How do you like this?

Started by Greybriar, November 14, 2016, 01:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I'm tired of the delay, indecision, and mistrust involved in choosing a new PC. So I am ready to pull the trigger on this build. I decided against overclocking in favor of system stability and not voiding the original warranty from Intel. Since I wasn't planning on using the Solid State Drive for anything but the operating system, I took the smallest one available. Anyway, here's the build right now:

Falcon Northwest Custom Confirmation

Here is your customized Mach V system configuration.

System Details

Chassis
ICON2 - Black Anodized
Chassis Logo Insert
White Light
Chassis Fan Kit
Performance Fan Pack
Sound Dampening
AcoustiPack Sound Dampening Foam
Power Supply
SilverStone® 1000 Watt Modular
Chipset
Intel® X99
Motherboard
Asus® X99 Rampage V Edition 10
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 6800K 3.6GHz
Processor Overclock
No Processor Overclock
Processor Cooler
Asetek® Liquid Cooling - Mach V
Memory
32GB - 4x8GB - 2400MHz - DDR4
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB
Sound Card
On-Board Audio
Networking
On-Board Ethernet
Operating System Drive
Micron® 1100 SSD 256GB - OS
Data Drive 1
Western Digital® Red™ 6TB
Optical Drive
Asus® 16x DVD Writer
Optical Drive 2
Asus® 16x Blu-Ray Writer
64-Bit Operating System
Microsoft® Windows 10 Pro
USB Rescue Drive
USB Rescue Drive
System Documentation
Falcon Northwest Manual
Warranty
3 Year Warranty - Mach V
Speakers
Logitech® Z-313 2.1

Shipping Options
UPS Ground : 145.63
UPS 2-Day : 378.51
UPS Overnight : 586.08
USPS (APO Only) : 555.00
UPS 3 DAY : 222.00

Total System Price: $4,132.00

Edited due to change in system specifications. So my post below.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Bison

Damn!  Very nice.  I would caution against the smaller SSD even though the intention is for OS only.  That space fills up quickly and unintentionally.

OJsDad

As Bison say's, with the SSD for your OS.  I've got similar sized SSD for my OS, and only have 77gb left, and that with no music or movies on that drive. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Greybriar

I know that, by default, many programs (including games!) are installed on the systems (C:\) drive. I had to watch for that after I installed a new hard drive for my games. Otherwise I don't understand why the systems drive should fill up. :-\ But thanks for mentioning it you two.

In a last ditch effort to save money (about $4,000!), I took my broken down Windows 7 machine to the shop. I learned the pump had failed on the liquid cooling system. After that is fixed and the repairman checks the system over, I will know whether I should keep it or just buy a new system.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Greybriar

For reasons I won't go into here, I decided to take the plunge and buy a new Talon from Falcon Northwest. It will be somewhat of an early Christmas present to myself. Here is the build the technician at Talonsoft suggested and which I ordered:

System Details

Chassis
Talon - Standard Black
Power Supply
SilverStone® 1000 Watt Modular
Chipset
Intel® Z170
Motherboard
Asus® Z170 Deluxe
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 6700K 4.2GHz
Processor Overclock
No Processor Overclock
Processor Cooler
Asetek® Liquid Cooling - Talon
Memory
32GB - 2x16GB - 2400MHz - DDR4
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB
Sound Card
On-Board Audio
Networking
On-Board Ethernet
Operating System Drive
Samsung® 950 Pro M.2 SSD 512GB - OS
Data Drive 1
Western Digital® Red™ 6TB
Optical Drive
Asus® 16x DVD Writer
Optical Drive 2
Asus® 16x Blu-Ray Writer
64-Bit Operating System
Microsoft® Windows 10 Pro
USB Rescue Drive
USB Rescue Drive
System Documentation
Falcon Northwest Manual
Warranty
3 Year Warranty - Talon
Speakers
Logitech® Z-313 2.1

Shipping Options
UPS Ground : 97.09
UPS 2-Day : 252.34
UPS Overnight : 390.72
USPS (APO Only) : 370.00
UPS 3 DAY : 148.00

Total System Price: $3,822.00

bbmike

^ That's not near enough power.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

Quote from: bbmike on November 29, 2016, 08:23:25 PM
^ That's not near enough power.  ::)

My current computer that I bought six years ago came with a 750 watt power supply. I wanted my new gaming PC to be prepared to handle anything I could throw at it, so I ordered a 1000 watt power supply for it.

bbmike

I think you'll be fine for a few more years.  O0

[edit]Forgot to say that is an awesome, awesome system!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Don't mind me.  I'll just be sitting over here, turning green with envy.  (At least then I'll match the shirt I'm currently wearing...)  ::) 

Seriously, though, that's an impressive rig Greybriar.  Hope you enjoy it! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Greybriar

Thanks guys. I'd better enjoy it--it cost twice as much as my last gaming rig which had cost twice as much as the computer before it.

As a friend of mine used to say: "The difference between the men and the boys is the price of their toys." I guess she was right. :)

Gusington

I was gonna say...1000 watt power supply - SEXYTIME

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

I'm due a new rig after Christmas. The hell with the Jones', it looks like I'm gonna have to keep up with the Greybriars'  8)

Sweet, sweet system, Greybriar. Congrats!

Bison

Greybriar