Furious: Off Trondhiem July 1942

Started by MengJiao, February 03, 2019, 09:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

I played a lot of games of PQ-17 solitaire.  The Germans won 3 out of 4 (lost the Graf Zep once).  So I brought in the Furious for game 5:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 03, 2019, 09:02:32 AM

I played a lot of games of PQ-17 solitaire.  The Germans won 3 out of 4 (lost the Graf Zep once).  So I brought in the Furious for game 5:

Game 5 was the first to be photographed (hence the 1 1) under GAME.  Taking a risky plunge on game turn 2 (high speed run), the Furious and Victorious launched about 60 torpedo planes and hit the Tirpitz for two rotations (the game counts "hits" by rotating the counter.  Two "hits" might be one really bad hit or 5 ordinary hits).  So adding the Furious to the PQ-17 set up seems to potentially change things a lot.

besilarius

Meng, I really enjoy your AARs.  They are original and very thoughtful.
If you're going further with the PQ17, you might enjoy this website for further Fleet Air Arm insight.
http://www.armouredcarriers.com/

Also, those torpedo hits on Tirpitz could be much worse than it sounds.  The armored belt did not go as deep as it should have, and that hit by Prince of Wales on Bismarck, shows the built in weakness.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

MengJiao

Quote from: besilarius on February 03, 2019, 12:21:05 PM
If you're going further with the PQ17, you might enjoy this website for further Fleet Air Arm insight.

Also, those torpedo hits on Tirpitz could be much worse than it sounds.  The armored belt did not go as deep as it should have, and that hit by Prince of Wales on Bismarck, shows the built in weakness.

Yeah, but aerial torpedoes tended to be kinda small.  On the other hand, the 5 games of solitaire PQ-17 were surprisingly fun.  I just played them without dummies and let the spotting rules and additional ahistoric ships keep things interesting.  Next game up for AAR will be Whistling Death.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 03, 2019, 04:44:03 PM

Yeah, but aerial torpedoes tended to be kinda small.  On the other hand, the 5 games of solitaire PQ-17 were surprisingly fun.  I just played them without dummies and let the spotting rules and additional ahistoric ships keep things interesting.  Next game up for AAR will be Whistling Death.

And HMS Furious was a very odd ship-- the only survivor of the three giant cruisers Courageous, Glorious and Furious and here is a Barracuda launching from a ski jump on Furious in 1944 to bomb the Tirpitz:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 03, 2019, 10:04:07 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 03, 2019, 04:44:03 PM

And HMS Furious was a very odd ship-- the only survivor of the three giant cruisers Courageous, Glorious and Furious and here is a Barracuda launching from a ski jump on Furious in 1944 to bomb the Tirpitz:

I was curious about how likely aerial torpedo hits on the Tirpitz would be.  I used slightly adapted Whistling Death rules (slow Devastators for Albacore factors, US cruiser AA factors for Tirpitz in 1942, Japanese torpedos for the Albacores) and torpedo hits seem pretty likely. In fact 13 Albacores got 3 flooding and one boiler hit on the Tirpitz.  50 or 60 Albacores would be a major problem for the Tirpitz.

besilarius

This is a very well thought out article on battleships by the authors of Shattered Sword.
Knowing your interest in the details, think you may enjoy this.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

MengJiao

Quote from: besilarius on February 06, 2019, 06:55:44 AM
This is a very well thought out article on battleships by the authors of Shattered Sword.
Knowing your interest in the details, think you may enjoy this.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm

Very cool!  Thanks 166.5!!!!