Better late than never. Geek&sundry reviews Sails of Glory

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, February 24, 2017, 02:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

A little light in content and I personally think that Sails of Glory is more similar to Armada than X-Wing but if it generates more interest, great.  I am a huge fan of the game but the player base is wo fully small.

http://geekandsundry.com/sails-of-glory-the-miniature-game-x-wing-players-will-love/

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

I dunno.  They're in line with what you'd pay for an X-Wing mini.  You get the ship model, a stand, a data card and log board with two ship variants, and a manoeuvre deck for $14-20 depending on the size of the ship.   I'm OK with that. 

Nefaro

Is the expansion with the log boards, counters, etc still short on supply?

I recall those having a print shortage for awhile.  Making trouble for doing scenarios with more than 2v2 if you didn't have the extra command boards & pieces.

Still haven't messed with my base set plus the two extra ships I got quite awhile back.  Being so backed up and scattered, I've been considering adding that to my sale list.

Phantom

Its a good game - as discussed, as with real life age of sail, its all about manoeuvre. Get into a good position (which with sail settings, wind direction & of course your opponent not always doing what you want) can be a little tricky, and the shooting will be decisive.
I'm experimenting with combining the AOS sailing model with the Close Action damage model to give a more historically accurate game.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Nefaro on February 25, 2017, 12:42:33 AM
Is the expansion with the log boards, counters, etc still short on supply?

I recall those having a print shortage for awhile.  Making trouble for doing scenarios with more than 2v2 if you didn't have the extra command boards & pieces.

Still haven't messed with my base set plus the two extra ships I got quite awhile back.  Being so backed up and scattered, I've been considering adding that to my sale list.

I don't know.  I bought two extra sets at different times and it was in stock both times I wanted to buy it.  I have seen others who ran sessions who made their own extra copies with a scanner and cardstock rather than buy new logs.

Cyrano

There's a fellah who persuaded his wife -- a graphic designer she tells me -- to mock up "white board", erase-able log boards for use in his convention games.  He runs them at both Origins and GenCon if memory serves.

There was no earthly way I wasn't going to buy this game and all the damn ships...few short of the new Spanish ones, but getting there...but:

1.  AREAS didn't think through their releases far enough in advance.  They seemed to want to hit the Trafalgar ships hard, then not, then on again, and so it's sea-sawed back and forth.  They also never got straight which ships they wanted to release as "doubles", i.e., playable as an alternative to the main ship pack, and which were sufficiently different from their peers to merit a separate release.  The examples I could point to here are far too tedious to mention.

2.  The ships are fragile and a bit fiddly.

3.  The rules are not built for large, fleet battles, particularly as concerns sailing in line.  As "Kiss Me, Hardy" argues convincingly, no decent captain of the era (pace much of the Spanish fleet, would have been ignorant as to how to sail his ship straight ahead, figurehead-to-captain's quarters.

As matters stand, for me, it:

1.  KMH
2.  Sails of Glory
3.  Flying Colors
4.  WS&IM, for pure nostalgia
5.  Close Action, but you've really gotta wanna...or be playing at one of Mark Campbell's convention games which are awesome.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806