To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Normandy '44 is a beautiful game and deserves its own GMT tray and not baggies  >:(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on March 28, 2017, 05:40:44 AM
Normandy '44 is a beautiful game and deserves its own GMT tray and not baggies  >:(

Agreed. It doesn't seem right to make them all pretty and clipped only to stuff them into baggies.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

They all deserve trays or plastic "bead boxes".

Unfortunately some wargames come with minimal box room.   :tickedoff:   

GMT has been improving the extra room in some of their games lately.  Hopefully that will extend to all of them.  But there are others, such as MMP, with thin ass boxes, bulging even with a single counter tray inside.  I've got a pair of those with the lid barely on, after cramming a counter tray in with it's book, maps, and deck of cards. :knuppel2:

Crossroads

Quote from: Nefaro on March 28, 2017, 08:07:43 AM

They all deserve trays or plastic "bead boxes".

Unfortunately some wargames come with minimal box room.   :tickedoff:   

GMT has been improving the extra room in some of their games lately.  Hopefully that will extend to all of them.  But there are others, such as MMP, with thin ass boxes, bulging even with a single counter tray inside.  I've got a pair of those with the lid barely on, after cramming a counter tray in with it's book, maps, and deck of cards. :knuppel2:

Funny enough, I've got three MMP games Blitzkrieg Legend being the newest one I own but that one using the classic book case size, while Korea and Baltic Gap are older but smaller.

Alas, they are never large enough are they... GMT trays, latest manual version prints, even the older large boxes like the WaW box end up bulging, not to mention the smaller boxes everyone's seemingly using nowadays...
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

As for clipping and trays, just finished clipping the Warfighter box I got a few weeks back. Same here, not enough room for all the stuff.

I downloaded the figure profile file from BGG and printed it in color, twosided, and laminated them. Quite nice, except at this side of pond we've got our A/5/4/3 system, and the originals were with Letter size. I just need to print them one sided and redo I guess.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

I'd be willing to pay a little extra if GMT included a tray with each game. I have quite a collection of those little baggies which I will never use for the counters.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on March 28, 2017, 12:25:59 PM
I'd be willing to pay a little extra if GMT included a tray with each game. I have quite a collection of those little baggies which I will never use for the counters.

Yeah, that would be handy for sure. Hunting GMT trays at this side of pond is not easy at times either, as sellers often are out of stock. I am down to my last empty one. Time to restock...

bob48

I found I could buy 10 direct from GMT cheaper than I could buy 4 from a UK source.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Crossroads

Good thing this came up, Hexasim (France) had 3 on stock so I picked one for 22e / 10 trays  O0

mirth

I don't have any trouble buying the GMT trays. Just be handy to have them come with the game instead of the unwanted baggies.

Crossroads

So now (soon) I have eleven empty trays sitting in the shelf, all wanting to see some action. This, from almost running out of them. GMT's Silver Bayonet next?

It is a vicious cycle. They do this on purpose.

Not that I am complaining mind. We all need our excuses O:-)

Nefaro

Hell.. sometimes the GMT trays are sold out here in the US.  Although it's been a couple years since I last saw that happen.

I wait until I order some stuff from places like CSI which offer free shipping over a certain value ($100 in that case).  If I need a little bit more, to push it over and save on shipping, I'll add a stack of 4-8 to the order.  O0

Staggerwing

Not to add fuel to the fire...

... but the 2mm Oregon Lamination trimmer is now down to 36 bucks American:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2G340O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: mirth on March 13, 2017, 08:55:23 PM
"Cardboard womb"....creepy and well played!

Lately I've been moving toward the series-in-a-bin solution.  This used to be what happened to a "series" (like say all Avalanche naval games) when it went to the barn and was never expected to come back.  The essence of the series-in-a-bin solution is the bin -- a capacious plastic box-thing with a tight lid that can hold a lot of game boxes.  These days even popular games are getting stored as follows:
1) everything in several trays (the master-marker tray + popular battles or formations in GMT trays)
2) Maps in the bin
3) boxes and trays in the bin
4) miscellaneous other stuff in the bin
5) unpopular battles (such as Wittstock 1636 or Buena Vista or Hasta La Vista) in baggies in the bottom of the bin

And the bin somewhere like a closet or a loft or the basement -- it doesn't have to go to the barn!  And you've got everything for a series right there!
And it all floats on a cushion of air-plumped baggies of unpopular battles.

Barthheart

Panzerde's head is going to explode when he reads that...  :2funny: