What Mobile wargames are you guys playing?

Started by Ubercat, April 18, 2014, 09:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

I have Great Big Wargame and Drive on Moscow. I'm not in love with DoM due to the absolute limit of 3 units vs. 3 units fighting. You can completely surround some Russians but your greater numbers don't have any bearing that I can see. If the bagged units are cavalry, they can hold out indefinitely and cost the Germans a lot of blood. GBW is OK, but I'd like more serious (*realistic*) wargames.

I already have Panzer Korps on my PC or that would be an option. What else is out there and what's coming up that Grogheads would like?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Rogo727

Commander the Great War and world at war by mr. g

Ubercat

Is WaW released? It looks like it's still in beta from what I can tell.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Capn Darwin

I'm going to go smart-a$$ as say "there are mobile wargames?". I have DoM and it is an okay chess like game, but it feels at times like parts of my army are there for show since they may not ever move. I've read of some other games in the works and heard whispers of others, but there hasn't been a single game to grab my attention away from a PC Wargame yet. I think part of it you can just do more easier on a PC system. Hopefully that changes more over the next couple years. Would be nice to play a deep wargame on my ipad now and again.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Staggerwing

Don't forget that John Tiller's games are being ported over to iPad/Android in notable numbers. They may not be everyone's cup of meat but they do have depth.

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Apps.html
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

I have:

Ace Patrol and Pacific Skies both are fun TBS flying games.
Battle of the Bulge and Drive on Moscow, both are fun when playing against another human.
Phantom Leader, just like the solo board game.
Battle Acadamy, can play cross platform vs humans.
Pacific Fleet, fun naval game.
War of the Zombie, fun squad building game like XCOM but with zombies.
Zulus on the Ramparts, another solo boardgame convert.
Combat Mission Touch, not my favorite but it's pretty good.

There's lots out there if ya dig a little.

Ubercat

I tried the free sample John Tiller PzC east front game and the iPad lacks sufficient RAM for the program to show possible moves and hex visibility for different units. The games just aren't practical when you have to move your units and GUESS where they can go and what areas they'll see when they get there. DoM has some glaring deficiencies as mentioned.

Commander: tGW is intriguing and I'll be checking it out. Also, thanks for all those game mentions, BH. I'll definitely be looking into them.

- Thomas Sowell

James Sterrett

Small General is a go-to lunchtime game for me.