Blackwake Pirate Game

Started by jomni, August 05, 2017, 07:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Father Ted

Yeah, I've been following this also.  The only downside appears to be (from what I've read) that your enjoyment of the game is heavily dependent on others playing their roles correctly.  There's a similar issue with Squad - when it works it's a fantastic gaming experience, but it can be an inane waste of time.

Destraex

I too have been watching this and almost pulled the trigger multiple times. But the silliness has stopped me. Plus my infatuation with naval action.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Slick Wilhelm

That looks ridiculous. Like a warped Tim Burton knockoff.  :idiot2:

Boggit

IIRC there is a Mount and Blade Warband Mod that does Pirates. IIRC it is on the Moddb site, so could offer a viable alternative if you have M&B Warband already.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Quote from: Boggit on August 08, 2017, 04:26:24 PM
IIRC there is a Mount and Blade Warband Mod that does Pirates. IIRC it is on the Moddb site, so could offer a viable alternative if you have M&B Warband already.

Is it the same as this paid version? http://store.steampowered.com/app/413710/Blood_and_Gold_Caribbean/
I have it but it's not polished.

Philippe

It's one of the few games that I've gotten a refund for.  The costumes are good for the 17th century and it uses a convincing map of the Caribbean, but that's about it.  Personal combat may or may not be better than Sea Dogs, but naval combat (apart from boarding) is inferior.  I don't even find the boarding convincing.  The geography in Sea Dogs is atrocious and the towns spin off into fantasy, but Sea Dogs does a much better job of building a convincing world, for all its faults. 
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

jomni

Ok.  Blackwake is indeed fun if you're into arena mulitplayer games and not looking for realism.  Very team oriented and so far the players have been alright.  You get occasionaly inexperienced captains.  But once you get on board a ship helmed by an experienced captain (with a mic) and manned by a cooperative crew, the game just works. The devs thoughtfully did implement some keyboard command queues for those captains without mics.  But voice is always easier.  I prefer being part of a crew of a small ship than galleon.

Boggit

Quote from: jomni on August 08, 2017, 04:59:28 PM
Quote from: Boggit on August 08, 2017, 04:26:24 PM

Is it the same as this paid version? http://store.steampowered.com/app/413710/Blood_and_Gold_Caribbean/
I have it but it's not polished.
Yes, I think that is the one. If I remember rightly, it started as a free mod like Brytenwalda - now polished up as Viking Conquest.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat