UK Leaving the EU?

Started by BanzaiCat, June 22, 2016, 07:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: mirth on June 24, 2016, 07:25:32 AM
Quote from: Boggit on June 24, 2016, 12:51:41 AM
Funny how history repeats itself. For me it is our Yorktown moment, something perhaps an American will well understand?

Most Americans wouldn't know what you meant.
Be grateful that at least you had an education! ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Anguille

Quote from: Boggit on June 24, 2016, 07:49:03 AM
Quote from: Anguille on June 24, 2016, 04:33:26 AM
This is going to be funny....very funny....

Good luck guys....you'll need it  :2funny:
It's your choice. But don't mock us when you haven't the courage... at least not yet, to fight for your right to have your laws made by the people you elect and can get rid of the same way.

We're not part of it....

Sorry to say but it has nothing to do with courage...

And about 17 million people didn't want to leave, yet you speak in their name...

OJsDad

Quote from: Anguille on June 24, 2016, 08:43:38 AM

It's your choice. But don't mock us when you haven't the courage... at least not yet, to fight for your right to have your laws made by the people you elect and can get rid of the same way.

We're not part of it....

And about 17 million people didn't want to leave, yet you speak in their name...

That's what happens when you allow people to vote.  Amazing, when a vote doesn't go someone way, they already the sudden don't like it very well.  But when the vote goes their way, it's the best thing in the world and losers need to sit there and shut up.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

That pesky democracy, always biting someone in the ass.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Anguille

Quote from: OJsDad on June 24, 2016, 08:45:58 AM

A majority has voted and it has to be respected and the Brexit will take place. The opinions and the fears of the losers also have to be respected. This is what the experience of people living in a real democracy have learned.

We're not part of it....

That's what happens when you allow people to vote.  Amazing, when a vote doesn't go someone way, they already the sudden don't like it very well.  But when the vote goes their way, it's the best thing in the world and losers need to sit there and shut up.

The majority has voted and the Brexit will take place. The fears and the opinions of the losers also have to be respected. That's what you learn in a real democracy.

Anyway...i am serious when i wish good luck because it's going to be rough ride...

JudgeDredd

Whoa lads.

To be fair to Boggit I think he knew that he wasn't speaking for the people who did not want to leave. When he was referring to what people wanted and their courage etc, etc, I'm pretty sure he wasn't speaking for the entire UK but actually just the 17 million that did vote for it. Sorry if I'm jumping into your post and getting my interpretation of your post wrong.

Rightly or wrongly, good or bad, it was a proportional representation referendum where every persons vote is worth the same as another persons and 52% of the populace that voted choose to take us out the EU.

I've heard people say "There should've been a minimum win proportion" - but I don't buy it. The majority vote went with Brexit and, like it or lump it, that's what's happening.

Anguille - I think by your post it was a bit flippant and so he defended his vote and the direction he's choose to take his country. I also think he assumed you were a member of an EU member state. Personally I don't know where you come from and you are entirely entitled to your opinion about the result and how it may affect the UK, the EU and whichever country you come from...but it was done rather flippantly on the back of what must be (for him) a euphoric moment.

The discussion around this up to this point has been exemplary and very polite - can we keep it that way?

Thank you all

By the way, I voted remain as did my wife and child. My wife cried this morning and my daughter text me one word (I was at work when she awoke from the dead)...it simply said "Shit". My wife, as I am and my daughters hugely proud to be British and European. My wife and kids are as proud to be English as I am to be Scottish

What's done is done.  O0

Alba gu' brath

OJsDad

JD, do you think many of Brits will chose to leave England to live in the EU before all is said and done/ 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Anguille

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 24, 2016, 08:58:36 AM
Whoa lads.

To be fair to Boggit I think he knew that he wasn't speaking for the people who did not want to leave. When he was referring to what people wanted and their courage etc, etc, I'm pretty sure he wasn't speaking for the entire UK but actually just the 17 million that did vote for it. Sorry if I'm jumping into your post and getting my interpretation of your post wrong.

Rightly or wrongly, good or bad, it was a proportional representation referendum where every persons vote is worth the same as another persons and 52% of the populace that voted choose to take us out the EU.

I've heard people say "There should've been a minimum win proportion" - but I don't buy it. The majority vote went with Brexit and, like it or lump it, that's what's happening.

Anguille - I think by your post it was a bit flippant and so he defended his vote and the direction he's choose to take his country. I also think he assumed you were a member of an EU member state. Personally I don't know where you come from and you are entirely entitled to your opinion about the result and how it may affect the UK, the EU and whichever country you come from...but it was done rather flippantly on the back of what must be (for him) a euphoric moment.

The discussion around this up to this point has been exemplary and very polite - can we keep it that way?

Thank you all

By the way, I voted remain as did my wife and child. My wife cried this morning and my daughter text me one word (I was at work when she awoke from the dead)...it simply said "Shit". My wife, as I am and my daughters hugely proud to be British and European. My wife and kids are as proud to be English as I am to be Scottish

What's done is done.  O0

Good post.  O0

And i also do agree....50% or more makes a decision...

BanzaiCat

I've also heard, and saw in the other/first Brexit thread, that Scotland is going to do another 'leave the UK' vote. I wasn't sure if I heard right, but also heard something about Belfast doing the same thing.

Anguille

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 24, 2016, 09:09:58 AM
I've also heard, and saw in the other/first Brexit thread, that Scotland is going to do another 'leave the UK' vote. I wasn't sure if I heard right, but also heard something about Belfast doing the same thing.
Yeah...it seems very likely as they got about 62% of votes to stay in the EU.

OJsDad

Why did both Scotland and N. Ireland voted to stay in the EU. 

Anguille

Boggit

We're not part of it....

Get it right. Around 16.2 million voted to remain. 1.2 million more voted to leave on 72.5% turnout. 52% of the vote.

And yes, when you do a balance of the risks, it does require moral courage to do what you see is right.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JudgeDredd

Quote from: OJsDad on June 24, 2016, 09:02:28 AM
JD, do you think many of Brits will chose to leave England to live in the EU before all is said and done/
No - I don't...I think 17m Brits are extremely happy how this turned out and I hope it means what they hope to get from it.

I just hope it's not a signal to the far right
Alba gu' brath

Anguille

Quote from: Boggit on June 24, 2016, 09:27:50 AM
And yes, when you do a balance of the risks, it does require moral courage to do what you see is right.

I believe that you did this because you seem to have studied the question deeply. I don't think however that most people vote like that (any side).