Bombings in Texas

Started by Labbug, March 20, 2018, 08:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

DoctorQuest

OK. So some of you HAVE been following this...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

My brother lives in Austin. I visit there at least two or three times a year with my family...shit's getting personal.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Another Unibomber type.  People losing their minds all the time these days.   :hide:

Hopefully this one will be easier to track down.

JasonPratt

Hopefully, but they're having a lot of trouble so far.  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

DoctorQuest

I understand they have found an unexploded device. That may give them some good clues.

Staggerwing

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 20, 2018, 07:17:02 PM
I understand they have found an unexploded device. That may give them some good clues.

Learning the design may lead them to the design source, most likely the internet. Finding all the places that the design is hosted will give them a start on search warrants for looking through all the ISPs records of who accessed those sites. Next comes geolocalizing all those hits with info from the package, as well as any trace evidence left on it and on those exploded fragment samples. Then comes cross checking all those localities and suspicious IP addresses with flagged internet postings expressing violence in case there are overlaps. After that comes searching local and internet suppliers for orders placed by any individuals in the closing circle for items used in the bombs such as specific nails used for shrapnel.

Time equals lives so hopefully the haystack grows rapidly smaller while the needle approaches visible size.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Looks like they got the guy

http://www.cbs17.com/news/national-news/austin-bombing-suspect-dead-after-officer-involved-incident-on-texas-interstate/1065352411

QuoteThe suspected Austin bomber is dead following an officer-involved shooting on Interstate 35, three law enforcement sources confirm to KXAN's Sally Hernandez.

The shooting happened on Interstate 35 in Round Rock near Old Settlers Boulevard around 2 a.m.

A source says the bomber blew up a device during the incident.

Round Rock police say while northbound I-35 is open, southbound I-35 will be closed for the next four to six hours due to the investigation.

RRPD says there is no immediate danger to the public.

A multi-agency investigation that spanned numerous locations and two cities over the span of several weeks led authorities to the suspect in Round Rock.

The first bombing happened on March 2 at a home located at 1112 Haverford Drive in northeast Austin. Anthony Stephan House, 39, died when he picked up a package on his front porch.

The second and third bombing happened 10 days later on March 12. The first explosion rocked Oldfort Hill Drive in east Austin at 6:44 a.m. Draylen Mason, 17, died at the scene. His mother was taken to the hospital with injuries.

The second explosion that day happened on Galindo Street in southeast Austin. Esperanza Morena Herrera, 75, was critically injured and remains hospitalized.

The fourth bombing happened in southwest Austin in the Travis Country neighborhood on Sunday, March 18 around 8:30 p.m. Two men in their 20s were injured when a tripwire bomb exploded on Dawn Song Drive. This case showed the serial bomber using a different method since in the first three cases involved packages left at homes.

The fifth explosion happened on Tuesday in Schertz at a FedEx sorting facility. That explosion led authorities to another suspicious package at the FedEx facility in southeast Austin. On the same day, local and federal authorities confirmed the serial bomber sent two packages from the FedEx shipping store on Brodie Lane.

Over the course of the investigation, KXAN discovered investigators visited numerous hardware stores across the city searching for evidence.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Reuters via Netscape: https://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/story/0002/20180321/KBN1GX0YG_8

QuotePolice had tracked the suspect to a hotel about 20 miles north of Austin, the state capital, and were following his vehicle when he pulled to the side of the road and detonated a device, killing himself, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley told reporters near the scene.

[...] Investigators had tracked him for a couple of days before closing in at an unidentified hotel in Round Rock, Texas, not for from his home in Pflugerville, Governor Greg Abbott told Fox News on Wednesday.

"We've known for a couple of days who the suspect likely was," Abbott said. "Law enforcement is at his house in Pflugerville where we are learning whether or not that was the location he was making his bombs."

The governor added that the suspect is believed to have lived with two roommates, who are not currently considered suspects, Abbott said.

Texas law enforcement officials blocked off the street where the suspect lived, not far from where the first bomb went off on March 2, killing one person.

He was a white male, and if they're cordoning off his house and street, and interviewing his roommates, then his name should be popping up soon one way or another.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Steelgrave

Glad they got the bastard. Kudos to the LE involved.

DoctorQuest

+1.

It will be interesting to see if they can figure out a motive.

MikeGER

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 21, 2018, 08:58:47 AM
+1.

It will be interesting to see if they can figure out a motive.

...he had a short fuse  ^-^

at least Austin is safe again  O0

JasonPratt

I think we can safely guess that part of his motive was for more people to know his name (eventually).  :knuppel2:

Beyond that, I can make some provisional guesses from past bombing experiences, but eh.