Wars Across the World - Kick Starter

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 24, 2015, 05:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

What a coincidence, the WaW team is also French.  :P

ArizonaTank

Quote from: bbmike on May 05, 2017, 03:57:55 PM
I'm hoping the editor will make this game a lot more attractive. It should be out soon and the developer indicated that there would be a manual for it as well. If you have any specific questions about it let me know and I'll try to answer.

I am sitting on the sidelines waiting to see how powerful the editor is.  I could easily see myself taking the plunge if the editor is comprehensive.  If it turns out to be a half measure...ie. you can edit units but not the map or cards, then I probably will forget about jumping in and never look back.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Did anyone ever get this? I'm still not thrilled with the pricing model for DLC and scenarios, but some of the scenarios do look rather creative and fun and they span the ancient world through all the ages and even some alternate history/fantasy scenarios too.

Anybody?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2018, 08:58:26 AM
Did anyone ever get this? I'm still not thrilled with the pricing model for DLC and scenarios, but some of the scenarios do look rather creative and fun and they span the ancient world through all the ages and even some alternate history/fantasy scenarios too.

Anybody?

I just bought it - will let you know
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

bbmike

It's been a while but I remember the UI being really odd. There are several phases and (for me anyway) it was difficult to tell what to do in each one. It might have improved, though, as the developer seems to be constantly updating it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MC

Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 20, 2018, 04:35:56 PM

Anybody?

It is a whole $2.00 off on Steam this weekend. It made the sale page and reminded me that it is still out there waiting to be added to my backlog. Any updates on play?

Zulu1966

Quote from: MC on August 02, 2018, 03:03:44 PM

Anybody?

It is a whole $2.00 off on Steam this weekend. It made the sale page and reminded me that it is still out there waiting to be added to my backlog. Any updates on play?

Work has been a bitch so not had much chance to have a look. I will try this weekend. What I did see was that it is definitely light stuff but the engine seems capable of making it a little more interesting.

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: MC on August 02, 2018, 03:03:44 PM

Anybody?

The price of the base game is the easiest part, its the $76 worth of DLC that gets you:)

Philippe

I took the plunge at got the base game and the 2017 season.

I'm still wrestling with the system, but so far I like it.

It's a French wargame that has been translated into English.  The translation is good enough to lull you into the illusion that you can trust everything you read, but every now and then you encounter something that just isn't idiomatic.

In a game like Sea Dogs (translated from the Russian into abysmal English) it doesn't matter so much.  But in a wargame that is one step away from being a board game, you really need to understand exactly what is going on.  I'm not completely there yet, and I've had to consult the French version a few times to figure out what a particular rule is talking about.

There's a two-turn tutorial that can lead to a lot of frustration and confusion.  Once I relaxed and realized that the game just wasn't going to follow the expected UI conventions (whatever that means) things progressed a lot more smoothly.  Thinking back on it, most of the problems I encountered can be chalked up to the port from board to computer.  There have been a few frustrating moments where I had to restart a few times because I didn't understand where I was in the turn sequence.  I've also learned (painfully) not to touch anything until I know exactly where I am, what I'm doing, and why I'm trying to do it.

As I've said, most of my problems with the game so far seem to flow out of the computer execution of the game system.  The game system itself is another story.  I was initially skeptical about a one-fits-all design, but once I actually tried it I found that it works surprisingly well for area movement games.  In addition, the different games use different scales for time and space, and this makes the whole thing work surprisingly well.  The idea is that once you've mastered the basic system, you get to concentrate on the chess problem, which, because of the scale selection, is often surprisingly close to the big picture decisions that went on in real life.  The jury's still out on this, but I have yet to find the system annoying, and have caught myself rather liking how it handles things from time to time.  Bottom line, the game designer/developers have done a better job than the UI programers.

I haven't played the game enough to give chapter and verse on the AI, but from what I've seen so far it's very good.  There aren't usually very many pieces on the board at once, and this allows the AI logic to work with uncanny chess-like precision.  The AI opponent is as good at cutting you off and using attrition and isolation to destroy your army as the AI in Unity of Command.

This is a French wargame, and it has a French sense of style and graphics.  I have no complaints about what the game looks like (I do wish they'd use a different symbol for calling up the details on a stack of units), and a few times I've found myself standing up and cheering over how elegantly something was handled.  A game isn't about graphics, but bad graphics get in the way of the immersion.  This is a perennial problem with the Tiller games, but it isn't a problem here, as you can see from the screenshot that I've included:

And yes, having a scenario about the Russian subjugation of the Caucausus during the Napoleonic Wars is seriously cool.  I just picked up the 2017 season on sale, and I plan to do the same for the 2018 season early next year. 
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Gusington

I really like the scenarios they have created.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RommelFox

I know this topic hasn't been touched in awhile, but is anyone still playing this? 

Is it worth it?  They seem to have some interesting scenarios available.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Gusington

I bought a bunch of dlc but haven't touched it yet :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RommelFox

lol it's ok hoarding er... collecting is a good thing!

My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd