Main Menu

Star Ruler 2

Started by Jarhead0331, July 17, 2014, 09:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I am not sure what I said that got you so fired up over this game Huw...I said I did not like it because I don't find it immersive (ridiculous) to be controlling thousands of ships. To me it does not matter whether I actually have to build them or whether their autobuild as support ships once I build a flagship. I'm still forcing a big blob of ships over to another sector. I  don't want to have to Control tons of ships and spam colonization.

I don't like it ...that doesn't mean the game sucks and it doesn't mean you don't have to like it. I just gave you the reasons I don't care for it. How that means I shouldn't be playing strategy games I don't know I've been playing them for 20 years. I simply don't like the mechanics of this one. Plenty of other space for Bice I love like distant worlds, galactic civilizations, masters of Orion, etc

As for whether it is realistic to think that a galaxy spanning Empire would have control of thousands of ships.  I don't know we never had one before we all have in our own mind what it supposed to look like and to me, this isnt it...that's all
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Huw the Poo

Quote from: mikeck on May 11, 2015, 03:36:11 PM
I am not sure what I said that got you so fired up over this game Huw.

Because you levelled an unfair accusation at it, no more, no less.  You'll notice that was the only point I picked up on and ignored everything else you said. I ignored most of other people's criticisms of the game too.  There's no accounting for taste and I certainly wouldn't berate someone for simply not liking a game.  I don't give a shit who likes it or who doesn't.  What I do give a shit about is that you said that controlling 5 flagships is ridiculous when it clearly isn't.

mikeck

Well, it's ridiculous to me to control five flagships when they each  come with hundreds of ships. "Ridiculous" is pretty subjective considering there's never been a galaxy-wide empire that were aware of that we can go by. It's my opinion and I stated as much. The comment was also closely associated with the fact that I can make a ship the size of a planet

Either way, it wasn't a shot at the game, it was my opinion is all.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dread Rlyeh

But a ship the size of a moon, perhaps we could call it the Stella Mortis, thats ok?   :)

j/k - though I do agree with Sandman about the "fish planet" business - something like tier 1 planets producing "low order hydrocarbons" or somesuch scfi-babble would be preferable.   I haven't had much time to play lately due to the massive backlog I have - not the worst problem I must confess. 

Sparhawk

It seems that many are as polarized over this game as the original Star Ruler. I agree that some aspects of the game aren't as immersive as other games and I know I won't log as many hours on it as I have on Distant Worlds and other great space 4x games I've played because of that, but don't overlook this game because of the traditional immersion paradigm we all share. I knew I'd have to adjust my expectations coming into this, especially after my frustrations with the original game. This game presents a legitimate challenge that is refreshing and has caught my interest. Aurora it is not, but is very original in its own right.

JasonPratt

I for one am seriously considering getting it, though perhaps not this week. Yet.  :crazy2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

vyshka

An expansion comes out for this tommorow, Star Ruler 2: Wake of the Heralds.

Anguille

Quote from: vyshka on April 21, 2016, 11:46:15 PM
An expansion comes out for this tommorow, Star Ruler 2: Wake of the Heralds.
Interesting....any link with info?

Tpek

Nefaro

I've owned SR2 since January.  Still haven't played it.   :crazy2:

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on April 22, 2016, 04:26:26 AM
I've owned SR2 since January.  Still haven't played it.   :crazy2:

I've owned SR2 for nearly a year, still haven't played it  :buck2:

sandman2575

Yeah, me too. SR2 just didn't grab me in the few minutes I put into it. Ditto for its predecessor.

The SR games just feel weirdly lifeless to me. Totally a subjective thing, but I never felt drawn into the universe it was trying to depict. I always remained highly aware of the fact that "Here I am, playing this game." Never achieved that "willing suspension of disbelief," to quote one of my heroes, S.T. Coleridge.

vyshka

I haven't spent nearly enough time with it. There seem to be some very interesting ideas/mechanics that they put into the game. The card system for Diplomacy, and the way planets depend on each other and how they become more powerful is interesting. You can't have an empire full of super planets. You have low level planets providing resources to higher level planets in some sort of pyramid scheme.

vyshka

Tom Chick was playiing the expansion last night and streamed it:

Nefaro

I like the card diplomacy concept (mini-game).  Part of the reason I purchased it.

Not so sure about linking your planets so intimately in supply routes with exclusive resources for each planet.  Not so much a problem with linking them, but with such extremely specialized planets being so highly dependent on others.  Looks more like playing "Connect The Dots".

The tech "tree", while containing some interesting stuff, has a confusing mess of a UI.  The screenshot of the expansion seems to have spread it out for better visibility ..?

I plan on playing it sometime, despite my mixed and under-informed impressions.