I'm getting Rebellion

Started by JudgeDredd, December 22, 2016, 09:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Damn. Seems like my daughter might not be on my side afterall...having found out the game is £70. She's very cautious with money - much like her mother. A very good trait to have - but not when I want a game.

We have the money. There are no concerns over that - but it's abhorrent to her to pay that for a board game. If I was to buy, I'd struggle to get her to enjoy it.

We'll see.  :(
Alba gu' brath

W8taminute

Those are admirable traits to have but I understand what you mean.  Tell her sometimes in life it's ok to splurge and enjoy oneself.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bayonetbrant

Figure out the £/hr of play you'll get out of it and compare that to going to the movie theater
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

(Do I post the picture of my shrink-wrapped copy what Santa left for me?  No, that would be wrong.)

Seriously, Brant is completely on point.  If it's as good as everyone says -- and I believe it is -- it you play a $65 for, say 80 hours, how is that not a good expenditure of recreational dollars?  It's only ADHD gamers like me that wind up losing out...and are happy doing so.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JudgeDredd

Good points. It costs us £30 to go to the cinema. Hell...we spent about £150 on 5 trips to see The Winter Soldier alone...and that was just the tickets...add food AND the Blu-ray!!
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

JD ...into consideration you also may take

nice things about Rebellion over at BGG I have read, but solitaire mode included there is not!

i sense a greater part of the enjoyment you are daring for is to play it with/against your daughter. Not getting the game might be (a message from her subconscious) that the mood for Star Wars is already fading away and will be replayed with a new topic of interest soon ...(its a women, after all / moodswings) and so she might play it reluctant once (only to please her dad) and then never simply 'find the time' for setting it up again...   

so you might consider to give yourself a belated Xmas treat and get that super expensive Falkland game you always wanted so bad instead! ...and enjoy some other father-daughter-activity that she really will enjoy like a movie to cover that part to feel in balance with the force   

JudgeDredd

MikeGER - that is a fantastic idea  O0
Alba gu' brath

Cyrano

So for Christmas, Santa brings me "Rebellion", "Captain Sonar", DC Games' "Leipzig", DVG's "Killshot", and three Steam gift cards.

What am I playing for hours upon end?

Borderlands 2 co-op with my son.

He's obsessed with his gunzerker.

The digital equivalent of playing with the box.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

I have Rebellion, myself...I've had the damn thing since March or so. I bought it just before my job went into maximum overdrive...it's still sitting on my shelf IN THE WRAP. :)

I've been wanting to get it out and do an unboxing video. I've actually gotten quite a few board games to the table this week. I hope to do something more tomorrow, maybe a how to play on both WWII Warfighter and U-Boat Leader, and had hoped to do Rebellion unboxing as well. The week is not half over but tomorrow late afternoon/evening we're going to the K-State/A&M bowl game and then Thursday we'll be out of town for the day, but there's more to be done game-wise through the weekend.

You'd probably get a lot of mileage with that game, JD, but if you ever get bored and want to try an over-the-ocean competition, maybe we can set up our boards and pass turns back and forth through images/this board.

MikeGER

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 27, 2016, 09:25:08 PM
You'd probably get a lot of mileage with that game, JD, but if you ever get bored and want to try an over-the-ocean competition, maybe we can set up our boards and pass turns back and forth through images/this board.

there is a module in Tabletop Simulator Workshop to smooth that approach :nerd:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674546583&searchtext= 

...and you both could take screenshots for nice AARs to let the Grogs see how that fighting develops  O0 

BanzaiCat

Cool! Thanks, Mike - didn't even think of checking out TTS.  :bd:

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 28, 2016, 09:32:57 AM
Cool! Thanks, Mike - didn't even think of checking out TTS.  :bd:

Let's play!

undercovergeek

I'd be tempted to get the game just to set it up and play with you guys

W8taminute

Table top simulator let's you make modules like this?  Adding this to my wishlist now...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

BanzaiCat

I'mma get it out now and check it out. I won't do an unboxing - I have several WWII Warfighter expansion unboxings to finish editing/rendering. Not to mention a GrogCast. I want nothing to do with work this week, though. :(