Previous topic - Next topic

Hatricvs

14.00 Hours

Additional Orders 11th October 1806

Sender : Brunswick
Time Sent: 14.00 11th October 1806
Recipient: Wurtemburg
Time Received:
Unit Marching: Messenger to relay orders to Wurtemburg.
Order of March:

Route of March:
Time to spend Marching: until Wurtemburg receives order.
Expected Objective: Wurtemburg's division to march from Magdebourg to Halle Break March where appropriate with perhaps an overnight stay at the small unnamed village at the crossing of the River Saale about half way along the road to Halle from Madgebourg. Once Halle reached await further orders unless ordered otherwise by myself.
Rules of Engagement: Do not engage.

Brunswick

Hatricvs

14.00 Hrs:

Recipient: Ruchel
Time Received:
Unit Marching: Messenger to relay orders to Ruchel.
Order of March:
Route of March:
Time to spend Marching: until Ruchel receives order and then return with message from Ruchel as directed.

Expected Objective:
Locate Ruchel. Pass on order for Ruchel and his Corps to concentrate in the area of Erfurt with a view to withdrawal along the road to Tennstadt, Weissensee and eventually Eisleben. Inform Ruchel that Brunswick and his three corps are currently at Naumbourg and wishes Ruchel to close the gap between our forces at earliest opportunity. No French activity has been noted in our vicinity to date but expectation that a fight in the area around Naumbourg or Leipzig a possibility.

It is imperative that our forces are close enough to be able to offer assistance if the French are encountered, so closing the gap between our forces is essential. However, it is also essential that your withdrawal protects our line of communication to Magdebourg.

Please respond directly via this messenger to inform present location of your force and how long before you will be able to establish your force at Erfurt? Is it possible for you to disengage or limit the extent of your engagement with the French. Any indication of whom you are in close proximity with? And what strength the opponent is in?

Rules of Engagement: Do not engage or if needed, limit the engagement where practicable. Ensure that I am fully informed of any change in your status and line of withdrawal if required.

Brunswick

Hatricvs

14.00 Hrs:

Recipient: Hohenlohe
Time Received:
Unit Marching: Messenger to relay orders to Hohenlohe
Order of March:
Route of March:
Time to spend Marching: until Hohenlohe receives order and then return with message from Hohenlohe as directed.

Expected Objective:
Locate Hohenlohe. Pass on order for Hohenlohe and his Corps to concentrate in the area of Gera or if already compromised, Zein adjacent to the river Klster crossing . Inform Hohenlohe that Brunswick and his three corps are currently at Naumbourg and wishes Hohenlohe to close the gap between our forces at earliest opportunity. No French activity has been noted in our vicinity to date but expectation that a fight in the area around Naumbourg or Leipzig a possibility.

It is imperative that our forces are close enough to be able to offer assistance if the French are encountered, so closing the gap between our forces is essential. Please respond directly via this messenger to inform present location of your force and how long before you will be able to establish your force at Gera?

Rules of Engagement: Do not engage if at all possible.

Brunswick

Hatricvs

14.00 Hrs

Recipient: Blucher
Time Received:
Unit Marching: Messenger to relay orders to Blucher.
Order of March:

Route of March:
Time to spend Marching: until Blucher receives order and then return with message from Blucher as directed.

Expected Objective:
Locate Blucher. Pass on order for Blucher and his Corps to concentrate in the area of Auerstadt. Inform Blucher that Brunswick and his three corps are currently at Naumbourg and wishes Blucher to close the gap between our forces at earliest opportunity. No French activity has been noted in our vicinity to date but expectation that a fight in the area around Naumbourg or Leipzig a possibility.

It is imperative that our forces are close enough to be able to offer assistance if the French are encountered, so closing the gap between our forces is essential. Please respond directly via this messenger to inform present location of your force and how long before you will be able to establish your force at Auerstadt?

Rules of Engagement: Do not engage.

Brunswick

Hatricvs

14.00 Hrs:

Recipient: Umpire
Time Received:
Unit Marching:
Order of March:
Route of March:
Time to spend Marching: none just resting up and prepping for the morrow!

Expected Objective: Rest up and receive Intel. Brunswick and his three divisions will remain encamped at Naumbourg for the time being to rest up after two days worth of marching about. This will hopefully also allow for any messengers to catch up with us and impart any intelligence so far gleaned by the other commands

Rules of Engagement:

Brunswick

Note: There followed a characteristic Brunswickian lull where I hoped information would start to arrive because I was totally in the dark as to what was happening and where. I realised that I was lengthening my lines all the time and thus making communication with me difficult. And consequently I was blind to what was unfolding on the battlefield.

Hatricvs

22.00 Hrs:

Sent: 13.00 Hrs
Received: 22.00 Hrs

To: Brunswick

Sir! We have enemy cavalry sighted south of Ohrdruf around 1200 hrs Oct 11. At least division strength. Advanced Guard at Ohrdruf. Will attempt to delay. Sending Weimar Division to reinforce.
Awaiting further orders.

Note: first indication that the French were already at us and that Ruchel had not yet started to withdraw northward.

Hatricvs

23.00 Hrs:

Sent: 10.00 Hrs
Received: 2300 Hrs

As of 9:00 AM, my farthest left flank force under Flanc Taunzien has made contact with French forces advancing on Hof. Their total force size is unknown. I have marched both the 2nd Division and the Artillery Division to Hof to assess the situation and delay the French from moving up the Plauen - Zwickau - Altenburg road and outflanking us. I do not intend to engage in a fixed battle but will attempt to delay their advance, determine the force size and then withdraw northeast towards Plauen, Zwickau and then on to Altenburg. 1st Division, 3rd Division and AG Louis are enroute to Altenburg as ordered.

Note: First indication that both flanks were being probed by the French and that the possibilities of orderly withdrawal were under difficulties.

Hatricvs

06.00 Hrs October 12th 1806

Orders 12th October 1806

To: Blucher

Time Sent: 0600 Hrs 12th October 1806
Recipient: Blucher
Time Received:
Unit Marching: 
Order of March:
Dispatch:
I am moving my headquarters to an unnamed small town at the River Saale crossing on the Mersebourg to Zeith road, North East of Naumbourg. I hope to be in a position to be able to link up with Hohenlohe's forces to protect Leipzig from The French.

I need you to extricate your forces for your current location and link up with my forces. I have heard nothing from you as to what you are doing or where you are located. I need Intel about where you are immediately. Your lack of information is putting our forces and venture in to jeopardy. I need regular Intel from you to ensure we can jointly enact a cohesive response to any French advance.

I want you and your forces to locate themselves at Naumbourg where they will be able to link up with the remainder of the army. If you are unable to do this then, as a matter of urgency, inform me of why and where you are otherwise I will expect you at Naumbourg in around two days from now. Make it happen!

Route of March: depends upon your current location but suggest Weimar- Apolda-Auerstadt along the road and encamp there. Next day Auerstadt-Naumbourg.

Time to spend Marching: Until you reach Auerstadt on first day and then Naumbourg on second day or further orders received that countermand the above.

Expected Objective: Wo it's Blucher? Find him!

Rules of Engagement: Use discretion but be advised there is no support available to you in your current location.

Brunswick

Note: even at this early point in the campaign my lack of knowledge about where Blucher was and what he was doing was playing on my mind. I was desperate to know that he had withdrawn from the Weimar area and was moving toward the bulk of the Prussian army but I had no information as to his whereabouts. I was becoming more and more concerned that a huge gap was opening up between Ruchel, Blucher and me and Hohenlohe.

Hatricvs

06.00 Hrs:

Orders 12th October 1806

To: Ruchel

Recipient: Ruchel
Time Received:
Unit Marching: 
Order of March:
Dispatch:
I am moving my headquarters to an unnamed small town at the River Saale crossing on the Mersebourg to Zeith road, North East of Naumbourg. I hope to be in a position to be able to link up with Hohenlohe's forces to protect Leipzig from The French.

I need you to extricate your forces for your current location and withdraw from your advance positions and move to a more central or north easterly location. Suggest that you gather your force at Erfurt and then withdraw up the road towards Eisleben in stages. This is a long march but will eventually put you in a position to either defend our lines of communication with Madgebourg and/or assist with the defence of Halle or Leipzig depending on the French line of advance. This is likely to be a two day March so break your March where appropriate.

Also do you have knowledge of where Blucher is as we have received no knowledge as to his current location. Last known location Weimer on 10th October! Keep me informed of your progress towards Eisleben and please be careful about recording such details just in case enemy eyes capture your missives!

Route of March: as stated above.
Time to spend Marching: Until objective reached and/ or further orders received that countermand the above.
Expected Objective:
Rules of Engagement: Use discretion but be advised there is no support available to you in your current location.

Brunswick

Hatricvs

06.00Hrs:

Orders 12th October 1806

To: Umpire

Recipient: Umpire
Time Received:
Unit Marching:  1st Reserve, 1st Division and 2nd Division.
Order of March:

I will be located with Warten's 2nd Division.

1st Reserve Kuhneim leave Naumbourg  at 7 am. March to unnamed small town at the River Saale crossing on the Mersebourg to Zeith road, North East of current location. March along road and deploy at that location until further orders received.

Calvary element of 1st Reserve Kuhneim advance/scout further afield from this location (small town on Saale) toward Zeith to attempt to locate enemy units or friendly forces in vicinity. Report back via courier regularly as to progress made.

1st Division Orange  leave Naumbourg  at 8am. March to unnamed small town at the River Saale crossing on the Mersebourg to Zeith road, North East of current location. March along road and deploy at that location until further orders received.

2nd Division Warten's  leave Naumbourg  at 9 am March to unnamed small town at the River Saale crossing on the Mersebourg to Zeith road, North East of current location. March along road and deploy at that location until further orders received.

Route of March: as stated above.
Time to spend Marching: Until objective reached and/ or further orders received that countermand the above.

Brunswick

Hatricvs

08.00 Hrs:

Sent: 19.00 Hrs , 11th October
Received: 08.00 Hrs 12th October

As of 19:00 PM, French forces are massing in the vicinity of Hof. Their force includes at least Soult's IV Corps, unknown if others. I am marching Flanc Taunzien, 2nd Division and the Artillery Division from Hof northeast towards Plauen, Zwickau and then on to Altenburg. 1st Division, 3rd Division and AG Louis are enroute to Altenburg (through Gera).

Hatricvs

13.00 Hrs:

Sent: 12.00 Hrs  12th October
Received: 13.00 Hrs 12th October

My Lord of Brunswick,
Beg your patience to report we have arrived at the unnamed town on the Saal as directed.  I have deployed my cavalry to the South towards Zeith.  All other units are in order and there is no enemy in evidence.
I Salute You!

Kunheim

Hatricvs

14.00 Hrs:

Sent: 05.00, October 12th
Received: 14.00 Hrs

To Brunswick

Sir! As of last evening of Oct. 11 we still had no engagement with the enemy spotted to our south. Full identity of enemy forces unknown and initial strength estimates of a division of cavalry still best guess.
Currently my Advanced Guard and Wiemar divisions are at Ohrdruf blocking the way to Gotha. I am located at Gotha with my Saxe division.

I shall order moves, in succession, of Saxe to Erfurt and Weimar to Gotha. When Weimar reaches Gotha they shall continue on to Erfurt to join me and the Advanced Guard shall withdraw to Gotha.  Total movement should take all of this day Oct.12, 1806.

Awaiting further orders.

Hatricvs

18.00 Hrs:

Sent: 16.00 Hrs 12th October
Received: 18.00 Hrs

My Lord of Brunswick,
Beg leave to report that our cavalry piquets have gone as far South as the outskirts of Zeith.
No contact with the French to report.

Note: This was a relief as I was beginning to see bugbears here, there and everywhere and I was convinced that the French were moving very fast and ground was being lost and that the French were going to get between the varied components of the Prussian army.

Hatricvs

21.00 Hrs:

Sent:13.00 Hrs 12th October
Received: 21.00 Hrs

Sir! As of 1300 this day Oct. 12, my Advance Guard was withdrawing from French advance in the area of Gotha.

Current plan is to move all my troops to Erfurt. Here we shall await further orders.
Blucher is also located at Erfurt for the moment.

There is a chance that we could engage the enemy here at Erfurt or we could try to draw them towards Weimar.

Awaiting further orders.