Main Menu

Easy Red

Started by Jarhead0331, March 09, 2018, 10:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

OK...I'm going to stop short of giving this an all-out recommendation to get, but I've been having a surprisingly fun time with it. It is only $3.99, afterall.

The weapons are surprisingly fun to use and I've been having a great time with some quick single player missions. There is a campaign where you can choose to play as the allies or germans. Some of the D-Day missions have you either parachuting in, or hitting the beach. You can choose your player class, which includes riflemen, assaulters, engineers, medics, machine gunners, etc. and the maps are pretty good in terms of elevated terrain, buildings and foliage. There is also a survival mode and a newly released level editor, which I have not tried yet.

Anyway, I was going to skip this altogether, but the surprisingly positive reviews caught me attention. You can get this and have fun for $3.99, or you can get the latest COD for $60 and be disappointed. its totally worth a look and I think there is a free demo too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/741670/Easy_Red/

Welcome to the Operation Overlord. Prepare to land on all five Normandy sectors: Omaha, Juno, Sword, Utah and Gold. Fight on the sand, by the forests, parachute on the fields and conquer the hills: Welcome to Easy Red.

In Easy Red you will fight on the most significant battles of the D-Day, from the sea landings to the capture of Caen. You will able to drive vehicles, use many weapons, command your squad as team leader or take cure of it as a medic, refill magazines from your inventory, parachute from the sky, and much more.

Buying Easy Red you will have access to all the future DLCs and updates.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Hard to argue with the price.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Rayfer

Single player FPS...?  Hard to tell from the Steam video.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on March 09, 2018, 10:48:02 AM
Single player FPS...?  Hard to tell from the Steam video.

Yes. SP with a rudimentary AI that will not win any awards, but is good enough to make the action fun.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Philippe

Why are the panzers grey? 

The base color for German vehicles was dunkel gelb from early '43 on (I think the order to change went out in November '42).  On top of that, everybody was issued three different colored cans of oil-based paste for summer camo (which usually got mixed with diesel fuel) and one can of white water-based paint for winter camo (water-based so you could wash it off in the spring).

Camo patterns were left up to the individual platoons.  I used to have a wonderful photo of an east front stug that had obviously been painted by someone who went to art school.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Philippe on March 09, 2018, 11:42:15 AM
Why are the panzers grey? 

The base color for German vehicles was dunkel gelb from early '43 on (I think the order to change went out in November '42).  On top of that, everybody was issued three different colored cans of oil-based paste for summer camo (which usually got mixed with diesel fuel) and one can of white water-based paint for winter camo (water-based so you could wash it off in the spring).

Camo patterns were left up to the individual platoons.  I used to have a wonderful photo of an east front stug that had obviously been painted by someone who went to art school.

Reproduction of models in accurate camo patterns was not within the $3.99 budget. That was part of the $5.99 stretch goal that they never reached.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

And sneaking in under the buzzer, the winner of this week's dryest sarcasm is...!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Sounds like a "historical Ravenfield" as one of the reviews say.  Can't go wrong with the fun factor if that's the case.

sandman2575

Among main features listed (a bit vaguely) is "the controller support" -- does this mean Xbox / console pad controller support? Can't find any mentions in the Steam forum.

EDIT - nevermind, the latest patch notes says it does feature Xbox controller support. May have to pick this up then...

Jarhead0331

Easy Red 2 is out. It looks like an improvement over the original in every way. The original was simple, but really fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324780/Easy_Red_2/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

demjansk1942

Can you edit the key bindings?

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Digging the ideas behind this game quite a lot.  Reminds me a bit of Enlisted in how it's Battlefield Lite where you can switch into your teammates when you die.  The inventory system is quite a bit more detailed and RPG like, you can loot guys and take their weapons, ammo, bandages, and food a la Arma, though the menu for doing this is rather janky.  I also like the neat touch where you see your soldier's name and date of birth and death after you get wasted.

Can't complain for the budget price, though the execution leaves a bit to be desired - the game is rough overall and the gunplay and controls could be better, but it's just good enough to be satisfying and immersive and keep me going if I don't expect too much from it.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Thomm

Bought and installed.

Feels like typical ArmA gameplay: Run around for half a minute only to be gunned down by an unseen enemy. Not really my definition of fun.

This just reminds me why I like Brass Brigade so much. You are thrown right into the action and you actually see stuff.

Other than that, everything seems to work decently. No regrets here.

Best regards
Thomm

Rayfer

Quote from: Thomm on January 22, 2022, 08:58:10 AM
Bought and installed.

Feels like typical ArmA gameplay: Run around for half a minute only to be gunned down by an unseen enemy. Not really my definition of fun.

This just reminds me why I like Brass Brigade so much. You are thrown right into the action and you actually see stuff.

Other than that, everything seems to work decently. No regrets here.

Best regards
Thomm

Interesting....that is exactly why I gave up these realistic military first person shooters like ArmA. Maybe it's my old man eyes but I would constantly get mowed down by some distant unseen enemy.