Readers Choice 2016 Voting Now Open

Started by bayonetbrant, January 18, 2017, 08:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Voting is now open for Game-Year 2016

http://grogheads.com/?p=13672

Note that you will need a Google acc't to vote this time around, since we're using Google Forms for the survey.
Being extorted by SurveyMonkey last year was a pretty painful experience for us.

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bobarossa

Why did I have to select a Tabletop Game of the Year in order to submit my selections when I never play tabletop games or know anything about them?  I had to select one at random and that could screw up the winner for people who actually play tabletop games.  Especially if there are a lot more computer gamers than tabletop gamers or vice versa.

edit: I'd suggest a "none of the above" or "I don't play these" selection so as to avoid this in the future (unless there already was one and I didn't see it).

mirth

Wait a second, you mean we're supposed to have played the games we voted for?! I went for the cool sounding names.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

I left it blank - the only forced answer was overall table top of the year which I guessed - but the results will get skewed I think

bbmike

For categories where I hadn't played I just pick what I wanted to play most. Or I did what mirth did.  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bobarossa on January 18, 2017, 06:09:00 PM
Why did I have to select a Tabletop Game of the Year in order to submit my selections when I never play tabletop games or know anything about them?  I had to select one at random and that could screw up the winner for people who actually play tabletop games.  Especially if there are a lot more computer gamers than tabletop gamers or vice versa.

edit: I'd suggest a "none of the above" or "I don't play these" selection so as to avoid this in the future (unless there already was one and I didn't see it).

We could go for an "I don't play these" in the future.  I don't know if I can edit the poll now though, since it's already live.

Thanks for the feedback.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Strange, there were a number of categories that I didn't vote for anything and wasn't forced to.  It was only the Tabletop Game of the Year that I was forced to vote for something.  Something about that questions is different than the others.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on January 18, 2017, 07:09:12 PM
Strange, there were a number of categories that I didn't vote for anything and wasn't forced to.  It was only the Tabletop Game of the Year that I was forced to vote for something.  Something about that questions is different than the others.

the only required questions are the overall digital / tabletop games of the year.  The indiv categories are not required.

Sir Slash

I feel really O-L-D. I haven't played any of those games. Looking forward to the results and the bickering about it afterward.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 18, 2017, 07:34:00 PMand the bickering about it afterward.  ;D

nothing to bicker about - we've never hidden the fact that it's a popularity contest O0

don't like what the choices were?  why didn't you nominate something different?

Sir Slash

I have no problem with the games nominated, my point was just that I'm really out of the loop having played none of them. And if you think there won't be bickering, good-natured of course, then you don't know this crowd. All I have to do is say the word, "Combat Mission" once and......  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

there's already people bitching about what wasn't nominated over at BGG and others

Sir Slash

Not me and certainly no one should be finding any fault with the work of the very dedicated staff here at Grogs. But it's Human Nature to point-out differences in almost any category however it should always be done respectfully and never in a judgemental, mean-spirited way.

bayonetbrant

Polls close soon - getcher votes in this weekend!

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 19, 2017, 11:10:48 AM
there's already people bitching about what wasn't nominated over at BGG and others
Wha...? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces