwing!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Ian C

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 22, 2019, 10:54:37 PM
Just finished putting together my new rig today.  First big upgrade in six years. 

I-9 9900k, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 32gb of Kingston HyperX, Corsair 850w PSU, 2tb SSD and 2tb WD Mechanical.

Trying to figure out something ridiculous and good to put on it and try it out. 

*Low whistle at the specs*

Assassins Creed Odyssey with all graphic settings on max. Will be interesting to see how great that looks.

OJsDad

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 22, 2019, 10:54:37 PM

Trying to figure out something ridiculous and good to put on it and try it out.  I have Arma 3 and IL2, I know they push some boundaries.   But I'm wondering what I can throw on this and really really swing for the fences. 

What games really give you guys a run for your money and are good?   I mean, you know me, I've got a ton.  Just trying to think of something new (outside Outer Worlds this week) that I can get that will cross my eyes and boggle my dongle.

What did that cost to built it yourself?
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

al_infierno

I hear the original Crysis on max settings is still a pretty good benchmark.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 23, 2019, 12:51:32 PM
I hear the original Crysis on max settings is still a pretty good benchmark.

True...it is, but you have to tweak a few things.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I'd say to really test go DCS World in VR and run one of those insane stress test missions with thousands of units battling. :)

Also Ashes of the Singularity on a huge map with maxed out settings will be a true test of powerrrrr.

With the risk of sounding jealous: why an i9 9900k? Are you often busy with doing video editing? For gaming only you paid too much for options that aren't used. :) In fact, hyperthreading is known to hinder game performance sometimes. That doesnt make it a bad choice of course, just that a 9700k would net you the same approx performance for less money is all.
I also accept 'just because I can', cause that would be something I'd say. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 23, 2019, 01:24:08 PM

With the risk of sounding jealous: why an i9 9900k? Are you often busy with doing video editing? For gaming only you paid too much for options that aren't used. :) In fact, hyperthreading is known to hinder game performance sometimes. That doesnt make it a bad choice of course, just that a 9700k would net you the same approx performance for less money is all.
I also accept 'just because I can', cause that would be something I'd say. :D

Yeah...I went with a Core i7-9700K for this reason.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

All good suggestions.   Honestly, the two things that I saw the most improvements on in quality and FPS were Arma 3 and IL2.   

The improvements to IL2 mostly showed up in career mode using time acceleration to travel between way points.   On my old machine it couldn't do much more than 2x, and even then it wasn't very fast.  This one moves along at a perfectly good clip.   This is exciting because I haven't really been able to play Career because I didn't have the time to invest in a mission that was going to eat up more than an hour of just point a-b. 

Yes, I got a 9900k because I can.   :coolsmiley:

I mean, there's a bit more to it than that.  Some of it was future proofing, some of it was the fact that I use the machine for my work too, and I do a LOT of video conferencing and multitasking when I do that.   But, yes, I could achieve the same for less.  But in this case I kind of wanted to treat myself.   At least I didn't get too absurd and get an X series.  At that point it was getting ridiculous.. 

The whole thing wasn't too bad when all was said and done.  I got it put together just north of $2k, which is a lot but if it lasts as long and works as well as my old computer that's really not something I am worried about.   I spent all year sale hunting and piecing the machine out bit by bit and I figure next time I do it I'll have the same approach. 

Now I have to decide if I finally want to take the VR plunge like Jarhead.

Moreb

Trying to figure out something ridiculous and good to put on it and try it out.

Graviteam Tactics Mius Front, Black Snow DLC with unlimited battle radius. MF has some fantastic tight code, but that op is a beast. I have similar components and with all the smoke and thousands of rounds to track, I have to set medium or smaller settings.

This is 1,059 troops and 40 heavy weapons. Chug. Chug.

When dongles fly? - mirth

JasonPratt

He wants to break it in -- not break it!  ::)