"Neoprene Mat" for Hornet Leader??

Started by stolypin, October 22, 2018, 04:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stolypin

Okay, I'll admit that I'm more of a computer wargamer and thus am not well-versed regarding boardgame components.  But I see that Noble Knight is selling a "Neoprene Mat" for the game Hornet Leader (which I own).  It's $21.95.  So I'm assuming this is a big rubber mat that replaces the mounted map that comes with the game?

I've got to have this, right?   (Got to get my story down for when I unbox this in front of my wife).  :D

Nefaro

Quote from: stolypin on October 22, 2018, 04:30:21 PM
Okay, I'll admit that I'm more of a computer wargamer and thus am not well-versed regarding boardgame components.  But I see that Noble Knight is selling a "Neoprene Mat" for the game Hornet Leader (which I own).  It's $21.95.  So I'm assuming this is a big rubber mat that replaces the mounted map that comes with the game?

I've got to have this, right?   (Got to get my story down for when I unbox this in front of my wife).  :D

Yes.  Neoprene game mats are basically big cloth & rubber mouse pads with purpose-specific graphics or art on them.

I have a few huge generic black or "space" themed ones for playing board games on.  It's much easier to pick up cards off of them;  you don't have to scratch at them to get them off the table.  Another side effect is that the dice rolling is quieter and they tend not to bounce across the table as far so fewer flying on the floor.  Although I also tend to use dice trays for that still.

I've had a couple 3ft x 3ft black game mats for years.  Also picked up a 4ft x 6ft one more recently, to fit my whole table.  Love 'em.  Also have a green/brown one with a hex grid overlay on my wishlist for awhile, but haven't needed it yet since I'd only pick it up for something like Check Your Six! minis games which I haven't yet done.

I've never picked up any game-specific mats.  While they're nice because they tend to have spots allocated for game piece placement, I can just use my much larger ones which cover the whole table and work for every game.  A matter of $$ efficiency to me, I suppose.