Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Quote from: Ian C on May 13, 2016, 03:57:58 PM
Anyone remember the 'demo' for HOI 3 they released? They released the full game by mistake. That was a hoot.

Really? That's hilarious. I don't remember it at all. Possibly because HoI3 was one of the last games I bought as a physical DVD -- hadn't yet drunk the Steam kool-aid.

Ian C

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 13, 2016, 05:19:17 PM
Quote from: Ian C on May 13, 2016, 03:57:58 PM
Anyone remember the 'demo' for HOI 3 they released? They released the full game by mistake. That was a hoot.

Really? That's hilarious. I don't remember it at all. Possibly because HoI3 was one of the last games I bought as a physical DVD -- hadn't yet drunk the Steam kool-aid.

As I recall, it was up and down within the day.

Rayfer

HoI3 worked well (after all the patches/DLC's) on continental battles like Europe and Russia. It never worked for me in the Pacific with its island hopping and naval battles. I hope they can fix this aspect of the war.

sandman2575

Preorder is up.  $39.99 , like Stellaris -- with higher tiers offering more goodies:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394360/

OJsDad

Preorder is available!!!

Three editions priced at $39.99, $49.99, and $69.99!!!
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Beat by Sandman.

Paradox's pre order site is down do to traffic.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

sandman2575

Quote from: OJsDad on May 17, 2016, 11:20:41 AM
Beat by Sandman.

Have I mentioned how excited I am for this game?   ;)

OJsDad

If you get the high level edition, Field Marshall, this is included. 

QuoteExpansion Pass #1:
Includes the first 2 expansion and it's related content, to an estimated value of $49.99.

bboyer66

Heard that Pacific Theater AI will be available as a DLC  >:D

sandman2575

Dan Lind (head dev) indicated early on that they were aware of the major shortcomings in how HoI3 handled the Pacific war, and amphibious warfare in general. Remains to be seen if HoI4 can pull off something that reasonably resembles the Pacific war -- something no HoI game has yet accomplished. I have hope that HoI4 will at least be an improvement over what we've gotten in the past. We'll see.

Huw the Poo

It was always my intention to buy HoI4 straight away, but it's too close to the release of Stellaris.  I wouldn't play it for ages, so I may as well wait for the first round of patches.

Eagerly awaiting impressions though!

steve58

Seen on the Steam HOI4 forums:

Get 25% off on GMG

Use voucher code: IRON25

Works on all editions, for how many copies you want!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/394360/discussions/0/364041776199233711/

Not tried it since I'm going to wait on this one...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

acctingman

Waiting here too.

Too many times buying a new game, only to have it a buggy POS.

I've never played any of the HoI series, so this will be a huge leap for me.

I've read that for a HoI newbie it's best to start off playing the game as a smaller nation.

sandman2575

Quote from: acctingman on May 17, 2016, 01:46:07 PM
I've read that for a HoI newbie it's best to start off playing the game as a smaller nation.

I don't agree with this at all. Play a major nation. That's how to learn the game. A nation that is certain to have a key role in the war. I've never understood the attraction of playing as, say, Ireland or something. (I have nothing against Ireland, mind you. But safe to say it did not play any decisive role in WW2...)

Maybe avoid a major that has huge commitments in both land and sea warfare.  Frankly, Germany is a good nation to start with.

IronX

Quote from: acctingman on May 17, 2016, 01:46:07 PM
Waiting here too.

Too many times buying a new game, only to have it a buggy POS.

I've never played any of the HoI series, so this will be a huge leap for me.

They also have smaller set-piece scenarios like the Bulge or North Africa, which are good to get a feel for the combat side of the game.