Main Menu

Anti-virus software

Started by Jarhead0331, March 13, 2018, 05:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

As many of you will have no doubt read, I had a major system corruption that required professional intervention to repair and AV software may have played a role in the problem. In discussing my issue with the tech, he said something that really surprised me.

He argued that although he generally hates windows and Microsoft, their anti virus protection is very good and a separate anti virus program like mcafee, Norton, webroot, etc. is not required. He said it's one thing windows does well. I've never heard this before...thoughts???
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

In all the many, many years I've used Windows, I have only used anti-virus software one time. And had problems with it. McAfee was the absolute worse. I've never had any issues with just using the built in Windows stuff. That said, I am very careful about what sites I visit, what programs I download and runs, links I visit, etc.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MikeGER

atm, i am using Avira free version (windows defender is deactivated)  and don't had any problems yet

in the past i remember that i had false-positive pattern found on some Battlefront Combat Mission .exe after updates  (IIRC it was CM Italy) and Avira pushed that .exe into quarantine, and i had to exclude it for a short time until they sorted it out.

I also heard the stuff that comes with windows is pretty decent now.

mirth

For several years now, I have only used Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Once in a while, I'll run Spybot as an extra measure. Haven't had any issues.

McAfee and Norton are terrible. I consider them malware.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

^Good point. I also will run Spybot, Adaware, or TrendMicro Housecall on occasion.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

I was running Avast until about a year ago on all our PCs. Removed it and just run MS Defender and Firewall.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Pete Dero

Quote from: MikeGER on March 13, 2018, 07:01:35 AM
in the past i remember that i had false-positive pattern found on some Battlefront Combat Mission .exe after updates  (IIRC it was CM Italy) and Avira pushed that .exe into quarantine, and i had to exclude it for a short time until they sorted it out.

Had the same problem with AVG and Battlefront installers (problem solved with current versions).

I am using AVG Internet Security (paid version) for many years now without any issues.

I also run Malwarebytes (free version) once a week.

Gusington

I use Panda which is good but does give you pop ups often to upgrade.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Very interesting. I had no idea that the annual subscription fees and hassle of third-party AV wasn't necessary anymore...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Hofstadter

I use the free version of avast for active protection and malwarbytes for a full scan.

Been doing that for years and have never had a virus problem
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Greybriar

Quote from: mirth on March 13, 2018, 07:10:13 AM
For several years now, I have only used Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Once in a while, I'll run Spybot as an extra measure. Haven't had any issues.

For years before I purchased my Windows 10 PC I used AVG AntiVirus FREE with excellent results. Since I've had my latest PC, I have only used Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. As far as I know, there have been no issues due to either of them.

McAfee and Norton are so bad that I would do without any anti-virus protection at all before I would use either of them.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on March 13, 2018, 07:10:13 AM

Same for me - also I run Malwarebytes occasionally and a proper full scan using Windows built in AV every Sunday
Alba gu' brath

Huw the Poo

I'm late to the party since I've had no internet connection for two days.  But I will also say that the guy is absolutely right.  When I used to use Windows at home, I only ever used Microsoft's built-in security software.  I mean, who better to secure an OS than the company that designed it, right?  It works for all other operating systems.  On Linux people only ever install antivirus software if they're sharing a network with a Windows machine. :D

As others have said, even with the best intentions commercial antivirus applications do far more harm than good.

mirth

We have AVG at the office and the daily upsell popups are very annoying. At least once a day and often 2-3 times, there's some BS popup.

The last AV software I ran at home was Panda, but I grew tired of the ads and dumped it. Ever since Win7, the built-in MS protection has been very good. I keep Windows Defender updated and let it run once a week.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Ultimately, the best AV solution is browsing/clicking discipline. Don't automatically click on every 'LOLZ' email from your tech-ignorant friends and don't surf p0rn on the same computer you do your banking on. Ever. Get a separate one for that. With spill-proof keyboard.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys