Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Good question.
I believe the system needs to process at least one turn after the player has gone AI for it to 'know'. After that I assume it will ignore that nation from then on.
We will be back at normal intervals once Vlam has reported back online.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

byrdman57

Sorry to be the one of the folks who makes you go AI Corwin  :( But I will enjoy your land  :)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Corwin123 on May 05, 2013, 03:55:46 PM
As I am fighting a losing battle against two strong opponents and see no chance to fend them off, I am quickly losing interest in this game.

You can still change the face of the game, Corwin.  Make the buggers work for it!  The longer it takes them to conquer your lands, the weaker they will be against their other opponents!

Like me. :D

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 06, 2013, 01:52:43 AM
Quote from: Corwin123 on May 05, 2013, 03:55:46 PM
As I am fighting a losing battle against two strong opponents and see no chance to fend them off, I am quickly losing interest in this game.

You can still change the face of the game, Corwin.  Make the buggers work for it!  The longer it takes them to conquer your lands, the weaker they will be against their other opponents!

Like me. :D

agreed - on the small game Jason and Ysk retired early and are now realising if theyd stayed in they could probably have had a better outcome

parone

i learned some of my best lessons while in 'last stand' mode.

and on one occassion, was actually able to break loose and inflict major damage on a nation that had me dead to rights.  that is unlikely, but i think it is still my favorite dominion moment of all time-my low tech horde wading through his high level evos, exahuasting his mages, and then butchering them!

no matter what, C'tis will not quit in this game.  you'll have to kill every last lizard(and skeletal lizard)

Yskonyn

Yeah, Caelum will fight to the last angel too, this time.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 06, 2013, 02:32:07 AM
agreed - on the small game Jason and Ysk retired early and are now realising if theyd stayed in they could probably have had a better outcome

Um... no? I think the answer to that is "no".

I actually delayed retiring several turns (and thought I would be forced out of the game several turns earlier than that) in order to experiment on some things for later application. I doubt I would have had a better outcome had I stayed in; Mictlan wasn't my ally, and my ally was being chewed up by another opponent who could keep him pinned while doing other things.

If the AI is running rampant with my position after the fact, I'd find that amusing and instructive, but not actually being in the game I don't know anything about that yet. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

There probably wasn't a better outcome for Caelum either, but it sure would have been interesting to see with me own two eyes how Huw was struggling. :)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 06, 2013, 04:52:53 PM
There probably wasn't a better outcome for Caelum either, but it sure would have been interesting to see with me own two eyes how Huw was struggling. :)

Well, losing half my army to that lone unit wasn't helpful! :P

It's mostly down to lack of supply which meant most of my units were afflicted before even arriving at Caelum, and also your mages' spells were making mincemeat of even my elite troops before they could even get inside the castle walls.  The afflictions hurt here, too; their protection and HP values were way below normal which made things a lot easier for your mages.  I've found a potential solution, but now I have other problems...

Your flying troops are laughably easy to swat away on an even battlefield, but inside castle walls within a strong friendly dominion it's another story altogether.

Yskonyn

Yes, I am still struggling to find a good offensive/raiding army with Caelum. Their Tiny size is a big problem too.

JasonPratt

Amusingly, my own winged men flying troops (which I never used) have a size 2 and are generally much better at physical fighting than any winged soldiers fielded by Caelum.

Having said that, Caelum had the three or four most deadly heroes for the first couple of game years.

Edited to add: I mean in the early age game, not this one. Jomon has no flying humanoid troops so far as anyone here knows or has discovered yet.  ;D

(Which is too bad, considering that I'm starting to get a bit hampered by my own allies. Jomon isn't the type of faction to break alliances either. I guess I'll just bulk up and look for ways to get across the gulf.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 06, 2013, 05:08:18 PM
Yes, I am still struggling to find a good offensive/raiding army with Caelum. Their Tiny size is a big problem too.

Maybe you need to concentrate on summons or recruiting from conquered provinces.  Flying units are awesome at sieges so maybe use them in defense and bring them up when you have an enemy castle under siege?

parone

doesn't jomon have tons of summons?  i think even some winged ones...

i know yomi does.  and they are basically ea jomon(i think)

JasonPratt

Not only do we have a bunch of good summons (although they mostly require death magic which none of my mages naturally deal in), but the CBM adds some aquatic summons, too.

So aside from very cost-effective (if a bit expensive) basic troops, I have a good special summons list to work with.

Plus anyone who has been checking on the Hall of Honor will know that my "great sage" Kiryu kicks quite a bit of hiney himself. ;) I might try sending him over the gulf eventually...

Nefaro

Corwin looks to have been making progress on kicking out giant werewolf thugs.  Good thing for me that he didn't have more.