What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelmsm

Just finished "A Time for Trumpets" and have now started Bernard Cornwell's book "Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies"

Barthheart

Just finished Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. Audio book. Read by him.

Good overview for anyone interested the subject.

https://www.amazon.ca/Astrophysics-People-Hurry-deGrasse-Tyson/dp/0393609391

(Borrowed from online library)

WallysWorld

Finished reading the second novel "Post Captain" in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. A good book, but sometimes a grind to get through the non-naval parts of the book. Will move onto "H.M.S. Surprise" at some point.

I put it down for a long time, but I'm starting back on "The Renaissance at War (Smithsonian History of Warfare)" by Thomas Arnold. Excellent book on weaponry and tactics from the period. Goes into great detail about formations, the early guns replacing the crossbow and longbow and so on.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

^ The Smithsonian series is excellent. The Renaissance title is one of my favorites.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just started 'Alice in Chains - The Untold Story' by David De Sola.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Re-reading "Dune". I lost my paperback versions in a move and it's been awhile.

I will read the "quadrilogy" but that's usually enough Dune for me...

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

WallysWorld

Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 27, 2018, 09:33:29 PM
I wouldn't mind reading "Dune". I like the Lynch movie so I wonder how the book compares to the film.

Finished "The Renaissance at War (Smithsonian History of Warfare)" which I really enjoyed. Started reading "The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London" by Judith Flanders which goes into good detail about how the city was back in Dickens' day. London had a population of just over a million around 1820 and the author writes up to 750,000 walked to work every day and how the streets were very noisy. Just finished the part about how gas lights replaced oil lights.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

The Victorian City sounds like an awesome book.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: WallysWorld on June 27, 2018, 10:14:17 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 27, 2018, 09:33:29 PM
I wouldn't mind reading "Dune". I like the Lynch movie so I wonder how the book compares to the film.

There was the Lynch movie and a mini-series produced based on the books. Much like the "Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" movies there was an outcry from the hardcore fans about missing commas, mis-crossed "T"s and such. I thought the mini-series was a bit closer to the book than the movie.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

airboy

I've read the Victorian city and enjoyed it.

I finished Monster hunter memoirs Saints.  It was one of the best books in the entire series.

trailrunner

I just finished this book:

And now I've started this book:

Staggerwing

You'll have to let us know how Instruments of Darkness is. IIRC, SDR  mentioned it a while back and I've been waiting for a Kindle version to come out.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  It's a very interesting book.  Makes me want to bust out Bomber Command from GMT whenever I glance at it on my shelf.  I highly recommend reading The Other Battle: Luftwaffe Night Aces vs. Bomber Command by Peter Hinchcliffe as well as Price's Instruments of Darkness.  Hinchcliffe's book does a great job of detailing how each new development in EW affected the tactics used by both sides in the night bombing campaign and the first-hand accounts are fascinating.

https://www.amazon.ca/Other-Battle-Luftwaffe-Versus-Command/dp/0785814183/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531024031&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=the+other+battle+hinchcliffe

Staggerwing

Which do you recommend If I were to only get one right now?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys