Skies Above The Reich

Started by Nefaro, January 15, 2016, 06:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Ohhh shit.   :o

Another solitaire air war game just landed.  A P500 at GMT. 

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-571-skies-above-the-reich.aspx

I'm sure this will hit the P500 mark in no time.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Ooooooooooooo......  :D

Now, if only the Loonie would stop sinking I might be able to afford it......  :tickedoff:

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Play.....as the Germans???   I'm so confused.  How am I supposed to bomb Berlin?

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 15, 2016, 07:13:08 PM
Play.....as the Germans???   I'm so confused.  How am I supposed to bomb Berlin?

With this one?

http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_TFT.html

"TARGET FOR TODAY is an advanced update of Glen Frank's classic game B17, QUEEN OF THE SKIES. Some familiarity with that game is assumed, but "TARGET FOR TODAY!" is a completely new  game—you do not need to own B-17, QUEEN OF THE SKIES to play it. New tables are included and the rules are organized according to the sequence of play in any typical mission."

Silent Disapproval Robot

How am I supposed to bomb Berlin at night?  You know, like God and Harris intended.

Pinetree

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 15, 2016, 07:24:23 PM
How am I supposed to bomb Berlin at night?  You know, like God and Harris intended.

Play it in the dark?
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Geezer

Apologies for the thread necro, but has anyone played Skies Above the Reich?  Was thinking about getting it, but wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts on it first.  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

ComradeP

My copy was, presumably, shipped last week and goes to a middleman first (Second Chance Games, through the Euro-friendly shipping option). I'm hoping it will be here later this month. I'll post some impressions when I get it.

I'm not sure if a VASSAL module is being worked on, I haven't checked any threads on the game over at CSW or elsewhere.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Nefaro

Quote from: Geezer on July 10, 2018, 07:24:13 AM
Apologies for the thread necro, but has anyone played Skies Above the Reich?  Was thinking about getting it, but wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts on it first.  Thanks.

I had signed up for the P500 quite awhile back but, sadly, had to reverse that decision more recently due to it's arrival time coinciding with my move.   :pullhair:

I may pick it up at retail eventually.  So much stuff going on, however, I'm not sure when.  Plus I have a DVG Kickstarter showing up soon too.

Geezer

Quote from: ComradeP on July 10, 2018, 11:40:43 AM
My copy was, presumably, shipped last week and goes to a middleman first (Second Chance Games, through the Euro-friendly shipping option). I'm hoping it will be here later this month. I'll post some impressions when I get it.

I'm not sure if a VASSAL module is being worked on, I haven't checked any threads on the game over at CSW or elsewhere.

According to this thread, a VASSAL version is being built:  https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2020972/vassal-future

Resistance is futile and I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger.  Waiting to hear back from Miniature Market on when they are getting copies.  If it's not "soon" I may just order direct from GMT.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Geezer

Geezer

Skies Above the Reich arrived yesterday. Set it up and played a quick '42 practice mission. It was brutal. We jumped the bombers near the target with 4 experten Bf-109 pilots. The bombers had 5 little friends (Spitfires) who were there for the whole mission although none of them ever intercepted us. Our fighters made two passes through the bombers and scored one or maybe two hits, I can't recall now. Meanwhile they got shredded between our own flak and return fire. All four aircraft ended up in the Fate boxes, two with severe cockpit damage and two with severe wing damage. Both aircraft with cockpit damage crashed with one pilot KIA and the other wounded. Both aircraft with wing damage exploded with both pilots KIA. We scored 0 VP's. Welcome to war! LOL

Geezer

Played another '42 mission today. Our 4 experten Bf-109's intercepted the bombers inbound to their target. Their little friends headed for home on turn 3 while we were climbing to make an oblique run out of the sun. I'll spare you most of the gory details. Our first pilot to attack crashed into a bomber which immediately disintegrated his aircraft while forcing the bomber to fall out of the formation. We inflicted 4 hits on another bomber but one of our fighters was forced to exit and head for home, lucky for him (!), while the other suffered severe cockpit damage. Our remaining fighter tried to attack two more times scoring no more hits and suffering a severe elevator hit on his last pass. No pilot was seen bailing from the fighter with the cockpit fire as it spiraled in. The fighter with the elevator damage crashed on landing and the pilot was killed. At least we scored 2 VP's for the fallen inbound bomber this time but lost 3 pilots KIA again. Ouch.