Main Menu

Joker

Started by acctingman, August 29, 2019, 08:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocketman

I don't think I have been this excited by a movie in a long time  :D
Hope Pheonix is  :uglystupid2: - good in it.

Sir Slash

I'm still kind of unimpressed. Phoenix was scarier when he was younger but now he just seems tired to me. Not expecting a lot here.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

He was awesome as Emperor Commodus.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

rocketman

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 29, 2019, 09:42:56 AM
I'm still kind of unimpressed. Phoenix was scarier when he was younger but now he just seems tired to me. Not expecting a lot here.
Interesting that you think so. Because my impression is that his take on the Joker is of a man who has lost his footing in life and slowly descends into mental health problems. His villain will be more of the passive menacing madness kind rather than the over the top bat sh*t craze madman à la Jared Leto in Suicide Squad. Granted Heath Ledger's Joker is a performance of a lifetime that is hard to beat, but I suspect Phoenix will do the same albeit in a different vein.

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

^I got that joke...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Everybody knows Joker is crazy. But he also is EVIL. I don't doubt Phoenix can do crazy, but can he do evil? Not so sure.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I really don't get the impression he's going for evil. More of a sad anti-hero raging (or scrabbling vainly) against the power of property owners or something like that.

...to be fair, I gave up watching trailers for it after the first couple, so I may be misunderstanding the gist. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Some early reviews are going up, after the Venice screening; Grace Randolph reviews the reviews, sort of!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

Also an actual review. (Most videos out right now are reviews of the reviews, so to speak. ;) )

JasonPratt

IGN review (much shorter than prior ones).

W8taminute

I saw Joker last night and all I have to say is wow, just wow. 

The story is masterfully told and is believable without the typical Hollywood silliness.  I walked away confused, not at the story but more for how I should feel about the Joker.  Is he to be pitied for his tough life or is he to be hated for his crimes. 

Really good movie. Phoenix's performance is stellar.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

WOW! Good to hear. I'll add that to my, 'must see' list.