Enemy Coast Ahead (dambusters raid)

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, March 08, 2015, 02:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

My apologies for my recent screw ups with the rules guys.  I'm still learning the game (and probably shouldn't be trying to process turns at the end of a 12 hour night shift. Like I'm doing now... :-[)

Anyway, once Stagger's rolled his save check, his wave breaks up as the surviving bomber (bombers if Young makes his save) tries to distance itself from the Me-109.

Once that's done, all bombers then try to locate the dam in the target acquisition phase.

Bart, 1st wave formation is uncoordinated and AJ-P is now flying independently from the wave.  As wave leader, Gibson will check to see if he can locate the dam.  Recon level in the Ruhr is 2 and the dam recon level is also 2.  This means Gibson's flight will need to roll a 7 or better on 2D6 to locate the dam.  If he doesn't make the first roll, you can elect to make a Persistent Attempt.  To do so, you must make a navigation check (7 or better on 2D6).  If you succeed, your flight will have found the dam.  If you fail the Persistent Attempt, the wave will break up and each aircraft will act independently next turn.  If you elect to forego the Persistent Attempt, the wave will loiter in the area and can try again next turn but it will not be broken up.

Same thing for AJ-P.  He'll need a 7 or better on 2D6 to find the dam.  He can make a persistent attempt if he fails his initial spotting attempt.  He needs a 6 or better because he has a veteran crew and isn't suffering from Gibson's map error.  If he tries and fails the persistent attempt, he'll become lost and will have to spend next turn trying to reorient himself during the navigation phase next turn.  Again, it's your choice to make the persistent attempt or not.

Stagger, if Shannon lived, he'll need a 7 or better to find the dam.  He can try a persistent attempt if he fails the initial acquisition.  If he decides to make a a persistent attempt, he'll need a 6 or better on 2D6.  If he fails, he'll end up missing and have to try to reorient next turn.

Young's plane will need a 7 or better to find the dam.  If he fails, he can also try a persistent attempt. Because of his map error, he'll need a 7 or better.  Again, if he fails that, he'll be lost and have to reorient next turn.

UCG, you have the only intact wave left, but it is uncoordinated.  To spot the dam, you'll need 7 or better on 2D6.  If that fails, Knight can make a persistent attempt.  He'll need a 7 or better.  If that fails, one plane will become separated from the wave but will not become lost, just act independently starting next turn.   It's your choice whether or not you want to make the persistent attempt if the initial one fails.

Staggerwing

Just as a 30mm cannon round explodes near the Lanc AJ-J's wing root Pilot Young makes a last ditch attempt to spoil the Bf-109's aim. He drops the nose and banks hard to the right...

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

(note:  above should be AJ-A, not AJ-J but I cannot edit because of the die roll)

AJ-A's left side main wing spar fails due to the near simultaneous cannon shell impact and sudden stress from the hard bank. The left wing folds up and separates from the fuselage, which immediately flips over to the left and then noses straight down into the ground. There is no time for anyone to take to the silk...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Silent Disapproval Robot

QuoteCorona controllers back in England note a marked increase in German radio traffic with confused reports of RAF heavy bombers spotted flying at low level.

German alert level goes to 2.

Stagger, you can check to see if Young spots the Mohne dam.

Staggerwing

You mean Shannon? Is AJ-L clear of the messerschmidt?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup, sorry.  I meant Shannon.  He's clear.  When a night-fighter successfully attacks a bomber, the wave breaks up and the survivors fly independently. 

Shannon can now attempt to locate the dam.

Barthheart

Gibson: "OK, everyone's eyes out the window and try and spot the bloody dam."

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 2, 3, total 5[/blockquote]

Barthheart

Co-pilot: "Not seeing anything Sir, just flat countryside."
Gibson: "Same on this side. Nav? How you way in the back there Tail?"
Nav: "Sorry, nothing sir."
Tailgunner: "Nothing but a large explosion some distance behind us sir."
Gibson: "Well keep looking! It's got to be here somewhere. The bloody thing's too big to move or hide."

(Persistent search nav check)

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9[/blockquote]

Barthheart

Co-pilot: "There it is! Just past the starboard wing tip."
Gibson: "Good job! Let's line 'er up."

Barthheart

Meanwhile in AJ-P for Popsie...

Martin: "Where the hell is everyone?!? Nav, where are we?"
Nav: "Sir, by my calculations the dam should be near enough to spot."
Martin: "Ah good. Everyone start looking."

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7[/blockquote]

Barthheart

Nose gunner: "It's right there in front of us, just left of center."
Martin: "Bloody good eyes! Bombardier, the plane is yours. Let's destroy this thing first go 'round, eh?"

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, Gibson spots the dam.  Because all the waves are uncoordinated, bombers will be arriving at different times determined by a D6 roll.  Gibson can launch a Very Light flare now and that will give all arriving bombers a -1 bonus on their arrival time roll.  It will also help with altitude checks during the bombing runs but the downside is that it also makes bombers easier to spot should a night-fighter show up during the attack phase.

A dam attack sequence lasts up to 8 turns and then the game turn advances one hour.

Barthheart

Gibson elects to use a Very Light.... need to get this dam.... and not waste the lives of the two bomber crews already down..... :(

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, roll a D6 for each of your 3 bombers.  Hopgood and Martin both get a -1 from the roll.  Gibson gets -1 for the light but suffers a +1  penalty for the map error.

Barthheart

Gibson:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

Hopgood:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6[/blockquote]

Martin:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4[/blockquote]