The Gladiator game we have all been waiting for.........Maybe?

Started by bboyer66, March 22, 2017, 09:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on April 03, 2017, 10:20:19 AM

No game saving at all. (Really!)
Real time (no pausing) between constant battles.

The above are really significant issues that I would suspect are addressable.

However, I don't think its fair to knock the game because its a challenge, and has no tutorial. I really did not think a tutorial was necessary. Its a fairly simple game.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 03, 2017, 11:17:42 AM

However, I don't think its fair to knock the game because its a challenge, and has no tutorial. I really did not think a tutorial was necessary. Its a fairly simple game.

Yeah (though that is for veteran gamers).
However the save issue is apparently not going to be addressed.
The devs stated they designed the game around the idea of not being saved, and doing so now might prove problematic for them.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on April 03, 2017, 12:19:46 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 03, 2017, 11:17:42 AM

Yeah (though that is for veteran gamers).
However the save issue is apparently not going to be addressed.
The devs stated they designed the game around the idea of not being saved, and doing so now might prove problematic for them.

Wow. I'm surprised to hear that...too bad.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

glen55

So . . . when you say no saves at all, you're just talking about player-directed saves, right? I mean, the game must autosave, RIGHT? You don't have to get all the play you're ever going to get out of it at a single sitting, I presume. Or lose 50 hours of building your stable when it locks up.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Nefaro

Quote from: glen55 on April 03, 2017, 01:39:33 PM
So . . . when you say no saves at all, you're just talking about player-directed saves, right? I mean, the game must autosave, RIGHT? You don't have to get all the play you're ever going to get out of it at a single sitting, I presume. Or lose 50 hours of building your stable when it locks up.

I see reports that it doesn't even save when you quit the game.  Apparently you're supposed to play it in a single 3-5 hour sitting.

WTH were they thinking?

Wonder if it's missing a Pause feature during that time, too. 

fabius

Not this game related but

The thing that pushed me over the edge to buy Mordheim City of the Damned is that I looked at it and thought if I think of the city sections as arenas in essence it has most of what I want from a gladiator game.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on April 03, 2017, 03:45:22 PM
Boy, that is a rookie mistake.   :o

A dev reply I saw made it clear that their vision did not include game saves at all. 

:idiot2:

Unfortunate.  I probably would've picked this up before long.

JasonPratt

I understand the point to no-saves in the game design, but they maaaaybbeeee should have made that a lot clearer as part of the marketing: well, you WANTED a roguelike gladiator game, right? We told you that's what this was, kind of like Deadnauts, and you bought it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2017, 11:27:25 AM
I understand the point to no-saves in the game design, but they maaaaybbeeee should have made that a lot clearer as part of the marketing: well, you WANTED a roguelike gladiator game, right? We told you that's what this was, kind of like Deadnauts, and you bought it.

There are plenty classic-style Roguelikes that have Save & Exit features, for continuing on at a later time without being able to "save scum".

Actually, the majority of them have this feature. 

I actually enjoy single death roguelikes such as these.  When I can play short stretches and return to pick up where I left off.

Unfortunately the Domina developers didn't want to implement such a thing, and have stated so.  Either due to some strict game design 'vision', or just paranoia that someone would take the time to hack the game in order to save scum cheat.  Both reasons seem rather excessive for a consumer product.  Unfortunate.  :-\

Tpek

They've been constantly patching the game since release addressing their number 1 priority:
Twitch-Bot.

Really.  ::)

Nefaro

The devs reportedly added Saves to Domina.

O0

The customer pressure must've been massive.   :clap:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on May 20, 2017, 02:06:07 PM
The devs reportedly added Saves to Domina.

O0

The customer pressure must've been massive.   :clap:

They did... a long time ago. It's a fun little time waster.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog